Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Castaways RV Resort Ocean City Review

AMAZING!!

Do I need to put anything else? :-)

I ended up not finding what we were looking for in Cape May NJ so I decided to cannon ball it overnight to the ferry from Niagara Falls. Everyone was asleep by 11:30 and I set in for a nice drive. The roads were clear and superduty pulled us along though the night. Getting only 12.6 mpg the tiny fuel tank started to bug me so I think a titan is in my future. The dark sky turned to dark blue around 4:20am and before I knew it we were heading into Philly with less than 50 miles of diesel left. We found a Wawa with diesel on the fuelly app with just 21 miles to go. We pulled into Cape May with time to spare before our 10am loading time.

The ferry was just as I remembered, the kids loved it, clear blue skys warm temps and lots of dolphins in the water.

The traffic when we arrived in Delaware was horrible it took us nearly 2 hours to go just 5 miles before I escaped the roads and headed the long way down to Ocean City.

We pulled into Castaways just after 4pm and were warmly greeted by the staff. The wife and kids headed off to the pool and my neighbour helped me back the trailer in and get it setup.

I'd heard as much good as I had bad about Castaways but our week was spectacular. The park is nearly perfect for us, we were only a 2 minute walk from the camp store and the pools 1 more to the beach. The kids enjoyed the splash pad and pool, not so much the beach. Everyone was super friendly during my morning and night time walks I met lots of people from all over the east coast. The park was very clean and well kept, the wifi strong and overall it was quiet. We spent much of our week at Assateague Island State park, 5 out of 6 days were spent relaxing and playing in the surf. The state park was only $12 a day and a short 10 minute drive from Castaways. We had our daily encounters with the wild ponies at the park, they sniffed our cooler and moved on. The beach was very clean perfect for young kids at low tide. The showers were warm and had decent pressure so there was no reason not to wash up before heading out at the end of the day. The cafe had great ice cream our 3pm daily treat just $11 for our family of 5.

The drive home was a 5am departure, we checked with the office and they had no problem with us leaving early as long as we were quiet. We had enough room to hook up the night before so it only took me 20 minutes to dump and pull the stabilizers. A few stops along the way and a 70mph average had us home in 11 hours.

We were thrilled with Castaways and have already got two weeks for 2016 on deposit. Thanks to everyone who suggested we give it a try last fall when I originally started looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0253.jpg (240.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0250.jpg (192.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0240.jpg (256.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0310.jpg (108.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0097.jpg (153.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

One more post for a few more pictures.

Our last stop before we headed west on the 90.

Gavin in my race car sand castle. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0325.jpg (208.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0190.jpg (330.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-20-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
Site Team

Sounds like you had a great time. We also stayed at Castaways and enjoyed it. Cost is a little high but it is the closest campground to Ocean City.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:27 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Sounds like a great trip. We might have to try it out sometime. So is castaways on the beach but you went to assateague instead or is castaways not on the beach?

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:48 PM   #5
Site Team

Castaway beach is on the bay behind assateague island, assateague island is on the ocean. The bay is warmer compared to the ocean. NIce dog park and dog beach also.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:55 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Ok thanks mark

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:55 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Mark
I hate to tell you but the dog park was sacrificed for the new splash water park and new sites, they build this past winter...I think they have changed their park map if you would like to see the how it has changed...

Aileen
Mark was correct when he said Castaways private beach is located on the bay...If you want to bath in the ocean Castaways has a bus that will bring you in to Ocean City (free) or you could use the "Park-N-Ride" located on Route 50...Rosie and I have stayed at Castaways many times...In fact we will be there in September for OC Sun Fest...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

The dog park is now just a short pen about the size of a basket ball court but they still have their own beach.

We didn't use the Castaways beach much because it was quite crowded and my oldest boy ( nearly 3) was pinched by a crab. Getting him back in the water their was not going to happen.

The bus is a great option as it takes you right to the entrance of the beach, we didn't use it as we had so much stuff to drag onto the beach to keep our 3 kids happy. We did take the bus into Ocean City the afternoon we went to the board walk.