Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

This summer, during the last week of July, first week of August, we stayed at the Cape Hatteras N.C. KOA. We recommend this campground as as super place to go on vacation to. The campground is right on the Atlantic Oceanand is far enough south from the crowded areas as to make it enjoyable but still close enough for some sight seeing.

The campground is maybe 27 mi south ofKittyHawk. 2 or 3 mi n of the campground weparked and walked over to the beach and there was maybe 6 people in either direction as far as you could see.

Shopping is within a1/2 hour either direction with lots of restaurants, grocery stores, tourist traps, souvenir shops around, There is a free ferry rideto the south, at least one lighthouse to takea tour of and other sights to see and things to do.

The campground itself was immaculately clean. They cleaned the facilities every morning. There were3 or4 bathhouses spread around the campground. Eachfacility had individual showers, up to date restrooms and laundry facilities.

I can't speak more highly of our stay there and are going to start making it an annual trip. We had scouted the KOA outduring a prior vacation without the TT and made our reservations and showed up.

Dave

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

This is the 2nd year that we went to the KOA in Rodanthe (they call it the Cape Hatteras KOA). Once again we had a good time. The KOA there is a very family friendly place. Quiet time starts at 10 pm. One night we did have a new group of folks come in and they were upquite late making lots of noise, playing that bean bag gamewith its thunk thunk thunk right outside where wewere trying to call it a night, partying a bit to hearty. The KOA management must have said something asthere was not a peep the next night and then they left. It as nice that they (KOA management) really value quality of theirguests experience.

They have been adding concrete pads and access for folks with disabilities, whether temporary or permanent. They redid the access to the beach to make it friendly for folks that have difficulty doing stairs.

Overall I can't recommend them highly enough.

Right next door there is also another highly regarded campsite. I didn't catch the name but it would be easy to find.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Been there...loved it....last summer we stayed at The Refuge....was right near a beach house the SIL rented so we did'nt need the beach part. Another highly reccomended campground in the Outer Banks
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote