Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Truck weigh scale rules

Today RV Travel (in their daily tips) had information about which states require RVs to be weighed at truck weigh stations:

RV Daily Tips Issue 777. Dec. 22, 2015 | RV Travel

Tomorrow they will have part two.

If we are in one of those states and come up to a scale which is open, it appears that we have to go in. Our trailer is over 10,000 lbs. without the truck.

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of thing? What happens if we don't stop?

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Live in Mississippi, do not have to stop at the scales, or in Louisiana Alabama, Texas , Arkansas Colorado, Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida All regs are for commercial units only
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I'm curious about this statement in the SC law:
"The scaled weights of the gross weight of vehicles and combinations of vehicles cannot be closer than 10% to the true gross weight."

That reads like you are illegal if you are at your TV max let alone those that run over payload. Anyone here know anything about this. We drive through SC. We would still be well within the law as our weights are good but I'm just curious.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:58 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Here is the rest of them:

RV Daily Tips Issue 778. Dec. 23, 2015 | RV Travel

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #5
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
I'm curious about this statement in the SC law:
"The scaled weights of the gross weight of vehicles and combinations of vehicles cannot be closer than 10% to the true gross weight."

That reads like you are illegal if you are at your TV max let alone those that run over payload. Anyone here know anything about this. We drive through SC. We would still be well within the law as our weights are good but I'm just curious.
As a fellow NC native, I don't see any of this being much relevant. In all honesty, how many of us have ever heard of RVers being pulled between here and Disneyworld?

I suspect most of these laws are only used when the DOT guy sees that 1997 F-150 pulling his 43' Elevation down I-95.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I delivered RV's, trucks, buses, etc. for about 4 years and used to stop at the scales when delivering an RV and 99.9% of the time they usually sent me down the bypass lane or just green lighted me across the scales without making me stop and weigh even when I DOT numbers showing. In the years that I delivered I have been across every state except for Maine, Oregon and Alaska. I eventually stopped going across the scales with an RV and never had any issues. Now if I was delivering a tractor or a straight truck then of course I would stop and usually would get weighed. As a recreational RVer I have never stopped at a weigh station and have never been pulled over for not stopping.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

While NEVER stopped with my rv's, years and YEARS ago, I was actually stopped with my 'hippy-dippy' copper colored ford econoline panel van for passing the one exiting Florida on I-10.

Yes, I did have shag carpet in it and we all had long hair but it was the wife, and two kids with me LOADED with luggage and gifts after a week at Mickey world...

They thought we were a commercial van as the suspension was down in the back from all them on the bed and the luggage sent us on our way after seeing the kids and a quick scan in the back.