Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We are looking into the possibilty of a seasonal site next year. We live in the suburbs of Chicago, so we are looking for something within about a 3 hour drive. We really enjoy water activities, so a lake would be great. Any suggetions would be much appreciated.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4

2008 ZT25RK Zinger

https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...C01146-1-1.jpg
ffBillyNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

You are welcome to do what ever you wish, but I definitely suggest staying at the campgrounds you end up considering several times before making your decision. We have stayed at the campground our season lease is at for three years before committing to a season lease. We knew exactly what to expect from the owners, the other season lease campers and the park as well.

No doubt there are several potential parks in northern Illinois, northern Indiana, southern Wisconsin and southwest Michigan. I believe that Decatur, Mi is about 3 hours from downtown Chicago and they have several highly rated camp grounds in trailer life. Sunnybrook RV park in South Haven, Mi is not on a lake, but is a condo park with an incredible pool and you are close to Lake Michigan with easy public access and marinas. This is an new condo park in I believe 2008.

Be certain you like the management, the facilities and the other campers before you commit to a season lease or to a condo site.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:39 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Only been RVing for a year and have been out a numbr of times. The KOA in Lena is very nice. Probably about three hours from Chicago. No lake, and really not near any water, other than the mighty Mississippi near by. But, day trips to Galena and New Glarus, WI make the location pretty nice. Close to good hiking, biking shopping (in Galena) and a couple of state parks.The KOA is welldesigned with families in mind. Heated pool, jumping pad,mini golf and other activites.

Another place to check out is the town of Somonauk, IL. Have only been through there and not stayed. The town has a small lake and from what I hear a nice seasonal community. Maybe someone else on here can give us both more info on this town.

Dave

010 Zinger 32QB
Road King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the Tips.How aboutWaffle Farm CG in Coldwater, MI? Anyone ever been there?

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4

2008 ZT25RK Zinger

Old 07-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I stayed there last year. We had our annual family camping reunion there. Seems to me the sites were large and grassy but we did not have sites on the water. Good interior dirt roads. Did not use the facillities so can't comment on those. The infrastructure (water/electric) is old and needs serious attention.

The management appears to be stable but I believe the ownership has been the same for 30+ years.

They normally have openings so call ahead for reservations and check them out to see it that's the kind of park you're looking for.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 07-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffBillyNy

We are looking into the possibilty of a seasonal site next year. We live in the suburbs of Chicago, so we are looking for something within about a 3 hour drive. We really enjoy water activities, so a lake would be great. Any suggetions would be much appreciated.

I would stay away from Pearl Lake. Just got back from there and won't ever go back. You can check out my review at rvparkreviews. com

In a few weeks we'll be heading to Silver Springs in Rio Wi. just north of Madison, I have heard positive reviews and looking forward to actually staying there. Will let you know my thoughts.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

We lived in Marengo for about 8 months at Lehamans and it was nice. They have a lake but no pool. I agree that you should spend a bit of time at each to see if they meet your needs.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:58 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

We are in the same boat you are. We upgraded to a travel trailer from a pop up just to have this option.My "must have" is access to a lake and possibly a dock slip for a fishing boat and/or jet ski. We found the campgrounds in the Milton area of WI(Lake Koshonong) Blackhawk or lakeland campgrounds seem nice and look at Crystal Lake in WI, Crystal Lake RV Resort is nice. Those area's are nice. We used to have a cottage on Lake WI right next to Crystal Lakeand it was 3hrs from the Aurora area. We are in the process of camping at these different spots to figure out what we want. The thing I am most worried about is how well the campsites drain after a rain. I have heard horror stories of seasonal campsites that people thought were going to be nice and they ended up in a swamp after a rain. But like I said we are in the same boat as you, looking for a place to park. Let me know what you find also.

2001 Chevy Suburban

Two Kids

One Wife

One Dog
jimmbo407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:06 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

We had a seasonal in north central MN for 16 years. Boy did we get tired of it! Went through 2 owners. First one was always pretty sour then he sold it. New owner poured money into the place and got in over his head and became worse than the first owner. Between all the new rules and regulations the new fees that kept popping up and the cliques we finally had enough. I would strongly suggest staying for a few weeks before committing to a seasonal contract. I don't think we'll do it again. It got pretty boring being in the same place all the time. Might as well stay home where there's lots more to do. JMHO

Old 08-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Please don't take this wrong......but we bought the Cruiser because of the wheels. Had we wanted to go to the same place every summer/weekend/vacation we'd buy a cottage (without the wheels . I don't mind pulling, this could change, but till I see most or all of this country, I'll keep the wheels a-turning. We are currently adding to our list, we like our traditions, we've been going to the same place Labor Day and are looking for a Memo Day destination (Pearl Lake last May--not making our list). We do Durham NCin Easter (Daughter, Grandson) and again in Summer with a side trip(s), this year it was the Outterbanks. We do a separate Summertrip, sometimes just to camp, found a good one this year, Hidden Valley, Milton Wisc. Last Year we did Mackinac City MI. Thanksgiving my SIL's driveway in Penn. Love my Cruiser...................and the way she moves.

