Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Talking July Beach vacation US east coast. Looking for ideas

We were booked at Castaways in Ocean City MD for 10 days but after telling people we were going we started hearing little positive about the place. We decided to cancel and start from scratch. We heard it was very busy, very tight sites, no shade and noisy. At $125 a night I'm looking for more than its close to the beach.

We are looking for a family ( children under 10 ) friendly, high quality, full service campground close to sandy ocean beaches. My wife has given me the OK for a single 8-10hr travel day which puts us in reach of Maryland but not North Carolina.

I wanted the beach and ocean but I'll take a scenic lake with a nice beach as well.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Site Team

We stayed at Castaways and loved it. Private beach, nice pool, bus to Assateague beach and to Ocean city. A little tight, maybe, but a very nice campground. Even had bark park and bark beach. My 37' Cruiser fit, your ST should also.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Most any place out on the shore is not going to have shade.

Too bad you can't go to N.C. The Cape Hatteras KOA is a really nice place to stay at. We have gone there a couple times. The beaches are absolutely not crowded, even in August. Typically we had no one closer than 15 to 20 feet in any direction.

http://koa.com/campgrounds/cape-hatteras/

25 miles to the north is Kitty Hawk. Lots of restaurants, shops, etc. To the south is a ferry ride out to Ocracoke Island. The kids would love that. You can stand out at the front of the boat and view the ocean etc as you are going across.

There are wild horses to see (well they are a bit scruffy looking, but are wild and there).

There are lots of shops on Ocracoke to check out. Local artisans, etc.

There is a lighthouse to tour, beaches to shell at. Sometimes we were the only ones there, or maybe 4 or 5 other people.

File this away for future reference.

If you could get a day extra on both ends of the trip, this would be doable.

Don't laugh, even though we drag the trailer behind us, we have stayed at a hotel going and coming. There are lots of newer places that have rooms at very reasonable rates that after are hard day of driving are just easier to stay in than trying to find a campground and setup. A hot shower, some TV to entertain the kids, made the trips there very pleasant and a happy spouse.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Consider Rhode Island some of the best south facing beaches on the east coast.
A brand new rv park in Ashaway RI close to beaches. A KOA in nearby Mysti Ct.
Newport and historic Providence lots to do whatever you interests. Excellent Italian and seafood restaurants.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

C dad
I have been to Castaways three or four times, and thought it was a very good campground...I thought the sites were fine as far as size goes...All the facilities are clean...It has it's own sand beach, it's on the bay not the ocean, but just the same it's a very nice beach...In the news letter I got from them a week or so ago, they say they put in a activity pool, new this year...They also have their own bus that will take you to Ocean City, or you can go to the park & ride on Route 50 and take the public transportation into Ocean City...OC boardwalk has plenty of rides for your kids...

If you want cramped sites, cloudy pool, dirty facilities, go to Fronteer Town... IMHO...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

C dad
I would like to mention that in New Jersey on Route 9 around the Sea Isle City area there are several campgrounds that might interest you...I have stayed at two of them...Avalon Campground in Clermont N.J. Only stayed there for 3 days didn't get around the whole campground our site was near the pool I think P4...The other campground was Ocean View Resort Campground in Ocean View N.J...We stayed there in 2011, 2012, & 2013 and took our grandkids each time...We & the kids loved it...Very happy with this campground, too much stuff to write about, all I can say is visit their web site....www.ovresort.com...Close to all shore towns and boardwalks...

In God We Trust
Old 02-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

we stayed at Treasure Beach last year it was very nice. You will have to drive to the beach or ride a bike. lots of room and we got a water site. You are in Delaware at 147th street area. Nice place I would go back.

John and Julie
Dubois, PA
2015 Zinger ZT31SB- 2008 Toyota Tundra
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:10 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

John
I don't think that there are any campgrounds located right on the ocean in either New Jersey or Maryland...So if you want to swim in the ocean you will have to drive to get there...Not like some campgrounds in Myrtle Beach in South Carolina, which are located on the ocean...You can come out of your camper and walk to the ocean to swim...

In God We Trust
Old 02-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Guys thanks for the posts and suggestions.

1) I'm not sure if I was possibly listening to the wrong people about Castaways as I was expecting to hear the same thing on the forum. We wernt looking at Castaways for its access to its beaches just the proximity to the other beaches in the area.

2) I'd never thought about New England, having spent some years as a teen in Connecticut I only remember the water of the sound being cold in the summer. Perhaps I need to look at the area again as it is an easy drive from home.

3) My wife was agreed to reconsider going farther to NC and the Outer Banks if we stay in hotels each night of the drive, cutting our driving day shorter. I had no issue with this at all.

I don't mind driving the the beach from the campgrounds, I sort of expected to have to that.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

We spent the last 2 years at Holiday Trav-L-Park in VA Beach, both times in July. It is 5 minutes from the beach, they have a free bus and also a free parking lot at the beach. It is huge, hundreds of sites, we have had a great time at this campground. I would recommend checking it out.
DazedandConfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447
You may consider Connecticut or Maine, they are both truly beautiful. I did New England last year. Mystic, Newport, RI, Cape Cod, Boston, Salisbury, Hadley's Point near Acadia NP in Maine, then up into Jackman and the moose country. It was a wonderful trip and so much beauty to see there.

Whatever you decide, post here and you'll find someone who's been there done that and can give you some nice places to stay.

Travel well, travel safe,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #12
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazedandConfused View Post
We spent the last 2 years at Holiday Trav-L-Park in VA Beach, both times in July. It is 5 minutes from the beach, they have a free bus and also a free parking lot at the beach. It is huge, hundreds of sites, we have had a great time at this campground. I would recommend checking it out.
X2 on this campground... one of the best east coast destinations IMO.

Holiday Travel - Virginia Beach
mitrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Very good camp ground and good reviews
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

C Dad, Cherry Stone campground is just outside Md. eastern shore in virginia. Along the ocean. Boss been there several times and stated it was great for the kids. We are going down With other campers to try it out
wayne bair is offline   Reply With Quote