Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
New Camper

Gas stops on DC Beltway

I will be travelling with my 30FT Sunset Trail up 95 around the DC Beltway which I am not looking forward to! We are headed to Lancaster, PA area. My question/concern is finding a good gas stop off the 495 beltway that will be spacious for travel trailers. Any suggestions out there? I am considering going around the west side of the beltway back onto 95 towards Baltimore then get on the west side of the beltway around Baltimore to I-83 towards York, PA.
Thanks in advance.
JBurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I live in York, so here is my suggestion.
Take RTE. 301 just north of Richmond past FT. AP HILL, connecting to Rte 3 just north of Bowie, MD.
this will connect you to Rte. 97 and then onto Rte. 695 to Rte 83 to York.
this way, you avoid Rte 95 and 495 in the Washington DC area.
There are gas stations in the Bowie area.
[ I use this way traveling both north and south, avoiding the DC area.]
take a look at the map to see the connections.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:04 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Seabee has a good rt. 95 is horrible from that area all the way up through CT. I try to get off 95 in the Fredericksburg area if I can but have to say the outer loop around DC has not been a huge problem except on holiday weekends and then just stay away.
Before adding a larger fuel tank I would just fill up before I got to the DC area if possible and then continue on.

Steve
Old 08-31-2016, 07:35 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Smile Agree, agree, agree..........

Seabee and Steve are correct. I live in Westminster, MD and frequently travel the DC beltway. I have pulled my fifth wheel around DC to go south and back home many times but no more. It's no fun and no real gas stops that will fit a towed RV. It used to be there were slack times that you could gauge but not any more. Between totally discourteous drivers and sheer volume of vehicles, it's time consuming and white knuckle. And that's on a good day with no accidents. If there is an incident be prepared to sit, maybe even rent your bathroom facilities to other drivers in need . While the alternate route mentioned above has a lot of stop and go from LaPlata to 695, it's far better than the DC Beltway. There is some work on the Potomac River Bridge that requires alternating lanes right now but are there are plenty of fuel stops. I recently found fuel cheaper in Virginia a few weeks ago so try and fill up there.
I avoid 95 and 495 even if it means going out of the way.
Now let me tell you how I REALLY feel about 95 and 495............
finder9 is offline   Reply With Quote