Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
Site Team

Anybody that enjoys total solitude and a huge, huge, area, should make this NP a must see on there list. It's a long way down there-----the full length of that big state of Texas, but it was worth every mile to the wife and I. We spent about 10 days at Chisos Basin CG.(not sure if I spelled that right)

Edited by: Old Farmer
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Lloyd, we have been thinking about a 8 to 10 day trip to BBNP in the Spring of 2010. I may be bugging you for more information at some point.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Site Team

Keith:
When we stayed there we had a Lance over the cab camper.
I don't know if we would be able to get up in to the Chisos Basin campground now or not.
It's the best one in the Park in our opinion.
If we could, the spots there that are big enough to be able to get into are not very many.
Probably would have to go to Rio Grande CG.
We unloaded the camper, and toured the WHOLE park. Lots of hikes to take also. It was great.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Old 07-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
New Camper

We are planning a trip to Big Bend NP in late February-early March of 2009. We love to hike. Question - where you there in that timeframe? Was the weather condusive to good camping and hiking? Could you float the Rio Grande in that season?

We are pulling a 31' Cruiser 5th wheel - looking at Big Bend Motor INN RV park - anyone know anything about that park? Thanks for your help.
jsewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsewan
We are planning a trip to Big Bend NP in late February-early March of 2009. We love to hike. Question - where you there in that timeframe? Was the weather condusive to good camping and hiking? Could you float the Rio Grande in that season?

We are pulling a 31' Cruiser 5th wheel - looking at Big Bend Motor INN RV park - anyone know anything about that park? Thanks for your help.
I hope you mean Feb.---Mar. 2010.
We were in BBNP late Nov. The weather was real nice. Warm days, cool nights. Couple nights was down in the low 30s. Lots of hiking there. As far as floating the Rio Grande, I don't know if it's allowed, and it's not something I would do. If I was to float a river I would find a different one then the Rio.I don't know anything about the RV park you named. We stayed right in the park. There is one in the park for the bigger rigs I believe it's called Rio Grande village.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:23 AM   #6
Site Team

JSEWAN:
I just came across this site. Thought you might be interested.
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/07/floating-through-life-rio-grande-and-big-bend-national-park

Old 07-27-2009, 02:22 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

We have been to BBNP probably 6 times, mostly spring and fall with Thanksgiving being a good time to visit. Either time may have occasional cold fronts, but they have slightly less impact in the fall due to warm ground temps. In the spring there can be some nice displays of flowers as well. Chison Basin is limited to trailers under about 24 ft. as I recall, the hairpin turns and narrow road are very problematic for any towing rig. Rio Grande Village has plenty of nice sites, there are a small number of full hookup sites but they are just on a paved parking area, there is also an overflow camping area that is used mostly duing the peak Spring Break time.

Rafting would be best in late spring and best done with a paid guide. Most of the guides have runs upstream from the NP due to easier river access and shorter trips. Runs thru any of the three parks canyons are much more impressive but are generally multi-day trips even for a single canyon.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

The answer on Big Bend Motel in the town of Study Butte is YES. If you have a rig longer than 28 feet, don't take it into the park. There is also a new RV park in Lajitas, about 18 miles east of Study Butte. Its a nicer park but much farther from the main BBNP gate. There is also PJ's in Terlingua across from the ghost town. Its a 15 site, sandy park near the Chili fest grounds. Full hookups, but not much else and it is often full Jan, Feb, Mar. Get into Big Bend State Park too if you have time. And stock up with supplies and groceries on your way thru Alpine -- nothing but convenience stores in and near the park and its a 90 mile drive back to Alpine. If the water is high enuf when you are there, a float trip (guided) down the Rio Grande is well worth the price.