Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
New Camper

We are planning a trip to Glacier NP in August and would like information about camping in that part of Montana. Has anyone camped in the National Park campgrounds there? What is your recommended campground? We have gone online, but it is unclear how large the sites actually are. We are a 27' Cruiser 5th wheel.

We are also planning to head up to Banff in Canada. Any hints on taking the trailer across the Canadian border?

Thanks,

Belton, Tx
texascruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
We took a trip to Alaska last summer and came back through Jasper and Banff back to Minnesota. Â*First, you absolutely need Passports. Â*Then have rabies vaccination documents Â*within 12 months signed by your vet. Â*Empty out your refrigerator of fresh fruits or vegetables. Have your title to your truck and trailer in case they ask and insurance info. Â*Also don't bring more than a couple of bottles of wine no hard liquor and no firearms and no bear mace. Actually we liked Jasper a whole lot better than Banff. Â*Also didn't get a chance to go to Glacier Pk on the Canadian side but we have heard since that we really missed out so we're planning to go another time.
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I was a kid when I visited Glacier NP. Â*Unless the "Going to the Sun" road has changed dramatically I'm not sure you will be able to safely tow your vehicle to the park. Â*There used to be a length limit and no doubt there still is. Â*It's truly a safety issue with no shoulder on either side for most of the trip. Â*You can find out more here.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
Site Team

I don' think there are any campgrounds on the actual, "going to the sun road"
What we seen were all just inside the park. On the west side. Lots of them on the outside, both east and west side.
Any way, that is the way I remember it, and I'm starting to be inflicted with CRS

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I can't really give you any advice as far as camping there, but I grew up just north of the Canadian side of the park. It is well worth the trip. Very scenic, but a little on the cool side. Definitely not a fall trip, as there is usually snow on the ground by then. If you can fit it in, go for sure. The US side of the park is much bigger as well.

As far as Banff goes, it is also really nice. However, as mentioned above, Jasper is nicer. Seems less commercial, if you know what I mean? I guess because it is further north maybe? Edited by: lenny

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:24 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
I have some new information. Â*I just read that to cross into Canada and back, that you need a government issued identity like a drivers license and a official copy of your birth certificate. Â*I would call border control and ask.
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:19 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Starting June 1st, Canucks need a passport to cross into USA. I would imagine it would be the same going the other way?

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Yep my bride took a cruise last year it stopped in Mexico, and she need a passport. I understand that one is need this year to go into and return from Canada. I think this is really stupid, h

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote