Old 01-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Southern IL to Moore Haven, Florida

Changed my campground, found one with a golf course.

Spending the night at Valdosta Saturday and Sunday, then going into Florida Monday morning.

So I've checked mapquest, Yahoo, and Google for trip directions.

Mapquest wants me to take I 75 to the florida turnpike, then get on 27 around Orlando. Then 27 almost all the way to Moore Haven. Internet research tells me highway 27 is junk, so I'm discounting that route.

Google says I 75 to Florida turnpike, then get on us 441 and then 78. Looks like some 2 lane in there. Plus $20 in tolls.

Yahoo takes me on I 75 all the way to Ft. Myers, then just exit and get on hwy 80 and go right to the campsite, pretty much all 4 lane. Only problem is it's around 30 miles further and goes by more city areas.

Anybody take these routes and have recommendations?
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Rt 27 is a good road, 4-6 lanes. You do have traffic lights along the way. Enjoy the orange groves along the way. If you decide on 27 I like to exit I75 at RT 44, exit 329, to avoid the turnpike. Take 44 to 27.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
Rt 27 is a good road, 4-6 lanes. You do have traffic lights along the way. Enjoy the orange groves along the way. If you decide on 27 I like to exit I75 at RT 44, exit 329, to avoid the turnpike. Take 44 to 27.
Thanks, that's amazing. I did a quick google search and read about narrow lanes, crumbling pavement, soft shoulders and deep dropoffs along the shoulders.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Rt 44 to 27 is also 4 lane.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:34 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

This is turning into a disaster. Ice from 45 miles south of me all the way to Nashville. Thought of taking the Memphis route but Memphis has ice also.

Was going to leave in the morning but looks like I'll put it off until Sunday and maybe the roads will be cleared by then.

Wish I'd have left a week ago.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Went out and swept the snow off the roof of the st250rb a little bit ago and cranked up the heat a little more.
I'm really impressed with the insulation in the roof of this unit, it has to be insulated well to hold the snow like it has.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:22 AM   #7
Site Team

Just be careful if your rig sits there like that for any amount of time and you get a lot of snow.
It could start melting it down and eventually end up as a layer of ice up there. It could start to back up and run inside, plus, if there is a layer of ice buildup it could slide off when you hit the road south. Ending up on somebody's hood or windshield.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

No snow in the forecast, and that's the reason I cleaned off the roof. I didn't want to be a snow comet. Also didn't want an ice block to rip something off my roof.

After we load for a while I'll put the slide back in for the night.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:39 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Well I got here Monday around 3:30 pm.

Got to Lake Park GA around 11:30 pm Sunday night. The Camping World campground wasn't really anything to brag on. The pedestal, water, and sewer were all in the wrong places. I didn't need the sewer but I did need the water and power. Since it was 30 degrees I just filled my tank up 3/4 full so we could have water. I pressurized the system through the city connection first so I could check for a water heater leak at the plug I had taken out when I blew the water out of the rig earlier in the winter with my air compressor, and also to fill the water heater.

With all my meticulous trip planning I didn't think of the fact that I would lose an hour because of driving into eastern time. I felt pretty silly about that when I saw my truck radio screen jump an hour ahead as I was barreling down the interstate.

Nashville was absolutely terrible, I'm real glad we waited until Sunday to leave. I can only imagine how bad it as Saturday. After Chattanooga all ice was gone and things were ok.

Went I75 all the way to Ft Myers and then across on 80.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Campground is nice. I had to go back to Ft. Myers to get another sewer hose though, since I'm on a new site and the pedestal is a mile away. Stopped to wash my truck since it was covered in road salt. Used a "touchless automatic" and followed the directions to a T, and the arm came down on my hood denting it and scratching it. Probably $400 in damage. Truck has 2000 miles on it.

Went to camping world and walmart. Decided I didn't like Ft Myers traffic, worse than St. Louis at rush hour. Thought I had everything I needed and went back to campsite.
It started raining, it rained for 2 solid days and it rained hard.

Went to set up outside tv, I tested it in the house before we left but it was too cold to try the mount out on the trailer. Put tv on trailer and realized I had no room behind it for the power cord or the coax. Searched all over the internet, found nothing but mounts. Called campng world at ft myers, put on hold 4 times. Called North Trail RV in Ft. Myers, put on hold and cut off 3 times. Called a few tv shops and ace hardware.

Went ahead and drove back to North Trail rv, they try to sell me a complete mount and don't understand why I don't want to pull the mounting bracket off the outside of my new trailer and screw theirs into the side. Went to Camping World, talked to parts guy. All I need are some longer screws and spacers, this isn't rocket science. He tells me "well these mounts are brand specific so you should talk to your dealer."

Went to best buy, they tried to sell me a huge mount for $100.

I hate Ft Myers, I hate Camping world, and I hate North Trail RV. I may have to use the camping world campground at lake park on my way home, but it's going to be my life's goal to not spend any money at either place (besides that one campground since it's handy for my stopover) in the rest of my lifetime.

Loaded up tv, took it to ace hardware 12 miles up the road, bought screws and spacers and washers and mounted tv.