Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

rand mcnally rv gps from apple for i pads

Has anyone have or tried this new app from apple? Price is right(99.00) & would be a convient package in your i pad.
loogie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

maps at the visitor centers at the start of every state and province work great also...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Will it work without internet connection? We don't usually have WiFi going down the road.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Our phone & i pad has its own hot spot so you are hooked up to the net. It is like using a air card on a lap top in the truck.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Not a clue how to set the ipad up for that.... then again I'm only a little technically inclined.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 03-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Not a clue how to set the ipad up for that.... then again I'm only a little technically inclined.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

No Mark that's what I want to do to the computers at work on a daily basis.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
Site Team

That's what I did yesterday when my 2 year old laptop battery permanently died. A message came up on the computer say the batter will not hold a charge and should be replaced. BTW HP wanted $115. Laptopbatteries.com $20. with a two year warranty.. go figure.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Be careful here because you will need to buy media, we found that the iPad GPS eats up air time fast. If you get into a place where there is no coverage you are dead in the water.
We decided to wait on the new Rand McNally GPS for RVers that was announced in January which connects via satelite. Not available yet.
We purchased a Garmin RV 760 for $395. but I kept getting this error message " No RV travel data available for this route." Duh, that's why I bought it so I would have RV routes.
mickeyndallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I haven't tried the app but it looks interesting. If you have an iPad with 3G the GPS does not use any bandwidth/wifi data for location services. If you just have the iPad wifi version it needs a hotspot to work. The size of the app (1.7gigs) suggest the maps are pre-loaded so cell service is not needed for navigation on the iPad 3G but the app does have live services features that will use up data from your plan.

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
New Camper

Hi Folks,

I had the RV GPS app pop up in my Google Alerts and wanted to offer up my support to anyone that has questions about the RV GPS App. A couple things I wanted to answer that I see being talked about.

The initial download of the app will require you to download maps from the cloud. After that there are monthly construction updates released. We STRONGLY recommend using a home or business WiFi connection for the initial update. It is large and could take hours on a air card / mobile hotspot.

It has been my experience (with customers and in-house testing alike) that tethering or hot spotting your phone to the WiFi only iPad results in unpredictable/inaccurate GPS location on the iPad.

There are GPS dongles available for iPad that will enable WiFi only iPads to lock onto satellites.

Cell service is not needed for navigation as turning it off does not deactivate the GPS module.

"We decided to wait on the new Rand McNally GPS for RVers that was announced in January which connects via satelite. Not available yet." This device is available now. You can find the 7725 at all Good Sam Camping World locations.

I think I covered everything so far. Please do not hesitate to ask any additional questions regarding the app or GPS device. I am happy to help in anyway.

Thanks again!

RandMcSam
Rand McNally
Product & Service Operations
RandMcSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Got the Rand McNally iPad app a few months ago and would crash everytime you opened it. Eventually got a refund from iTunes, but have recently read the issue was corrected. (Read the reviews for previous versions in iTunes). For a fraction of the cost I bought the Co-Pilot app which also has RV functionality.

I use the Dual Bluetooth GPS since I do not have a 4G iPad: http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/

And also picked up this mount to hold the iPad while driving: http://www.bracketron.com/universal-...t#.Ux5Ir5K9KSM

2014 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve ST33PB
2013 Ford F150 SCREW 4X4 EcoBoost Max Tow 6'5" bed 3.73 Tuxedo Black
Equal-i-zer Hitch
SJEagles609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

thanks for follow up. Looks like they had some probles at the start but have worked them out now.
helpful, thanks again

Old 03-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcSam View Post
Hi Folks,

I had the RV GPS app pop up in my Google Alerts and wanted to offer up my support to anyone that has questions about the RV GPS App. A couple things I wanted to answer that I see being talked about.

The initial download of the app will require you to download maps from the cloud. After that there are monthly construction updates released. We STRONGLY recommend using a home or business WiFi connection for the initial update. It is large and could take hours on a air card / mobile hotspot.

It has been my experience (with customers and in-house testing alike) that tethering or hot spotting your phone to the WiFi only iPad results in unpredictable/inaccurate GPS location on the iPad.

There are GPS dongles available for iPad that will enable WiFi only iPads to lock onto satellites.

Cell service is not needed for navigation as turning it off does not deactivate the GPS module.

"We decided to wait on the new Rand McNally GPS for RVers that was announced in January which connects via satelite. Not available yet." This device is available now. You can find the 7725 at all Good Sam Camping World locations.

I think I covered everything so far. Please do not hesitate to ask any additional questions regarding the app or GPS device. I am happy to help in anyway.

Thanks again!

RandMcSam
Rand McNally
Product & Service Operations
RVND 720

Maybe you can explain why the custom POI's can't be entered as shown in the manual. I have talked to tech support and it can't be done as shown and they said there was no plans to change. Kinda put a kink in my custom POI listing....

Of course that was over 6 months ago and so frustrated me I haven't tried lately. Maybe it has changed????
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

rand McNally rv ap fro ipads

Rand mc Sam: Has rand upgraded this ap since your march 14 entry? We have a 4g iPad air ?
Old 05-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Not very good reviews on this app. Tough to spend $99 on this.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote