Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
New Camper

Membership clubs

Hey everyone, the wife and I are busy planning some trips in our new TT. Just curious about how everyone feels about membership clubs like Coast to coast, Thousand Trails, etc. We plan on a trip every other weekend throughout the summer and fall. Really appreciate any input the forum has.

Thanks, Ed & Krista
Ed Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I've had success with Passport America.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I do not belong to the clubs you named but do have good sam and KOA as we spend a couple nights each year and the savings pay for the card. I have and think I would like the PA . I have friends that have TT and C2C and I think they are like a time share. Big bucks for a number a days a year and you also have a yearly or small cost to stay for maintenance of the park. Just know it is a use or lose thing and it is a life time. I see lots of people trying to sell because they dont use it any more or an illness.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
Site Team

I belong to both Coast to Coast and Thousand Trails. I started out with the TT zone pass and went to full membership last fall. Very satisfied with the TT membership, they are in the process of updating all their campgrounds.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
Site Team

How much do you have to use those memberships before you break even?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

With coast to coast you have to have a home resort that you buy into, this is usually several thousand dollars unless you happen on a cheap resale membership. You will then pay membership dues to coast to coast yearly and maintenance fee to the resort yearly. These prices will vary based upon your membership level. We have a membership campground at travel resorts, with them we can pay dues to coast to coast. We elected to let that membership lapse since we weren't interested in most of their campgrounds near us. We do use our membership campground quite a bit each year. It was worth it to us because we love that campground and it isn't very far from us.

We also have a good Sam membership and AAA. Some campgrounds will give a 10% discount for either of those. I don't have passport America. Most memberships will be limited by some blackout dates. In the end each one is worth it to some and not others. You have to decide what is worth it for you.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
New Camper

Thanks everyone. We joined Good Sam and just weren't sure about some of the others.
Ed Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
Site Team

coast to coast cost me $85/year and home campground is $28/year.

thousand trails is $525/year and I get 90 days a year free camping $3/nite after the 60 days are up. The $525 is fixed since I'll be 62 this year. I can stay 3 weeks at a time in the campgrounds and right into another one for 3 weeks. We are planning to go to Florida next winter for 2-3 months and except for gas and food, the campgrounds will cost nothing.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 02-02-2014, 06:44 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

We joined PA before our trip out west in 2012. We got some good discounts, but found the campgrounds associated with them were not as plentiful as Good Sam. One thing to keep in mind with PA: there are quite a few restrictions like no weekends, short stays only, etc. at some campgrounds. Check the book before you go.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Thumbs up

We RV every summer for 4-5 months since 2002 and are members of Passport America.
The annual fee is around 49 US$ ,we easily cover it after 2-3 nights.
I did not make a calculation how much we save each year but it is hundreds of $$$.

CF29CK 2006

F-350 2006

https://danyshula.blogspot.com//
danyshula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyshula View Post
We RV every summer for 4-5 months since 2002 and are members of Passport America.
The annual fee is around 49 US$ ,we easily cover it after 2-3 nights.
I did not make a calculation how much we save each year but it is hundreds of $$$.

I guess I don't understand who is footing the rest of the bill then?????
These places don't operate without expenses. Somebody has to be paying.

Mark
When your 3 weeks are up, how can you be assured that there will be an opening in another for you to move into right away?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
Site Team

By contract, they are required to have sites available. Most of the campgrounds have a large capacity of sites. And I can book 90 days in advance.