Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Russ and John, I have a question, if my lungs continue to improve, I need to go out and see my parents, Now in Montrose. The lovely Janet will continue to work, and fly out to join me and the pups. When I get to Durango, I am not too concerned about getting from there to Silverton, What bothers me the most is the Section coming into Ouray out of Ironton Park on 550. The other way which take a lot longer is is to go over to Cortez and 147 into Ridgeway. Is ther pros or cons either way, or am I missing another way.. I guess I could go over Monarch pass and down also, Thank You Frank

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:01 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Frank-

I'm assuming you're concerned about traveling in the winter...valid! Red mountain pass between Silverton and Ouray can be a crapshoot in the winter. I've read articles where Silverton has been cut off from the outside world for 3-4 days due to snowslides across 550. From personal experience, I've traveled from Breckenridge to Santa Fe in the winterthru Lake City, Creedeand South Fork on 149 which starts outsideGunnison. You could to the reverse. Well maintained road and really scenic in winter (summer too). For that matter, taking 145 from Cortez to Ridgwayis pretty also. Love to stop for just one beer in Rico. Just some thoughts about alternatives depending on the amount of time you have. Everything's weather dependent. For up to the minute infoon road conditions: 1-877-315-7623 and/or www.cotrip.org. Hope things work out well!

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:39 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Thinking of late spring, late summer, will have to under go a another several months of therapy Yet. But I have been snowed in in Silverton in May before. If I manage it I will bring the cruiser, and the concern is that is is next to 36 feet long, and with the truck I am closer to 47 feet long. The part that bothers me is those hair pin curve on 550 between Ouray and Ironton Park. Now if I was in my 20 to 50's it would not bother me as much. but that age group is no longer an option. I am trying to take a page out of your book and spend around 10 days to get there and than picking up Janet, than taking another 10 days to get back, and allowing Janet to fly back. so I might spend a month or so so out

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Is going further north and crossing on US 50 an option. I believe that Monarch Pass is a little less stressful than Red Mountain and 550. According to Streets and Strips, it may even be a few less miles.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

It is certainly an option, I used to take that way quite a bit, but since we move south I have gotten use to going to Albuquerque, and 550 up to Durango to Silverton, and than to home in Ouray. Mind you we have only done this with a car because of time factors before. Now that I am in the role of full time unemployed it might be nice to take my time, and pick up some sites we have ignore before. It is very temping to take 385 out of Texas and go to Brents Fort and than 50 over to Monarch pass. Tho all depends on the old lung situation.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:42 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Red Mountain pass wouldn't be my choice if it's snowy. We went to Durango on flag day, June 14 one year and it was icy on the summit of Red Mountain. To me, coming from Silverton the road up to the summit has the white line that all but disappears at times. Go to Cortez from Durango, take 145 thru Dolores, Rico, over Lizard Head pass etc and Dallas Divide into Ridgeway. It's about 25 miles from Ridgeway to Montrose. This route is farther than going over Red Mountain, but it's an easier pull. We went elk hunting near Rico for over 30 years and it's earier than Red Mountain.
Highway 50 from Pueblo is OK but it winds in the canyon for miles. Look at the road from Monte Vista that joins Hwy 50 east of Gunnison. We went over that in the winter a long time ago, but I think it's not that bad of road.
Hoping that your health keeps getting better so you can make this trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 03:45 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

That seems like a good alternative. Joyce and I have wanted to go see the Fort but haven't made it yet. 385 might be a good route for usto the Texas Rally? Edited by: coastn

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:20 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

It could be Russ I also can rent Janet to you for a fast trip

Old 01-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

We have camped in Ouray the past 3 summers. We came in from the north over Monarch. That is a long but easy pull as you now have a slow laneall the way. 550 is no place for a long rig. I always go to cortez. The monument near Ouray honoring three snow plow drivers who went over the edge says it all.