Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
New Camper

I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for short trips in NC area. We live not too far from the Charlotte area and because of work can only really camp on weekends for now. We hate to spend our Fri and Sun mostly on the road so we look for quick short trips down the road. After 2 summers of camping we are starting torun out. We will go anywhere but prefer to stay around 3hours or so on the traveling time. We have kids so that affects the choice a little too.
want2BontheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

how close do you want to stay to home (ie what travelling distance from charlotte?) Also what are you looking for in a campground (ie amenities, hook ups etc)? There are lots of wonderful places to camp in NC.

Here is a thread from a post I had on another website asking about places to camp in the Charlotte area... http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25670878/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

Also Jordan Lake in Apex near raleigh has some nice campgrounds (poplar point and crosswinds). This is water/electric only. There is a beach and you can fish (w/ NC fishing license). If you have a boat and get a waterfront site, many will bring their boat and beach it at the site (there is a boat launch at both campgrounds). http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/jord/main.php

If you are interested in a membership campground, we belong to Sycamore Lodge in jackson springs (near pinehurst). They are not cheap but they have a pool, hot tub, mini golf, shuffleboard, volleyball, nice playground, and a lake w/ paddleboats you can sign out.http://www.campnorthcarolina.com/

Also check out this site for more ideas: http://campgroundgallery.com/ This site was started by a member on this forum.

happy camping and maybe we will see you around!

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

There's a real nice KOA in Fancy Gap, VA about 2 hours from Charlotte. Right on the Blue Ridge Parkway and also close to Mayberry (Mt. Airy). We enjoyed several days there last summer to excape the heat.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I live in Florida and I go home from time to time and I like camping at a state park in my home town of albemarle N C it's about 30 miles east of Charlotte. Morrow mtn state park

2007 F250 super duty
Big smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

utt's campground in fancy gap about 1/3 the cost of koa and good place from whichto visit mt. airey(?),and all the andy griffith stuff

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Raccoon Holler Campground(Ashe County, Right off the Blue Ridge Parkway)

Grayson Highlands(Probably 20 degrees cooler than Charlotte;Hike to see the wild pony's)Grayson Virginia

Hungry Mother Campground(This weekend is the big craft festival at the park)Marion Virginia

Thermal City Gold Mine (Learn how to pan for gold; great people)Marion N.C.(They don't take reservations though) Will fill up on weekends

River Camp USA(Right on New River)Alleghany County

Just a fewEdited by: Papa-T

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote