Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #1
Site Team

From PA to Myrtle Beach

Left Labor day for our annual Myrtle Beach Vacation. In the past our trips have been uneventful. But not this one. We started out our trip traveling from Pennsylvania down to Myrtle Beach. Traveling on I 81 a car attempted to enter onto 81 via my front fender. Swerving at the last second I actually put the 5th wheel up on two wheels avoiding an accident.
Recovering from the near miss, we continued on our way. A few miles from the Maryland border I passed a state trooper sitting between the north and south lanes. Next thing I know, he's up besides me with his lights flashing.

I stop and he tells me a fluid is leaking out of our Rv. It appears that the overflow for the freshwater tank filled up the bottom enclosure of the camper. I let the water drip on my hand and realized what had happened. I offered the trooper to smell my hand to see it was not black water but he refused. So back on our way again.
Next stop, North Carolina stopping for gas. After the pump refused to take my credit card, the attendant attempted to run it inside the store. No luck. Had to use my wife's card.
Finally got to our first campground for the night, set up and wanted to check the web for news and email. NO COMPUTER. Left it at home. Checked email with my phone to see my bank report unauthorized use of my credit card in North Caroling. No fooling.
Got that straightened out and made it to Lakewood campground today without any more incidents.
Hope the rest of trip is without incident.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pennsylvania-state-police.jpg (99.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ct.jpg (199.8 KB, 4 views)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Wow Mark that is an eventful first day. I can only imagine the chaos of the cupboards inside after a bounce like that! Hope the remainder of the trip goes much better!
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Site Team

The case of water on the floor let loose and items in the fridge were ready to fall out, but other than that, everything stayed put.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 09-08-2015, 09:01 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Glad your safe..quite the adventure.

I had someone try to merge on a short ramp via my camper door...and somehow didn't see my trailer..fortunately between me sliding into the left lane last second and they swerving back they came within inches but no contact. I actually saw this clown merging with the phone in one hand not paying attention...I just knew they were just going to keep coming...

Which brings me to a forum question..it is bad etiquette to get in the high speed passing lane on a two lane divided highway when I know darn well they're just not paying attention merging on the really short ramps we have here in parts of Ohio?

If I get in the passing lane for 30 seconds than I either have someone crawling up backside or a trucker bearing down on me.

Seems like a lose lose situation most of the time.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
Site Team

I try to anticipate traffic trying to merge from an entrance ramp and move into the 2nd lane if possible. Then return back to the right hand lane. In this case, there was a car along side me. Inside the Rv the only issue was a case of water let loose and items in the fridge were ready to fall out Everything else stayed put.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

good to hear..my incident happened during the return trip and everyone was fortunately snoozing in my TV, so no one is the wiser, with the exception my sons guitar was on the other side of the trailer when we got home!

Old 09-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

thanks for sharing your story...i sometimes leave the drain caps off my fresh water tank when driving home from short trips to drain the fresh water lines...i guess i could get pulled over too ..good to know

Old 09-08-2015, 10:36 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Mark5W, sorry you had these bad events, but glad you got through them. Regarding left lane etiquette, it is a lose-lose for us. When I move to the left lane, I try to get up to 75mph, which I hate, then clear the rabble on my right, and move back over. Anticipate your turn signals, so some idiot doesn't try to pass you on the right. The best lane is the right lane at 70 mph. With three or more lanes, I don't feel guilty in the second lane. And sometimes, when you know your exit is on the left, the left lane is the place to be.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:31 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Heading to Lakewood on the 18th. Hope you have better luck. Sounds like our trip to Ocean City last year. anything that could go wrong did. Let me know what the weather and what to expect. I am a virgin at this place. I was going through Washington do you think it is better to go 81?

John and Julie
Dubois, PA
2015 Zinger ZT31SB- 2008 Toyota Tundra
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:28 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Hey Mark that must have got the BP elevated but you are safe so that is what is important.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I think my heart rate went up just reading that! Glad you are safe- hoping for a very uneventful rest of the trip
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Mark
Just saw this post...Hope your having a good time now...It is always a little stressful towing on the road these days...I think there are toooo many drivers on the road that should not be driving...I hold a CDL and drove a 26,000 lb. truck for many years...As I was driving I could see into cars driving next to me because I sat up higher in the truck...There would be people reading the paper, drinking coffee, putting on make-up, and of course texting while they were driving...

Again glad that you and Susan are OK, that's really all that counts...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

As I said on FB, don't risk yourself the people around you or your equipment by swerving. Just use the horn.

Train horn kits work great to get peoples attention.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #14
Site Team

You lucked out on that one. Good thing you are all OK.

On a lighter note---did anybody require a change of clothes?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #15
Site Team

Had no choice but to swerve or I would have crashed into her drivers door. 8 tons rolling down the road at 63mph would have done a number on her Honda Civic. Lloyd, not change of clothes unless that what was leaking out of the 5th wheel when the cop pulled me over.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Ok horror stories let's chime in. Arizona 2014 a person in a pickup just plain whipped into a left hand turn directly across our legal path. I manually locked up the brake control and got on the truck brakes. We missed that SOB lucky for him.
Not a fun experience. I drive to survive it is sometimes a challenge for sure.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Mark
Now that you had a little time to settle in and CHIL-LAX, and sip on a little vino how is the trip going... Has the weather been co-operating with you... No mussel beach pics for us non beach dwellers...

In God We Trust
Old 09-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #18
Site Team

Going well Tommy. Chillin on the beach and enjoy the campground. Found some Muscadine wine down here. Hits the spot. Most of the rain has been during the late evening or during the night. It is a little windy though. Wont post the muscle beach pics but will show you at the Mason Dixon rally.
Right across from us a huge 6 wheel Crossroads Elevation pulled in. It stretches from the back of the campsite right up to the road. Very nice, but I don't think my F150 could tow it. But I'd give it a shot.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Glad to hear it...Enjoy...Looking forward to seeing those pics...

In God We Trust
Old 09-11-2015, 06:39 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Regarding the left lane question. Often I'll be on the HWY and my center lane will merge with the HWY ahead and it becomes the left lane. On this past labor day trip, I found myself in that circumstance more then once. Each time as I tried to get out of the left lane to allow fast traffic in, the 'fast traffic' behind me i sped out around and in front of me. It took over 5 mins for me to get out of the left lane because of the bozos behind me -- in the left lane! Arggg..
nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote