Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Go figure, the last trip of the season, 3 1/2hrs away from home and doesn't the left rear wheel bearing seize up. Burnt up everything: tire, melted the centre cap of the rim, melted the dust cap to the spindle. Now i'm waiting to hear if they are going to replace the rest of them b/c our trailer was delivered to us less then 6 months ago from the factory. Plus i'm fighting with crossroads to deliver it back to me. I shouldn't have to drive 3 1/2hrs each way to pick up a brand new trailer less then 6 months old for a problem that should not have happened.

Am I crazy for thinking this?
2013 Dodge Ram Sport R/T 5.7 Hemi(Pics to follow)

https://i44.tinypic.com/mttqmh.jpg
thefabbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Wow, thats not good. Do you suppose there was not enough grease in the hub? I guess they will inspect the others for you. Maybe your dealer will step in and deliver it for you. With the new 12 point promise, I would hope they look after you. keep us informed.
On the bright side, it didnt happen at the beginning of the season.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabbros
Go figure, the last trip of the season, 3 1/2hrs away from home and doesn't the left rear wheel bearing seize up. Burnt up everything: tire, melted the centre cap of the rim, melted the dust cap to the spindle. Now i'm waiting to hear if they are going to replace the rest of them b/c our trailer was delivered to us less then 6 months ago from the factory. Plus i'm fighting with crossroads to deliver it back to me. I shouldn't have to drive 3 1/2hrs each way to pick up a brand new trailer less then 6 months old for a problem that should not have happened.

Am I crazy for thinking this?
Doesn't sound "crazy" to me, but with the way CR is doing things these days .......
Had pretty much the same prob, but caught mine before real damage was done, only had the rig for about six months too! CR helped out with the fix, new bearing and paid for re-packing all, potential fordisaster fer sure.
Travel Well / Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Chris I am sorry to hear of your problems. It seems daily the cheapening of Crossroads becomes apparent by the increasing number of quality issues and dealers lack of concern for owners on the forum and those are the ones we hear about. I guess the new "PROMISE" has not kicked in yet.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Hey 'thefabbros'..where did you get yours? I have a funny feeling mine never had the wheels off at the dealers before delivery ( there were no greasy fingerprints on tires or rims).Mine has about 7 hrs drive time from the dealer and on 1 trip. So far seems ok . i took the wheels off and had them balanced and turned the hubs and they seemed fine ...not to tight or too loose..will squirt some more grease in the spring anyways.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

The problem I found on my axles is the only grease port is in the inside of the spindle. Behind the inside bearing. Unless you fill the hub with grease the outside bearing doesn't get lubed. Then you have a a hub full of grease that warms up and goes out the back seal and on to the brakes. Most boat trailors where this is common practice have a triple lip seal. If we truly want to solve this problem we need to spend the money and adapt the system use on semis of a hub that holds oil and has a site guage so you see that it has adaquate lub.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

If you really want to solve this problem hand pack your bearings as soon as you get your camper home from the dealer. Lippert takes the bearings out of the box and I believe they are pregreased a little. As far as the grease fitting on the end of the axel they should take that off. I feel sorry for people who buy new and think things are all right. You do need a new axel and new bearings and the other bearings checked and greased.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Ijust read your last post again. Slowly this time. They do make a wet kit for axles but in my opinion I would rather have grease.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
Site Team

I agree with cwit on both of his posts. The wet kit is fine on a semi, but I wouldn't want it on my RV.
Those things get to where they can start slinging oil around as they age.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thanks for everyone's input. We bought it at a place called Layzee Acres in orillia ontario. They were great to deal with when we bought it and crossroads kind of came through. They paid 1/2 of my gas bill to go back and pick it up. was not to happy, but it's better then nothing. The place that fixed it also got the Ok from crossroads to repack the other 3 bearings, so i'm happy about that.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

I had also bought mine thru Layzee Acres , great in the buy process , but am still wondering if they actually pulled the brake drums off and manually greased the bearings like the salesman said they always do?for piece of mind , I guess i will have to do it myself as I am 5 hrs away from them . I have no CR dealer near me.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

harley, there is a dealer in St. Thomas about 1.5hr away from you. it's a town south of london. I needed to get some warranty work done and they were really good to deal with.