Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Is Alaska really worth it?

We took an Alaska cruise in 2012, had a helicopter flight to a glacier and took the Skagway train. Now my husband wants to drive up there, but does not want to take the 5er. I get that. We've had enough trouble with that we don't want to subject it to rough roads.

So he is having problems finding a suitable truck camper for a good price that he can re-sell after the trip. His minimum standards differ from mine.

Buying a smaller trailer is not what he wants to do because you have to pay sales tax on it, plus you are dealing with that many more tires to worry about (the truck only having four).

We have been to the Rocky Mountains in B.C., Alberta and Wyoming. We have been to the U.S. Southwest. I figured the scenery in B.C. was about as good as it gets.

Is it really worth that long, long trip up there and buying and reselling a camper? Is it THAT special? We are keeping the Cruiser no matter what.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
Site Team

The answer to that question can only be found with a good heart to heart talk between you and your hubby.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Hey Lone..I picked up an older truck camper for this summer to alaska,yukon and nwt(all the way up the dempter hwy) Not taking the trailer either. Heard it is the way to go.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Assuming you have the truck, just calculate the cost of the truck camper, and only think you'll get $1000 for it when you return. But here's the bigger costs, and I'm only asking metaphorically, I really don't want your answers. How old are you? How long will this be possible for the two of you? What is the cost of regret if you don't go? Would not going cause friction? What else are you going to do with your time and money? It doesn't matter if it's a drive to Alaska, or to the middle of Kansas. A dream is a dream.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:55 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Hubby is 70 and I will be 64 in June. Hubby figures on selling the truck camper for what he pays for it. We have a truck with an 8' box.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

You have been given good advice from Martinsc and Lloyd. Best of fortune in your decision.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:47 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I think you guys are missing my point. Some places are worthwhile to visit, some are so-so. Some are easy to get to, others not so much.

Examples: If you have been to the Grand Canyon, then Dead Horse State Park in Utah is similar only smaller, so it's probably not worth the drive. If you have seen Bryce Canyon in Utah, then Cedar Breaks National Monument in Utah is similar only not as spectacular. Antelope Canyon in Page, Arizona is worth the drive no matter where you come from - a definite "bucket list" item.

So, having seen a lot of these great sights, as well as Yosemite (worth the drive), Colorado, and the Rockies in BC, I am asking if Alaska is worth the drive, because it is a very long, difficult drive.

I am not one to say I did it because I wanted to say "I did it". I want to do it because it is worth my time and effort.

So those of you who have been there, was it worth it? I don't want to put a lot of time and effort into something and then be disappointed. Not saying that Alaska isn't beautiful, but will we see stuff we cannot see anywhere else, anywhere closer and easier to get to.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I can't answer the question about value of the trip, but we are planning on an Alaska trip next year. However, I'm planning on taking the Cruiser. Considered all the other options. I don't want to spend 3 months in a TC (and rush thru the trip) or invest money and time getting a TC or any other rv set up to meet our needs as there are guaranteed losses with those options, just how much is unknown. And there can be on-the-road problems with any rv, especially one you are unfamiliar with. If I have zero problems with the Cruiser, then I am ahead and if there are major problems, then maybe it is time to buy a new rv a year or two earlier than planned.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I've been looking at flying to Alaska and renting an RV. The trip for me is otherwise too long. On one of the websites, they were looking for people to drive new units from Elkhart, IN to Alaska.....just another option.

As far as is it worth it? Don't know, but would like to find out!

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax

2009 Cruiser 30SK Patriot

jererp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
I can't answer the question about value of the trip, but we are planning on an Alaska trip next year. However, I'm planning on taking the Cruiser. Considered all the other options. I don't want to spend 3 months in a TC (and rush thru the trip) or invest money and time getting a TC or any other rv set up to meet our needs as there are guaranteed losses with those options, just how much is unknown. And there can be on-the-road problems with any rv, especially one you are unfamiliar with. If I have zero problems with the Cruiser, then I am ahead and if there are major problems, then maybe it is time to buy a new rv a year or two earlier than planned.
Thanks, Larry. We would have considered taking the Cruiser, but we have had a lot of trouble with it and since we have just had it for two years, we would like to get a few more years out of it. The only reasons we are keeping it is because 1. we love the floor plan, and 2. we hope we are past all the issues with it.

When next year are you planning to go? How long will you be taking for the trip?

Old 04-22-2015, 06:36 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Thanks, Larry. We would have considered taking the Cruiser, but we have had a lot of trouble with it and since we have just had it for two years, we would like to get a few more years out of it. The only reasons we are keeping it is because 1. we love the floor plan, and 2. we hope we are past all the issues with it.

When next year are you planning to go? How long will you be taking for the trip?
I'm planning on 3 to 3-1/2 months including plenty of sightseeing in BC (outbound), plus Washington and Oregon (return). Leave early July and avoid the Texas heat in August and Sept. My Cruiser will be over 5 yrs old by then and so far, 7 yrs has been the longest I have kept an RV (twice).

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:29 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

I can only offer my opinion and by no means am I suggesting you should or should not.

Given the time and the money to support the trip (food/fuel), I would do it without any hesitation. I would do it simply for the adventure of the trip itself. Alaska is like any other state. It has its good parts that 90% of the tourist flock to, the bad parts and the really awesome parts that with some work and fortitude will make the trip well worth it.

With that said, it is a long way to drive, especially pulling a trailer. Road conditions will vary month to month. If the end goal is Alaska itself and not necessarily the road trip, flying in and renting a car may be the next best option.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Thanks very much for your input. Taking the trailer is not going to happen. Flying and renting a car would be a bit of a chore since we travel with a cat.

Hubby kept finding truck campers that were too small for my taste, saying our truck can only handle a certain weight. So I said get a different truck. I guess that is the current project - getting a different truck. Then we can look at larger truck campers.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #14
Site Team

I'm curios as to why you don't want to take your present trailer?
Many have done it in the past and I'm sure many more will do it in the future.

By the time you end up with a different truck and truck camper, you are getting close to what it would cost to get a new 5th wheel after you got back from Alaska if the trip proved to be to much for your present 5er
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:30 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Our trailer is two years old and we have had a lot of trouble with it. It's been back to the factory twice. Every time we come home from a long trip, there are items to fix. When we got back from Florida the trim around the slide was loose (again!), the strap that holds the bedroom door open when you put that slide in was off and the toilet is not holding water.

We have heard about the constant construction on the roads there and how rough that is and we figure it would pretty well rattle the trailer apart. We like our trailer (except for the problems) and would like to keep it.

My husband says there is no way we are taking the trailer. He figures we would not have much of trailer when we get home. Keep in mind, this trailer gets a LOT of use.

Our truck is a 2006 GMC 2500 HD. It can pull the trailer, but technically we are pretty close to the posted limit on it, if not slightly over. We have been considering getting a different (probably late model used) truck, so why not do it this year.

The truck we buy will be used for a number of years, and if we buy a truck camper we would re-sell after the trip. So there is not a huge outlay since the truck will be replaced anyway, and we would most likely lose only a thousand or two (if that) on the truck camper. My husband is pretty good with selling stuff.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:58 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Hey Lone ...like I said earlier. I gabbed a TC for my short box....small compaired to the trailer.but doiable as I am going to run the Dempster hwy. I was told that tc is a good option. hwy gets muddy if it is rainy...will not be as convinient , but is nice to camp on the tundra in spots...

Old 07-31-2015, 12:53 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Well Loneoak ...we are about to leave Alaska tomorrow ...well worth it , Truck camper or not . The TC worked well as we could get a site anywhere,even parrall park in downtown anchorage..or get into tenting sites...
Saw alot or rvs ,but mostly on paved roads. weather has been great with no mosquitos...

Old 07-31-2015, 05:05 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

How long did you stay? How long did it take to get there? What part of Ontario are you from?

Our dentist has been north quite a few times and told me the best time to go is early May. He said the days are longer and there are fewer crowds.

We are in discussion with another couple to go together. They have a Class B motor home. We are still looking at truck campers.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

There are many options. There are groups that travel to Alaska .
There are guided tours wit a wagonmaster and tail gunner. Some folks prefer strength in numbers. Obviously you won't venture into the northwest territories.many with motorhomes and fifth wheels go this route.
Not for me I like to roam but it can be for some folks.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote