Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2016, 04:45 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Trip Report-Outer Banks, NC

Just completed our first major trip with the TT to the Outer Banks, NC. We have done several smaller trips, but this one was a little over 2,900 miles round trip. Here are the details....

Wisconsin to Kill Devil Hills, NC:
- A little over 1,400 miles
- Two day travel time with 2 fuel stops each day
- Overnighted in KOA (Huntington/Ashland, KY)
- Rained almost entire trip out
- Encountered two major traffic jams in the mountains (Accidents)
- Spent four days at OBX Campground in Kill Devil Hills. Very nice place to stay!

Kill Devil Hills, NC back to Wisconsin:
- A little over 1,500 miles (tried a short cut...it wasn't)
- Two day travel time with 3 fuel stops (head wind killed my MPG's)
- Overnighted in same spot
- Encountered rain and more traffic jams

Pro's:
- TT traveled great when road conditions permitted it. I had quite a few times when the truck and trailer bounced up and down harshly due to bumps, pot holes or severe dips!

- Truck was a real workhorse this trip. Towing aside, spent a full day on the beach in the 4x4 section of the beach. Even had a couple of horses come down off the dunes to check it out!

- Other than the smoke detector falling off a couple of times, no TT issues.

Con's:
- Needed to allow more time!! a couple more days would have been nice for layovers. Instead, I drove around 12-14 hours each day.

- Not everyone in this world is honest and has good intentions. At the KOA layover, we were warned about a particular seasonal camper who spent his nights going through property which was not his. I caught him about 3am, trying to open my hatches and truck up.

Overall, awesome trip. My confidence in the TT went way up and we are going to plan additional trips. The Outer Banks turned out to be better than expected. There are a couple of other campgrounds on the banks, but after seeing them, I would only recommend OBX.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Frosty42, glad to hear your trip went great and your trailer held up well. I have the same trailer and am almost done with my first long trip. We have gone about 4,000 miles so far. Only problems have been the electric fireplace won't steadily push heat (possible thermostat issue), several places of peeling venner on cabinet trim, and a broken island door hinge. Other than that, great time in several national parks and historical towns in Utah, Kansas, S. Dakota and Wyoming. Unfortunately we looked at a fifth wheel at a dealer next to one of our campsites, and are thinking about one for the additional room.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Happy to hear it all went well. We are about to depart for our first long trip, 1900 mile (1 Way) trip from Tulsa, OK to Spokane, WA. I had debated trying to do 600 miles a day, but have settled on 475. I only got 4 days to get there. Our return trip will be much less demanding. Sounds like you all had a great time.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:30 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

We are preparing for our trip to the Outer Banks later this week. Never been there before but looking forward to it. Thanks for the write up. I'll do the same when I get back.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:38 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Frosty42, Glad to here that the trip went well and all of your equipment worked flawlessly, that sure makes the trip a lot more enjoyable.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:16 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I go to the OBX in the fall and spring each year. But I only have a 7 hour drive. Spend two weeks when there. Several nice campgrounds south in Rodanthe. Camp Hatteras, KOA, and Ocean Waves. All three are beach front. I'd had to give the guy a pistol whipping if I found him getting into my stuff. Glad you made the trip. Thanks for sharing.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone!

I never made it south of Kill Devil Hills so future trips are in the works so that we have more time to explore. I will have to check out the other campgrounds mentioned. Some other notable experiences:

- Traffic was touch & go. Several times during the day we encountered very heavy traffic, however, the backups were short lived. Streets and parking lots were never intended for big trucks!

- Coming in from the north on 158 was not bad at all. Good roads and many places to stop along the way. I thought about going out from the south when we left, but it would have added another two hours to our drive.

- My next trip will require a larger cooler for shopping at the local seafood markets. Extremely cheap and very high quality.

- Highly recommend stops at Barefoot Bernies and Hi-Cotton BBQ. Both establishments offered some of the best service I have ever received and the food was exceptional.

- The lighthouse in Corolla is a must stop. Easy access and if your up to it, $10 to climb to the top and check out the views.