But to each his own----perhaps if I had young children.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

HMM If I remeber right you were there for your birthday last year and had several too many Adult beverages?// Are we invited this year Tom

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all of the advice. We are just trying to get some other opions on the whole seasonal thing. My wife is expecting our first child this winter, so I think it would be much easier with young childeren to set up the camper once a year. On the other hand we have only been camping for a few years and still have a lot of places we would like to see. Oh well, looks like we have a lot more thinking to do.

Last weekend we tried out Waffle Farms in Coldwater, MI. Nice campground. The best part was it sits on a chain of 7 lakes(the thing we are looking for). The sesonals are allowed to put a boat dock in the water for their boat, put up a deck and a shed. The only thing we didn't really like was how crowded it was. We will probably try it again next month and hopefully talk to some more of the seasonal campers.

Any more thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4

2008 ZT25RK Zinger

Old 08-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn
HMM If I remeber right you were there for your birthday last year and had several too many Adult beverages?// Are we invited this year Tom

Yeah................so...................

It takes a conciderable amount of limes.......... and Tankeray to set up my trailer

Will be at Baraboo Hills again for Labor Day, it's near Wisc Dells, come on over, I'll share some limes.............................and whatever else you need!
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
Old 08-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

2010 was the first year we had done a season lease and surprisingly, we both loved it. Have to admit I used to think like Tom...those wheels are meant for traveling. Just sent in a check for our 2011 renewal deposit at Duke Creek in Cedar Springs, MI.

Not on the water like many want, or think they want. But our site overlooks the woods (we have a rear window living room) and we have little to no chance that it will be developed. Campground is very kid friendly with a playground that rivals many well equipped city parks. Activities galore that are kid friendly. Our grandkids love coming up to see us and we're only 30 minutes from home. Excellent drainage and outstanding campground management/ownership.
Best of all, if we choose we can hook up any time and hit the open road.

Now I have to admit that we visited this campground several times over a three year time period before putting down our hard earned money. To say we made the decision carefully is an understatement. That it has exceeded all our expectations is a pleasant surprise.

We all have different needs and expectations. Hope you find the experience you are looking for.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 08-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
Site Team

I have to agree with Al on many of the things he stated.
We also had a seasonal back in the 70s. We were there for 3 or 4 years. Then it came time time to move on and do something different again. It was nice tho. Run up there after work on Friday night, throw the boat in the water and go fishing. It was on the Chippewa Flowage and I was hooked on muskeys!!!!
Lets face it---- it cost money to hook up that RV and hit the road. I think for a young family, maybe a seasonal might be a wonderful thing while the kids are growing up.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #16
Seasonal Camper

That's why I mentioned the young children thing, if you could find a CG where there are others your kid's age..............although I still enjoy taking my "kids" along even though they are in their 30's!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

ClassicHammond, you’re correct, campers do have wheels on them. But for what I pay to store the thing in Chicagoland I could pay a bit more have it on a seasonal site and still go places and use it when ever we want. It really is each family’s situation. Plus if I find a place with a dock I can leave my boat there too. And if I want a change in venue I can pick up and leave and find another spot. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

Idid the lake cottage thing, between the taxes, lawn maintanance, phone and cable companies hiking the rates and local governments using code enforcement to subsidize there taxes. Plus the fact that I spent every moment up there fixing, painting, or doing some sort of maintance. It just got too much.

Like the guy that started this thread, I too hope to finda nice seasonal campground, however I hope to still go to destinations also.

We shall see.

2001 Chevy Suburban

Two Kids

One Wife

One Dog
Old 08-29-2010, 11:06 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Waffle farms looks like a really nice campground. We always keep going to WI and forget about that side of the big lake lol.

2001 Chevy Suburban

Two Kids

One Wife

One Dog
Old 12-16-2010, 02:24 AM   #19
New Camper

Like a lot of those who posted here, we also usually go to the same places every year. This year, me and the buddies are going to try something a bit different. We are going to go on some vacant land for sale instead of the usual camp grounds and public grounds. This is a trip planned for next month, we are going to see how this goes soon enough. LOL!

parklandgroupohio is offline   Reply With Quote