Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Wife and I just returned from our longest trip, it was 5400+ miles to Yellowstone,Deadwook,Mount Rushmore,Little Big Horn,Crazy House,and several places in between.We went thru 13 States.Stayed at KOA's for easy of reservations from day to day.The best KOA was in Greybull Wyoming.Had concrete pad at all sites and very clean.June is the best time seems like.Temp was 41 at night in Custer SD and 65 during most days.Sure was nice to see the Tennessee State line though.We were only gone for 2 1/2 weeks,but that was enough for us.No fram issues ,no tire problems(Mission) and no truck problems.Best you can hope for.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Hi,
I’m sure that your trip would be unbelievable and full of excitement trip. Anyways, you have visited Mount Rushmore therefore I need some question. Basically my family wants to visit Mount Rushmore and Black Hills national forest which is near to this mount. Could you brief me that which types of facilities are available in these places and are these places suitable for kids?

I’m hoping you will provide me some better information about this place.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

We are heading in that direction. We are in West Yellowstone for the next few days before heading to Mt. Rushmore and crazy horse. We will stop by Devils Tower before heading back west to Montana. We will finish down the Oregon coast back home to San Diego.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

There are campgrounds about every mile around Custer SD.We stayed at the Custer KOA,they have the usual stuff for kids.I thind there would be stuff the kids would like.There are fancyer places to stay and not so fancy places.Custer is kind of central to a lot of sites.They have very good roads and when we were there seemed that the people were fewer.The trip thru Custer State park is a nice drive and see lots of animals of all types.Good luck.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
Old 07-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

We camped on the west side of Custer SP. Had our two grandsons, ages 13 and 15. Were there for four days, never ran out of stuff to do or see. Everthing is within a short drive.
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

We where in the Mount Rushmore Area Mid June 2008 when my girls were 7 and 4. We stayed a few days at Custer SP Game Lodge Area, then moved to Elk Horn Ridge in Spearfish. We though the kids would have been bored at Crazy Horse and Mt. Rushmore, they weren't. Everybody had a great time including the 4 year old.

There is so much to see and do (animals, Sylvan Lake, hiking, biking, site seeing) we didn't care about what the campground offered for the first 3-4 days, we then moved to Elk Horn Ridge which was very nice and much more relaxing. While staying in Spearfish we trekked out to Devil's Tower and took in what Spearfish, Deadwood had to offer.

Bring good walking shoes and you should be good.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

good to your trip..best wish to you

Old 03-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
New Camper

We are planning on going to Rushmore and Yellowstone this summer. We are also planning on using KOAs. Did you stay at the Cody KOA? It seems like a long commute into Yellowstone.What do you recommend and how long did you stay at Yellowstone?

Max the Golden and KC the cat.

2003 Ford F250 4x4 Turbo Diesel crew cab

2008 Sunset Trail ST28BH
lawfew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
Site Team

If you want to stay at a KOA, there's one at West Yellowstone. Pretty much right at the edge of the park. We stayed there a few years ago. I'll tell ya tho, it's MUCH nicer staying at the campgrounds right in the park.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
New Camper

Thanks for the tip. I just made my reservations for inside the park! No electric, but I think we can rough it for a few day. Much cheaper than stayingin Cody for the whole time.

2008 Sunset Trail ST28BH
Old 05-07-2011, 03:34 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the tip. I just made my reservations for inside the park! No electric, but I think we can rough it for a few day. Much cheaper than stayingin Cody for the whole time.

That was my concern while reading posts, cost.

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #12
New Camper

The campground in Yellowstone wasabout $35 a night with water and sewer. All electric sites were taken when we booked. Cody KOA was about $75/night. There is about 2 hours distance between the two campgrounds.

2008 Sunset Trail ST28BH
Old 05-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Best I remember it was about 50 miles from Cody to YS and we drove thru the camp grounds there and wasn't impressed.We stayed at Graybull which was another 50 miles from Cody. The Wal Mart at Cody was full of campers, but the drive from Graybull wasn't bad. Wasn't any traffic except thru Cody. We went several places like Custers Little Big Horn and Buffalo Bill sites in Cody.But you won't find a better KOA campground than the one in Graybull.Bust one I have ever stayed at.I think it was around $42.Concrete parking pads, concrete patios, friendly owners and I think all pull thrus. I really love that whole area.Good luck and happy camping

2009 Cruiser 29RK