Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Alaska Trip

After discussing it with a number of people and getting info online, we have finally decided to take our current trailer to Alaska next year instead of buying a truck camper.

So my questions to you fine folks are:

- Are there areas/roads to avoid while towing our 34' fifth wheel? I know the Dempster Highway is one of them, but are there others?

- Our planning will involve making a list of the places we want to visit, and then connecting the dots to make a trip plan.

Thanks.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

hey Lone, just got back from a 7 week trip there with a TC. Best thing for getting a spot when the campground is full. alaskan highway from Destruction bay to the alsaks/yukon border had to be the worst...20 kph (12mph)...lots of potholes to get around but you have to take that route. top of the world is gravel , but smooth. Dempster was all in all not to bad...did 100 kmph (60 mph) sometimes.
Always some construction , but doable ....there are coin op car washes in some areas.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I am currently reading a book written by a lady who traveled that area in 2003 with her husband in a Class C. I was very apprehensive when hubby wanted to buy a truck camper for the trip. To spend 6 - 8 weeks in that small a space was not sitting well with me. I love our trailer and would feel much more comfortable in it.

As long as the roads are passable with our trailer, then I feel we can do it. We are not against slowing down where necessary. As retired folks, we have time on our side.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote