Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Sunset Trail Reserve 5ver on our wish list

Our family of 5 is located in Colorado. We currently camp in a popup towed by a minivan. Looking to upgrade to a truck and a 5ver in the next year or so to allow us to spend more time out on a single trip, and make long hauls a bit more bearable.

We attended an RV show and loved what we saw in the Sunset Trail and Sunset Trail Reserve fifth wheel and travel trailers. The TT's we liked we'd be pushing the limits of a 1/2 ton truck with 5 people and if we're going up to 3/4 ton we might as well go for the 5th wheel for maneuverability especially through the mountain passes.

Hoping to learn from current owners which floor plans work for a "large" family, as well as which features they love and hate and how well their tow vehicles are working for them, as we don't own that yet either.
COCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Welcome!

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome! For a large family, you'll probably want to look at the bunk house models, those with BH as the last 2 letters of the model in the Sunset Trail line.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Go into their site and look at the cruiser line CF345BH We have the earlier model and like it very much. When the Grand kids are with us they have their own room that the door can be shut, and we can continue our activities. by the same token they can go in there and do their own thing.
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I have my heart set on a Sunset Trail Reserve SF29BH. I saw the CF345BH and it looks like it would be really nice, but not sure it's the experience we really want or something we could comfortably tow. We like the feel of camping and spend as much time outdoors and away from the campsite as possible.

Took a lot for me to come to the realization that a 5th wheel is the way to go for our future plans. I've always been a tent or pop-up kind of camper. We were originally looking at a hybrid as the upgrade from the pop-up and next thing you know we're at TT and 5th wheels.

We have to find the right balance between size, weight and price. Since we don't own the tow vehicle yet that has to factor into the purchase, and with a family of 5 we need the crew/mega cabs and have to account for that on the payload calculation. Plus we live at 7000ft so we've been informed that with a gas engine we need to knock 20% off the tow capacity from the start.

Hence the "wish list". We have a 1 to 2 year plan, so that we can make sure we match up the TV and the trailer properly.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have had that rig with a 2500 Dodge Cummins mega cab over Monarch Red Mountain Coal pass with no trouble, just me though
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

What every you pick have a great time.
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #8
Site Team

The floor plan of the SF29BH is very similar to my SF270BH. I love the open roominess when the slides are out. I've had mine at a race track with 4 adult men, 1 teenage boy and 3 dogs. We were comfortable there for all 4 nights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFBH.jpg (140.9 KB, 7 views)

2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Old 02-24-2015, 08:11 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Yeah that SF270BH is very close. Looks like they added just a couple feet of length to get that bathroom entry and a bit more storage. Good to know. Because we'd totally consider a used when the time comes, and that'll give us another model option. I think the SF29BH replaced yours for 2015.

I know the opposite slides make it really spacious inside. Ever have any issues feeling TOO wide when setup? That's what I'm most concerned about this floor plan, having the kitchen slide out making the site feel cramped when all is setup. We saw the TT version without the kitchen slide and felt that was still plenty spacious. But staying away from the TT if we're going to go in the 30+ foot lengths.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #10
New Camper

I hope this thread gets lots of traffic. You summarized my situation perfectly. We discovered the SF29BH by way of the travel trailer version ST28BH. We however want the easier tow a fifth wheel provides and may double tow with a boat.
Turtypointbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
The floor plan of the SF29BH is very similar to my SF270BH. I love the open roominess when the slides are out. I've had mine at a race track with 4 adult men, 1 teenage boy and 3 dogs. We were comfortable there for all 4 nights.
Can you comment on any negative attributes of your trailer? Anything you would change?
Old 02-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

We went that same route. We had seen the sunset 5th wheels previously but had "ruled out" 5th wheels as an option due to the size truck we'd require to tow it regularly at this altitude and then higher through the mountain passes. We were checking out the ST28BH at an RV show last month thinking we'd get a 1/2 ton tow vehicle. A dealer and a manufacturer rep were talking with us about other layout options and required tow vehicles. Based on their info and similar info we received from other folks (dealers and friends who tow) we realized that even that TT we should look at 3/4 ton truck to accommodate our family payload and the altitude.

