Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
New Camper

Just brought home a very nice barely used '08 CT31RL for my first foray into RVing!! Currenty my TV is a 1/2 ton Silverado Ext Cab w/5.3 engine. Pulls fine but there is a lot of tongue weight on this particular unit.

Doing a lot of reading, waiting on my WD hitch, and stocking the TT. Any advice from you pros will be appreciated. Most of my camping will be short weekend trips with an occasional 4 hr pull to the mountains. Maybe with my TV, to the foothills!

The prior owner gave me his complete setup in the deal. So I have hoses, chocks, sewer hose, tank chems, jack blocks, and various odds & ends. So now it's off to register, get insurance, and go camping.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Cruiser's. You'll find a great group of knowledgeable people here ready and willing to help.
My first thought is your TV sounds a little light for that rig especially pulling through the mountains but then I have a fifth wheel and don't know about towing low.
It's nice that you got all the goodies included with it, that will save you a bunch of money.
Enjoy your new rig!

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:00 AM   #3
New Camper

Thanks for the welcome.

Yep, the tow weight is within the max, but the tongue weight of 1070 lbs is too much. The WD hitch will help but not all that much. Go slow.....be carefull is my new motto!

Old 08-04-2010, 01:21 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Came home last night after seeing my cousins new to them 36' Class A, a 2 year-old Holiday Rambler with 5,000 miles. They will meet us at a CG next weekend so I can give them a few tips. There is much to learn about RViing. If you have no one to accompany you on your "virgin" outing there are a few things you need to know about....and if you have any questions I bet someone at the CG would be glad to help out, we are a great group, most of us infatuated with camping, and anxious to help out. Even though we may stare as you attempt to back in that 30some footer, we grin a little, but at ourselves as we recall some of our experiences when we first got our RV, some still make rookie mistakes, as several of the attendies will attest as I left the rally several weeks back.....with my antenna still up (1) Before you leave----make sure trailer tires are properly inflated, check trailer lights. (2) Stay safe....chock trailer tires before unhitching...beware of WD bars. (3) Get poop on the way the poop tank works, and it's connections, emptying etc. (4) Level B4 extending slides (5) Understand the propane system/fridge/waterheater/stove. There's a ton of stuff---but this should get you started---make lists---set up/take down---hitch up etc. I bet others will chime in as well.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:48 AM   #5
New Camper

Thanks, I'm trying to absorb it all!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:32 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I have a 2007 CT31RL and am pulling it with a 03 1/2 ton Quad Steer, 4 X 4 with a 5.3 eng and a 373 rear end. I did install a temp guage for the trans. and have pulled this unit about 10,000 miles. Was in the mts. up about 8500 feet in yellowstone and in some other places and it did labor the eng but we made it ok. Brakes are a bit weak so you must plan ahead. Have an equal 4 way hitch, and still get about 1 1/2 inch sag in truck, but going to install some type of helper bag or spring. If you need any other info e mail me and I will give you full details.
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:14 AM   #7
New Camper

I think with some HD tires (need new ones anyway), I'll be ok for 90% of where I want to go. My fear is that I'll have trouble on some of the long climbing grades in the mts. I'll use it on the flat land for awhile to get used to it before I make that trek.

Is your empty tongue weight same as mine 1070lbs?

Thanks very much for your offer of help, and I'm sure I'll be asking you questions when I get edumacated enough to know what to ask.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Yes, tires good idea, I put new ones on but when with the factory size 245 but should have moved up to the 265 and thats ok with Chevy. You will need to change your computer for the bigger tires. Last year I drove from Kingman AZ to Lag. Vegas and there were some tough Mts. Lost speed but kept the RPM no higher than 4000. Trans temp got to 250 and outside temp was 110. Was ready to pull off and let things cool when we topped the mt. and going down everything cooled off. Going thru Reno had to stop on a 7% incline due to a bus broke down on the high way, and just pulled it down into low and had no problem starting out. Going out of Yellowstone on the east side nice long steep down hills, and did use first and second a lot to keep speed down and to save the brakes. Tongue weight about the same. I only carry about 15 gal of water to reduce trailer weight, but if you fill it up you will reduce tongue weight since the tank is in the very back. I also empty all holding tanks before hitting the road. My direct email is robbiecarol@yahoo.com. Robbie
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Congrats on your trailer....I have the same version only a 2009 model. Pulling this trailer with a 1/2 ton truck will be challenging due to the weight involved. I am glad you recognize your possible limitations in the mountain areas, but there other considerations as well, like wind. I witnessed this first hand on a recent trip to minnesota. Going into minnesota on I-94 there was a 30-mph headwind. You could definitely which people did not have enough truck to pull their trailer as they were really struggling to make it up the hills in wisconsin, not to mention the trailer sway. Depending on your axle ratio, you could be about 3500 pounds overweight or only about 1500, according to Trailer Lifes tow ratings. Loaded up, these trailers can reach just over 11K. I don't want to be a damper on your parade, but safety is a concern with trailers of this size.
Now onto the fun stuff....You had mentioned tires. I just upgraded to a set of "E" rated carlisle tires to better handle the weight of the trailer. I noticed a small bulge in my mission tires before our trip to minnesota, so a quick trip to Discount Tire solved that problem. I had them balanced as well. The trailer handled very well given all of the conditions we went through on the trip. I have also added LED lighting on both the interior and exterior of the trailer. I also modified the circuit panel to separate the more higher amp draw devices to keep them from overheating and tripping out. I also added a detachable power cord as I got tired of trying to stuff the cord in the compartment and as a way to eliminate a means of critter entry.
Feel free to give also give me an email if you have any other questions on this forum. There is a lot of great information here.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
New Camper

Thanks for your advice. I realize that I'm gonna be power challenged with my Silverado TV. The tranny is 3.42 and that makes it even worse. We'll take a few short trips to try it out and if it's to bad maybe I can trade for an older guzzler someone wants to get rid of.

The trailer weighs 6400 or so lbs and if my wife loads it to 11K, I'm in real trouble!! Hopefully with the WDH and sway control I'll be ok short term.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

good thread..thanks for your post and everyone's replied..