Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2016, 07:27 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Traveling to Canada.

I need a little help from my Crossroads friends.

This summer we are traveling up the east coast of the US. We will be spending most of our time in the New England states. But we are thinking about crossing into Canada from Maine and traveling west and coming back in in through New York.

We need any advice in regards to crossing the boarder. I started thinking about what foods we are allowed to cross over with? What about my firearm? I'm a Floridian and normally cary a firearm especially when traveling. Last year going West was not a problem but I know in some of the northern states the laws are strict like New York and New Jersey. Gun laws are easy to find but if anyone has resources in regards to crossing the boarder. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And as always thanks you in advance.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:31 AM   #2
Site Team

You never want to try and take a gun into Canada. You will get in big trouble. Not even pepper spray, taser, or stun gun of any type.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Easy answer for the firearm, just leave it locked up at home if coming to Canada. I travel all over Canada and US with out one. Go on Transport Canada website and there will be info on what you can bring in .

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Easy answer for the firearm, just leave it locked up at home if coming to Canada. I travel all over Canada and US with out one. Go on Transport Canada website and there will be info on what you can bring in .
Actually, it's Canadian Border Services you need to contact:

Travellers - Visitors to Canada

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:22 AM   #5
Gone Traveling

We have traveled from border to border coast to coast the last 8 years & never once needed a weapon, yea imagine a Texan without a gun, & don't plan on carrying one. So as they said, leave it at home & take your passport instead.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #6
Site Team

You need either a passport or pass card to get into and out of Canada now. Passports take about 6-8 weeks to process, not sure about the pass card.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I was reading into it after I made the post. With the right forms and securing the firearm properly it can be done. The problem is I wanted to come in from one location and leave from another. Moving around Canada with a firearm seems a little more difficult. True I can leave my firearm and travel for 30 days without. Most likely I will not encounter the need for it. But unfortunately growing up in Miami and having numerous bad encounters, I prefer to have it with me. We will see what I do. In regards to food though it looks like meats and fruits have to be left in the US. We will need to shop in Canada and they do the same leaving.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Judging from your profile photo, it seems like you could just bark at the bad guys and scare them off.

I'd google "traveling with pets in canada" too and see if you need any special papers.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
Judging from your profile photo, it seems like you could just bark at the bad guys and scare them off.

I'd google "traveling with pets in canada" too and see if you need any special papers.
Unfortunately when we travel on long trips like this one the babies stay home with Grandma. Last year we did 30 days and 8200 miles. We don't spend enough time at the TT to bring the dogs. We don't like leaving them locked up for too long. Not to mention most parks don't allow it either.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

You won't need a gun in Canada. People are nice there. As for foods, you'll need to purge the fridge of meat, fruit and (I think) dairy as well. Have fun!
akaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:25 PM   #11
Gone Traveling

From my experience in Canada, purge your fridge, leave your gun at home as you need the extra storage for money, it's VERY VERY expensive there. $6-7 for gal of milk & same for diesel, paid $12 for a six pack of awful beer cause it was the cheapest, $60+ for a camp site with a 15-20amp electric & shared a 3/4" water faucet with about 6 others.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:40 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
From my experience in Canada, purge your fridge, leave your gun at home as you need the extra storage for money, it's VERY VERY expensive there. $6-7 for gal of milk & same for diesel, paid $12 for a six pack of awful beer cause it was the cheapest, $60+ for a camp site with a 15-20amp electric & shared a 3/4" water faucet with about 6 others.
Well I live in Canada and have traveled all through the US and Canada by RV and I can tell you a majority of that said above is not true.

I'm also a restricted (handgun) and non-restricted (rifles) licensed instructor in Canada.

Leave your guns at home. Unless you are bringing in a handgun for a competition and have the proper paperwork you will be denied entry. Same goes for the rifle unless you are here to hunt and have your proper paperwork and are meeting a licensed guide. You'll be denied entry or worse.

Average price for a gallon of milk is $5. Most food is more expensive here, especially poultry and beef.

Some fresh fruits and vegetables are not allowed but most are. Keep in kind frozen foods and a majority of dry goods are all fine. Over 50% of the time they will go inside your trailer and check to make sure you aren't bringing extra people in with you. Foods entering Canada in an RV from an American resident aren't the big deal. Unless you are traveling with some exotic food there is no need to clean out your fridge.

Minor children better have documents for. Passport or Nexus card for yourselves only. Dogs you may need vaccination papers for. That's it.

Majority of good campgrounds are full service with none of the issues listed above 30 and 50 amp service unless you're in the boonies - it's the same in the USA. Price is usually $45 to $55 Cdn a night. Your dollar is worth more so this isn't bad. Diesel is currently $3.90 Cdn a US gallon ($3.10 US).

Strict limitations on alcohol you can bring in per person to Canada. But you can bring it in. 24 beer per person OR 2 bottles of wine OR one 40 ounce bottle of liquor (per person). 200 cigarettes per person OR 50 cigars.

Heading back into the US from Canada you can't take any citrus or fresh fruit. US is way more strict on this. Raw vegetables and frozen meats are not an issue. Dump your fruit before you hit the border to re-enter the USA.

It's not difficult. We go across and back once per year for a 3 or more week trip.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:51 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaustin View Post
You won't need a gun in Canada. People are nice there. As for foods, you'll need to purge the fridge of meat, fruit and (I think) dairy as well. Have fun!
We cross back and forth between Canada and the U.S. a lot. Dairy is not an issue unless it's eggs. So milk, yogurt and cheese is fine.

Also, if you bring more than a certain amount of booze into Canada, you will have to pay duty on it. This happened to some American friends of ours.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:24 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Good answers guys, we need a little credit LOL. Beer is cheap in Quebec, Costco box of 60 cans coors lite 63 bux! Also have different brands available. Oh, when travelling east/west thru Quebec, take the bypass around Montreal, Hwy 30 i believe, my GPS wants u to go thru Montreal, its a nightmare apparently. Its a toll road, but worth it.
Canucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:04 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks View Post
Good answers guys, we need a little credit LOL. Beer is cheap in Quebec, Costco box of 60 cans coors lite 63 bux! Also have different brands available. Oh, when travelling east/west thru Quebec, take the bypass around Montreal, Hwy 30 i believe, my GPS wants u to go thru Montreal, its a nightmare apparently. Its a toll road, but worth it.
Yes, it's Highway 30 and it's a great road. No more fighting traffic in Montreal! We did that for many years whenever we went to the east coast.