Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
New Camper

Newbie with a 2017 Sunset Trail 320BH

Hi all,

Recently purchased a 2017 Sunset Trail Super Lite 320BH. One question I have is regarding the septic system. The tank flush system advises you ensure the termination valves are fully open. Is that referring to the grey and black tank valves you use to dump the tanks? Also, do you have to close the black before dumping the grey? Thanks in advance for any advise given.
Mackin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Don't put to much pressure to the tank flush or the thingy under the sink will leak . Some people leave the valve shut but do not walk away or leave it running to long. . And yes ,shut black before opening grey valve. Rinse hose after grey done and put hose away.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #3
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Don't put to much pressure to the tank flush or the thingy under the sink will leak . Some people leave the valve shut but do not walk away or leave it running to long. . And yes ,shut black before opening grey valve. Rinse hose after grey done and put hose away.

Thanks Harley!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Another way to see how things are done is to walk over to the dump station and observe how some seasoned campers do theirs.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #5
Gone Traveling

You can leave the grey open while hooked to sewer as it/they fill faster from sinks /showers & close a day or 2 before draining the black so you have grey water to flush the hose after draining the black. NEVER leave the black valve open while camping, it needs as much liquid as possible to clear the tank. When rinsing/flushing the black (always use a separate hose for any holding tank needs, not your fresh water/drinking hose) hook the water hose up with black drain valve closed & run a bit then open drain valve ( you need a clear 45-90 degree or straight piece) til most of it runs out, close black valve & run water a few minutes, NEVER LEAVE UNATTENDED, open valve & repeat this til water runs fairly clear, at this point you could add a healthy squirt of dish/laundry soap in the toilet if desired & rinse til no suds, disconnect water hose as it doesn't work in the grey tanks, open 1-2 grey valves til they stop running, rinse sewer hose from water hose & store everything away.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Open the black tank and let it drain. (Always keep the black closed even at full hookups. Only open to drain.) Connect a hose and not your drinking hose to the tank flush. I have my pressure reducer attached to the park spigot. Then I have a Y with 2 shut offs. One for my city water and the other is for utility purpose and to flush the tank. Then I have an in line valve at the end of the hose for flushing the tank. This allows me to turn it on and off without leaving it. After the water drains from the black I slowly turn it on and start flushing the tank. Sometimes I close the black tank and let it fill a little. BUT DON"T LEAVE IT ALONE! If you walk away and forget you can over fill the tank sending not so nice stuff into your RV. It helps to have a clear elbow at the sewer connection so you can see if the tank is clean. Clear water also doesn't mean its's clean. I flush it a few times and stuff seems to always come out. When your done add about a gallon or so of fresh water and drop a holding tank treatment packet. I like Oxy Kem you can get it at Walmart.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Do NOT trust or rely on your electronic tank levels indicators to determine when your black tank is full if you are going to keep the valve closed for even a short while when using the flush. Even if your unit is brand new and you think that everything is working properly. Never ever. Yes you want a lot of water in the black tank when you're finally ready to empty it, so you may opt to use the flush kit to add water before opening the valve. But you've been warned. Ask me how I know...!!! You really do not want that water backing up and coming out of the toilet into your nice new and relatively clean unit, especially when your indicator states you're still at 1/3 full. The clean up is just not fun.
Prev.: '05 GMC Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
CenterLine HD (original)
1 wife, 5 kids, 1 rescue lab-mix
FezUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You can leave the grey open while hooked to sewer as it/they fill faster from sinks /showers & close a day or 2 before draining the black so you have grey water to flush the hose after draining the black. NEVER leave the black valve open while camping, it needs as much liquid as possible to clear the tank. When rinsing/flushing the black (always use a separate hose for any holding tank needs, not your fresh water/drinking hose) hook the water hose up with black drain valve closed & run a bit then open drain valve ( you need a clear 45-90 degree or straight piece) til most of it runs out, close black valve & run water a few minutes, NEVER LEAVE UNATTENDED, open valve & repeat this til water runs fairly clear, at this point you could add a healthy squirt of dish/laundry soap in the toilet if desired & rinse til no suds, disconnect water hose as it doesn't work in the grey tanks, open 1-2 grey valves til they stop running, rinse sewer hose from water hose & store everything away.

Great advise!! Thanks!!

Old 08-14-2017, 09:18 PM   #9
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FezUSA View Post
Do NOT trust or rely on your electronic tank levels indicators to determine when your black tank is full if you are going to keep the valve closed for even a short while when using the flush. Even if your unit is brand new and you think that everything is working properly. Never ever. Yes you want a lot of water in the black tank when you're finally ready to empty it, so you may opt to use the flush kit to add water before opening the valve. But you've been warned. Ask me how I know...!!! You really do not want that water backing up and coming out of the toilet into your nice new and relatively clean unit, especially when your indicator states you're still at 1/3 full. The clean up is just not fun.

Great advise!! Thanks!!

Old 08-15-2017, 04:05 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

All good advice. Welcome to the forum.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote