Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Glacier National Park

Planning our 2018 trip out west to Glacier. Looking for input and ideas from anyone who has been there. Plan to stay in Columbia Falls on the west side of park. Traveling from TN so this will be a 2000 mile trip each way. Glacier has been on my bucket list and I think I'm gonna get there. What can I expect as far as terrain in Montana? Steep mountains and grades? Must see places to see? Last year we went to Colorado and my truck and trailer pulled fine so I'm hoping for the same this year.
fam5mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:11 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

If you have the time go through South Dakota and spend a few days in The Black Hills. Mt. Rushmore is the tip of the iceberg. There is so much to see and do, people buy summer homes there. Then go by Devil's Tower and on to Badlands
N P. Then you can stop at Wall Drugs for some kitsch and spend a day at Custer Battlefield N M. Last year we went from there to Yellowstone and Grand Teton N P's (highly recommended but maybe too much to include with Glacier) but you would presumably continue NW to Glacier. I personally wouldn't rush The Black Hills and so would probably save it for another trip if I couldn't give it at least a week. The others (obviously not Yellowstone and Grand Teton) can be done a day or less each if you press it although that's not ideal. Bottom line I think is if you have two weeks, skip Black hills for another time and do the rest but if you are not rushed this could be an awesome 6 week trip.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Forgot to mention, roads are fine, mostly Interstate. I would avoid E. Yellowstone entrance with towable. Can't say about Glacier.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
New Camper

We were in Glacier in August and thought it was amazing. From home we went up to I-94 across North Dakota to Teddy Roosevelt N.P. then across Montana on highway 2 which takes you right to West Glacier. Stayed at Glacier campground about a mile from West Glacier. Lots to see around McDonald Lake and Apgar areas. Going to the sun road is a must see. Would recommend a Red Bus tour. From Glacier we went to Red Lodge, Montana to drive the Beartooth Pass, another amazing area. Then on to Devil's Tower in Wyoming and ended up in the Black Hills for a week with our kids. Always enjoy the Hills. Have a save trip.

Doug & Teresa
2010 Cruiser CTX 26 RK
2012 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
Doug T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

glacier

Went last fall. Stayed on east side, entered from Canada. Quite side of park.
Good restaurant, friendly staff. We enjoyed hiking and boat rides on lake.
blingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Re the roads, if you were fine in Colorado, you should be fine elsewhere from a grade/slope concern in the rest of the US. CO seems to be the benchmark. In fact, the stretch from Denver to Eisenhower Pass on 70 is one of the frequently used roads for tow comparisons.

Sounds like a long but very cool trip.

I don't know if I am going to get to Yellowstone or Glacier next year, but we are planning on SD for a long weekend to hit
BlackHills Forest
Badlands
Rushmore

All of which COULD BE on your way there or home.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

The 7th Ranch

If you are still planning your trip, look at the 7th Ranch RV Park. I have stayed there several time on my way to Montana. Nice people run the place, campsites are small but well kept. Call in advance to be sure to get a spot. They fill up all season. Right off I 90 very close to Little Big Horn.
7th Ranch RV Park | Montana | Home
Glen Carbon, IL
www.fickstravels.com
Dennisf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:03 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisf View Post
If you are still planning your trip, look at the 7th Ranch RV Park. I have staid there several time on my way to Montana. Nice people run the place, campsites are small but well kept. Call in advance to be sure to get a spot. They fill up all season. Right off I 90 very close to Little Big Horn.
7th Ranch RV Park | Montana | Home
I second 7th Ranch. It's a great place and about the only place. Also the only place that ever gave me a huckleberry ice cream sandwich at check in!
Old 06-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

We highly recommend the KOA. One of the Nicest campgrounds we’ve ever been.

Don’t miss taking a red bus tour. Books weeks in advance so plan ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote