Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2010, 02:37 AM   #1
New Camper

A new post from another newbie...

For those looking into a Slingshot...you should compare the currently available brochure (online pdf or dealer provided)to the Crossroads website. In researching the GT29BH we've noticed the hitch weight went down from 522#(old)to 436#(current). A call into Crossroads was most helpful to determine the actual number and why. A design change in axel placement after the brochure was produce is the reason. Appears there may be some other changes as well for other models.

We're new to TT's and have only towed smallboats so we're coming up with a number of questions. For one, is anyone towing a GT29BH without an anti-sway device (WD hitch/otherwise)?

We'll be towing our new, but yet arrived, GT29BH with a 2003 Ford Expedition, with conservative load in it, and wondering if this is something thatwe should be ordering nowor "try it out"...Dealers (of various mfg) in my area have pushed $1000 solutions just like I've seen many others comment on across a number of forums on the internet...

How we load may in the end force the purchase for weight distribution, but wondering about others experiences with sway - since we have none .

Thanks in advance,

Hertz
hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:34 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Back when we had travel trailers we started with friction sway control on our w/d hitch. When we went from a 25 foot TT to a 29 ft TT I didn't like the friction sway control. Had the dealer install the Reese dual cam sway control on our w/d hitch and it was much improved over the friction control. I think with the shorter wheel base of your Expedition you will be much happier with the dual cam setup.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:57 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Also a lot of suv's are coming with a passenger car tire be certain that you air up the tires to the max while towing this helps elminate the side wall flex

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

+1 on the reese dual cam. nice easy setup.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Our previous TT and TV combo was a 24ft travel trailer and 2 different Expeditions (1998 and 2006). Our set-up was friction sway, but towed it once with my friends dual cam which was a real pleasure. Given the rather light trailer and hitch weight your gonna feel some movement back there with passing semi's. Also does your Expy have independent rear suspension? If so your gonna feel it more so. If you go with the Dual Cam you'll have it in case you want to upgrade the TT down the road. It's small $$ considering the everything else including safety.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:46 AM   #6
New Camper

Thanks for all the input/replies...we'll most likely pick up a hitch. We're still waiting on an ETA for the trailer...

BTW - yes, our 2003 has independent rear suspension.

hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz
Thanks for all the input/replies...we'll most likely pick up a hitch. We're still waiting on an ETA for the trailer...

BTW - yes, our 2003 has independent rear suspension.

The IRS was a much better ride without the trailer attached, but a little more squatty attached than the solid rear. If your looking for hitch I would suggest Master Hitch in Palatine. I worked with the Waukegan store in the past which just closed this April. Sign of the economy.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote

« hello?... | Roof »