Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
New Camper

Route planning help

Hoping for some help with the best way to plan our routes for traveling. I have seen a few sites but they appear to be all paid sites. Is there a website that doesn't require a fee to plan trips to know what roads are best to take when towing your TT? We travel a lot by car but never paid attention to bridges, gas stations etc for towing the TT. We have our first big trip from Dallas, TX area to Branson, MO.

I appreciate any help!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Sorry, don't know any "free" route planning, though there are free apps for rv park ratings. For planning, we us the Good Sam route planning. It allows you to place destinations in, offer routes, and lists rv parks along the way. Easy to modify and save changes so you can log in and resume where you left off. Will even calculate fuel usage according to your Vehicle and fuel prices. I think you have to have a Good Sam member, but I doubt the yearly fees are very high. I received a two year membership free when I bought my first trailer, and will renew when time comes.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Personally , i just drive...don't make much of a deal of it . Measure the height of your trailer, incl air conditioner, now and write it on a piece of paper and stick it on your dash for qiuck reference so when you approach a sign for a bridge ,etc that states the max height ,then you know right away if you can clear it.
Gas stations ...I will take a quick look to see if I can maneuver ...if not ,then the next one..
I usually never know where I will end up for the day. There is always an overflow of some sorts at campgrounds. I remember one camp that was full ,so they put me right next to the beach and brought a table to me ...was the best sunset at a site I ever had.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

Trucker Path app is free & maps truck routes with a whole list of places to add to the route, if trucks fit so will you.
As Harley said measure yourself & don't use any brochure measurement from your manufacturers.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

We use the Good Sam on the computer to plan our trip. I used to import the trip as a multi-stop trip into my GS GPS, but it always got quirky if I deviated. So now, with the trip built, and printed on paper, I enter each day's journey into the GPS. I like it because I can find POIs along the way, like rest stops. One thing I try to do is to look at each exit and entrance, using street view if need be, to determine if my exit/entrance will be on the right or left. I hate being in the wrong lane. I also use street view to view my final approach to my parking place/campsite/destination.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:18 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Trucker Path app is free & maps truck routes with a whole list of places to add to the route, if trucks fit so will you.
As Harley said measure yourself & don't use any brochure measurement from your manufacturers.
I second Trucker Path for gas stations, also. It's been a huge headache-saver for me, just starting out with all this. It lists all rest stops and trucker-accessible gas stations, etc., as well as near-real-time statuses of if it's open/closed, and the amount of parking available. It shows them in a map view, so you can turn on satellite and zoom in just to confirm what the access looks like.

I've been sticking to interstates so far, so I haven't had to worry too much about overhead clearances yet. Though I have measured the rig from the AC down, just in case.
lp722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:22 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

we start with good sam too --> http://trips.goodsamclub.com/

then google, tripadvisor, CampgroundGallery.com

for high level planning...
then just put my destination in the Garmin 760 LMT gps and let it do it's thing...

Only one time has it got me into a tight situation and that was because I didn't listen to it and turned right off the interstate instead of left and immediately had to make a u turn since I was going into an army bases entrance