We really liked what we were seeing in the trailer itself and features, but we loved the no-pressure discussion that the dealer and rep provided us. They were very helpful. So we specifically checked out the 5th wheels. Grabbed the card from the dealer and will definitely talk to them when the time comes.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCamping View Post
Ever have any issues feeling TOO wide when setup? That's what I'm most concerned about this floor plan, having the kitchen slide out making the site feel cramped when all is setup.
Last year we camped on the hill inside the Hog Pen turn at Virginia International Raceway. The sites were chalked off at 20' wide. My table/couch slide encroached about 6" into my neighbor's site, but they did not mind. We had met them the previous year and they had their camper turned around so it would open up to their friends' camper on the other side. My awning extended to the line on the other side that was occupied by a MH.

When we return this year, one of my sons is bringing his TT, and we are going to get 2 adjoining sites and face our campers towards each other.

We had plenty of room at Talladega.

I haven't had any problems with width at campgrounds.

2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Old 02-25-2015, 05:58 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtypointbuck View Post
Can you comment on any negative attributes of your trailer? Anything you would change?
I would like a little more basement storage. The area where battery is located doesn't really have enough room for 2 batteries. I'd like to carry 2 batteries. I'd like to have a walkable roof, but that is rare on lightweight trailers.

2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Old 02-26-2015, 07:15 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
I hope this thread gets lots of traffic. You summarized my situation perfectly. We discovered the SF29BH by way of the travel trailer version ST28BH. We however want the easier tow a fifth wheel provides and may double tow with a boat.
Not sure how I've missed them previously. Have you checked out the Reserve floorpans? I just noticed the RFZ27BH. Triple bunks, granted one of them is a mattress on the floor, but we have 3 kids and a dog, that floor mattress will make a world of a difference. And likely have space for the kids to store a duffle bag on their bunk and not have to worry about storing all their clothing in the bedroom area. Though I'd lose the door directly into the bathroom, which I suspect is a great feature with kids, and would be able to keep them from dragging every bit of dirt and mud through the trailer for a bathroom break.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:28 AM   #16
New Camper

Yes I am interested in the Reserves. It seems CrossRoads also has a ReZerve line. I have not seen a ReZerve camper yet, however I really am torn between the ST28BH and the SF29BH. I just need to learn more about the pros and cons of each. I just priced the SF. It seems the fiver is 5-6k more. In some ways I want the back of the truck empty with the TT, but also want a great tow like with a fiver (with option of double towing boat). I have no experience with towing TTs. How much worse are they to tow?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
I have no experience with towing TTs. How much worse are they to tow?
I have heard nothing buy good reviews on this hitch. Everybody says it is as good as towing a 5er.
If I was going with a TT I would spend the extra money on it for sure.

Trailer Sway Elimination | Sway Control | Truck RV Trailer Hitch Accessories | ProPride, Inc.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Yes I am interested in the Reserves. It seems CrossRoads also has a ReZerve line. I have not seen a ReZerve camper yet, however I really am torn between the ST28BH and the SF29BH. I just need to learn more about the pros and cons of each. I just priced the SF. It seems the fiver is 5-6k more. In some ways I want the back of the truck empty with the TT, but also want a great tow like with a fiver (with option of double towing boat). I have no experience with towing TTs. How much worse are they to tow?
I meant to reference ReZerve. I think my computer autocorrected it. I just noticed the RFZ27BH and RFZ32BH 5th wheels today. Similar layout minus the kitchen slide. I'm concerned by setup width, so these might be perfect for my comfort level.

We haven't towed a TT, only a popup with a minivan. But we've spoken to many friends around our area that have towed both a TT and a fiver. They'd take the fiver over any TT with the mountain passes we all drive over and the winds that come with them. They feel more stable with the 5ver. I also have a friend with a 34ft TT and they have no problems, but they live in a different area of the country with no mountains and less wind. So I'd think a lot depends on where you'll be towing most frequently as well.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #19
Site Team

My SF270BH is about 13.5' wide with both slides extended. My awning extends about 7' - 8' beyond the kitchen slide which makes the entire thing a little over 20' wide with the awning fully extended.

2023 Rockwood 2445WS