Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2015, 06:29 AM   #1
New Camper

New England States tour, 1st time

Hello everyone!!
Have been reading this forum for a while and now that the wife and I have a road trip planned, I figured I would post this to see what others had for opinions and options of things to do and places to stay. We are leaving Nova Scotia and heading to Connecticut. Spending about two weeks. This is our first big road trip with the trailer, 2015 ST28BH. We bought it last year at a year end clearance and only used it once. Wondering if anyone has any tips or hints about travelling down I-95 to CT. As well, ideas for campgrounds. So far our trip looks like this, Halifax to Moncton for a few days, then stopping somewhere in Maine after about 4-5 hours of driving and then staying at Hidden Acres in Connecticut. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a campground for a night in Maine about an hour past Bangor and if anyone has any reviews about Hidden Acres.

Any advice would be great as this is our first big trip with the trailer. I don't mind pulling that big trailer, just not great at backing it up yet, so we are hoping for pull through sites.

Thank you all and look forward to hearing from you!
caseybd916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:49 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We have not stayed at Hidden Acres. Looking at the park map it is primarily a seasonal camper park. It does not appear to have pull thru sites if that is a must you should call ahead. There is a KOA further south in Ct near the coast which would put you in an area with much to do in Rhode Island and CT.
There is also a state park in RI just over the CT border Burlingame State Park.
Others will comment on Maine. Enjoy your trip!
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:34 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Don't come yet!
We are encased in very thick ice, including about a 100" of snow. And we are expecting 2 more storms this week.

I know you mean later.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseybd916 View Post
Any advice would be great as this is our first big trip with the trailer. I don't mind pulling that big trailer, just not great at backing it up yet, so we are hoping for pull through sites.

Thank you all and look forward to hearing from you!
I can't speak to your trip but might be able to improve your backing skills. Take your TT to a large lot and practice backing using the lines of the parking spaces as your guide. Some find it easier to place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Doing this results in the back of the TT doing what your hand does. Rear of TT needs to go left move your hand to the left for example. Hand at the top of the wheel produces just the opposite. Practice makes perfect. Good luck.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

An hour outside of Bangor, should put you close to Acadia National Park. A little off the path, but a MUST SEE! other than that, you can stay on 95 south or use 295s to avoid some of the toll stops, then its back on 95 south into and thru NH. where you will get on 495. I dont take 495 all the way to the Mass pike I90. I get off on 290 go thru Worchester and then get on 290. cuts off the corner and saves some time. Once on I90 you will take 84 South exit 9 I belive into Connecticut. 84S passes right thru Old Sturbridge villiage RT.20 In Sturbridge Mass. another great place to camp and site see. from there you enter Connecticut on 84 south and head to your destination. Hope this helps, and Enjoy your trip.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I have travelled with a Motorhome pulling a bike trailer through parts of the Notheast. A few things to be watchful of. There are some low overpasses once you are off Interstate Roads, and the roads can be quite narrow.

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:37 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Sorry I can't answer your questions , but Welcome to the forum!...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote