Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2019, 07:31 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Yellowstone area

Heading to Yellowstone second week of June. Looking for what to see, what to do in Cody, Jackson, Casper, Rock Springs and or Cheyenne. Heading to Black Hills for third week. Campground suggestions would be helpful too. Coming from Manitoba Canada
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:36 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Yellowstone area

I recommend camping in West Yellowstone. Nice little town with all you need for basecamp. Grocery, gas, and laundromats, and couple restaurants. There is a touristy strip area if that’s your thing too. We were there in July and never felt crowded.

We drove from Ohio and shot up into Montana and came in from the north so can’t recommend directions.

We stayed at the KOA. Bit pricey for what you get but it’s Yellowstone.

We definitely enjoyed Mt Rushmore and Devils tower. Both just to say we’d been there. Again we did KOAs the whole trip for convenience and they were ok. Devils tower KOA literally is overlooked by the tower.

Another thing

We were surprised by how much we enjoyed the Badlands. Truly unique area. I get strange looks when I tell people I enjoyed the Badlands as much as Yellowstone. Been there twice.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Yellowstone area

We’re making our way into Billings along i94 from Fargo, ND and heading down to the east gate. Cody would be our first stop in the area. Never been to Yellowstone and it’s been 15 years since our last trip to the BH’s. KOA’s are fine with us as I do have their APP on my phone.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 660catman View Post
We’re making our way into Billings along i94 from Fargo, ND and heading down to the east gate. Cody would be our first stop in the area. Never been to Yellowstone and it’s been 15 years since our last trip to the BH’s. KOA’s are fine with us as I do have their APP on my phone.

X2

What I liked about KOA is once you get to so many points (stays) you can change or even cancel the day of checkin without any penalties

Old 05-19-2019, 09:09 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
I recommend camping in West Yellowstone. Nice little town with all you need for basecamp. Grocery, gas, and laundromats, and couple restaurants. There is a touristy strip area if that’s your thing too. We were there in July and never felt crowded.

I agree with Mark on the above.

Personal opinion, but I don't agree with him on the Badlands. For me, after seeing it once, that was more then enough. I would much rather go to Glacier NP again, and again. I really like Glacier.

There is a big museum in Cody, I think it's a touristy town. You will be close enough so that will make Jackson Hole a must stop.
Been a few years since we have been out there, so I have forgotten a lot of stuff. All of which isn't pertinent anyway as nothing stays the same over the years.

Main thing is to allow enough time to see what you want, and be able to enjoy it.
Have fun
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I agree with Mark on the above.

Personal opinion, but I don't agree with him on the Badlands. For me, after seeing it once, that was more then enough. I would much rather go to Glacier NP again, and again. I really like Glacier.

There is a big museum in Cody, I think it's a touristy town. You will be close enough so that will make Jackson Hole a must stop.
Been a few years since we have been out there, so I have forgotten a lot of stuff. All of which isn't pertinent anyway as nothing stays the same over the years.

Main thing is to allow enough time to see what you want, and be able to enjoy it.
Have fun

Glacier is my no 1 place actually. I didn’t recommend since the route didn’t look like it goes that far north. But yes. Glacier. Nothing else like it.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

If you are planning to use the east gate this summer coming in from Cody I would check ahead for sure. My understanding is you will be stopped all summer at Fishing Bridge and have a significant delay. You can come up the Chief Joeseph Highway out of Cody to the Beartooth Highway and then come in the Northeast gate. Its a bit longer but a beautiful drive. I had heard last year that Fishing Bridge was not going to allow any traffic but the current info indicates they will allow one way traffic with delays. You can check status here. https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm
Tom Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Hey guys thanks for all the info. Hopefully no issues as we are just winging it as to where and how long we will stay in one spot.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:38 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

In Cody, I highly recommend The Cody Firearms Museum. Even if you are not into firearms there is so much to see there, it is incredible. Plan on spending a whole day there. Also the rodeo in Cody is great to see in the evening.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:43 AM   #10
New Camper

Wind Cave National Park

My family really liked Wind Cave National Park southeast of Custer, SD. It had some really interesting rock formations down in the cave. I will go back again the next time we are out there. We stayed in Custer State Park and drove the Needle Highway with the rock formations that were awesome along with the pine trees everywhere.

We also drove down to the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs and my son thought that the dig area was awesome along with the size of the bones. He was eight at the time.

There is also Jewel Cave west of Custer; however, we did not make it there last time but plan to go there when we go back in a few years.

2004 Ford F-250 6.0L Diesel
HoosierDadIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

We did that trip a few years ago, and it was fantastic! As others have said, the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody was great. It not only has a HUGE firearms museum, with guns dating back hundreds of years, and famous firearms, but it has I think three other wings, such as one dedicated to Buffalo Bill of course. My wife and I are not museum people per se, but we thoroughly enjoyed this. We spent a couple hours in the Buffalo Bill wing, and even more in the firearm wing. We extended our stay by a day in Cody so we could return to the museum the second day as we did not finish going through it on the first day.

Our ticket was a two day ticket, I guess for that very reason.

I was glad someone recommended the Badlands to us, because we were not going to stop. You can drive through with an RV, and it has large enough pull outs for you to stop and take pictures. I think it was a 45 minute drive through the park for us.

The KOA near Mt Rushmore is very large, and has lots of amenities. It was a great place to stay. It has lots for kids also, but the kids stuff is in one place so they are contained there more or less. Nice little fishing pond, horse back riding, atv rental, restaurant, ice cream, coffee shop, hotel...did I say it was BIG?

You’ll have a great time I’m sure.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for more info !!
Old 06-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #13
Gone Traveling

Visiting Yellowstone in June becomes a great fantasy for travellers. Better of luck. Hopefully, you will enjoy a lot there.
Remedios_Sharrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

We should be in Cody by Tuesday. If we could ever believe the weather reports it looks to be decent when we’re there.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Trip going good. Should be in Cody after lunch today.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:42 AM   #16
Site Team

Enjoy your trip. It's a beautiful area.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Safe travels and stay dry!

Old 06-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #18
Seasonal Camper

That’s beautiful country from Billings down to Cody. At the Absaroka campground for a couple of nights
Old 06-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

Took in the Cody Night Rodeo last night. Fun to see.
IMG_2133.jpg
IMG_2154.jpg
Old 06-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #20
Seasonal Camper

Toured Cody yesterday and took in the Buffalo Bill Museum. Quite the display of firearms. Not too busy around town but campgrounds are pretty full already. Off to Yellowstone for the next few days.