Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
New Camper

After a month waiting for an upgrade, hauled that big boy back home a few days ago. Last trailer was a 30' Gulfstream Conquest...1991, so was due. Both of us are retired, and just as soon as the grandkids are full timers at school, will be taking longer trips. Longest trips in the past was 3 weeks. This one has slide outs!!! I know... they have been around for a while, but I'm still excited.

Read other forumsthat some owners (mind you... numbers are small)hadslide-out failures, etc, so purchased additional 6 year "pin to rear bumper" warranty.

A few things I plan on doing to the trailer, and thought I would ask on everyone's feedback.
1. Rocker panel paint on the front frame/I-beam to guard against stone chips.
2. Rocker paint on the gas line (brand new and it looks like my 1998 Express brake lines).
3. Anyone had their underbody framerust preventive sprayed? (Krown Rust) Bad idea?
4. Replace screw attachmentto "push-to-open" fasteners (similar to panel on converter)on water pump and hot water tank access panels.

All in all, its a great unit, and did I say its BIG?? I could jump and almost touch the top of my old trailer....but this one, I need to jump just to get the first step!!!

lpn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Welcome and enjoy the new rig.
I agree with painting the gas lines that run under the trailer with something - mine are already rusting and we only have 1,000 miles on it. (plus 500 miles from factory to dealer). Axles rusty already as well and so are the brakes- not impressed with that. We have an enclosed underbody so not much else to get to except on theoutsideedge of the frameand that is where I may consider some rocker type coating.
Slide out failures or issues mainly with the ones that have been reported here are with the schwintek in wall slides that operate from the sides of the slide out instead of the ones under the frame. If you have any problems you will find out how good your dealer is, but hopefully that won't happen.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
New Camper

Yes, mine are the schwintek. Keeping fingers crossed. I also noticed the drums are rusty, and they put on such shiny rims, with very thin ribs, so more of it shows... might put on some black epoxy paint on them.

Blue skies and level camping pads to all.
lpn9 is offline   Reply With Quote