Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
New Camper

2014 franklin

We bought a 2014 franklin in Feb 2015. We love it, but slide on drivers side comes out going down the road since day one. This last month the roof let loose ( dealer put strapping down so we can use it), fiberglass side walls cracked at bottom front corner of bedroom slide. Anyone seeing these problems?
RAM IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM IT View Post
We bought a 2014 franklin in Feb 2015. We love it, but slide on drivers side comes out going down the road since day one. This last month the roof let loose ( dealer put strapping down so we can use it), fiberglass side walls cracked at bottom front corner of bedroom slide. Anyone seeing these problems?
Drivers side slide in the BR is the one that keeps coming out, but only in front.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Not the cracking. But slide trouble yes
My bedroom slides don't go in all they.
3 people tryed to fix and can't. Said the slide mechanisms
Are Crap. So I just tie the slides in as far as I can and hope they don't fall out
These trailers are Real Crap.

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Never had a slide "come out" but the crack happened to me and is relatively common. Mine was a vertical crack in the siding just below the lower front corner of the bedroom slide (abt 4" long.) Pretty simple fix. CR sent me a piece of "H" moulding to repair it with and I did it myself. I have seen other rigs (not CR) with the same issue. I also had a forum member contact me and she had the same issue so I mailed her a piece of the H moulding.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
New Camper

Thank you Stan. Wondering if you could describe what you had to do to install the H molding please? Mine would have to be about 2 ft long.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Add me to the list of cracks at the lower left bedroom slide. Even though I'm 6 months out of warranty, CR will honor the work. Trailer is going back to the shop to have them fix it.

2013 Elevation 3912
2017 Dodge RAM 3500HD Dually with AISIN
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
Site Team

It's happening on the Redwoods also. From what I have been reading CR is fixing them.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:05 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

From reading in other forum boards the crack might be related to a larger issue. I had one years ago on a Open Road by Pilgrim and it turned out to be a cracked frame, not saying this is the same but might just want to check to be sure. They had to drop the skin under the bedroom and checked the pin box area is where mine was, good luck and safe travels.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:12 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

The cracking issue happens. We had a Heartland Bighorn that developed two cracks in the bed slide wall, both inside and out. We worked with Heartland and ended up trading. We now have the Lincoln and have had minor stress cracks to both the outside living room slides repaired. They're holding up fine.
2016 High Country SILVERADO 2500HD DURAMAX/Allison
RJHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:26 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM IT View Post
Good morning!

Question- have you filed a warranty claim with CrossRoads to get these fixed? I know you only purchased in Feb, but sometimes it's better to get this stuff taken care of early on, for safety and so you can get the most "bang for your buck" out of your warranty. Let me know if you need any help getting the info for the warranty department, OR if you need the name of a reputable dealer in your area to do repairs!
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

I just had mine fixed at the factory

I had the same issue with my 2014 Elevation. You might want to check the opposite slide to see if there is a bulge developing. I had a broken wall stud poking out on the opposite side. The Crossroads fix is to add a relief cut under the left side slide and to remove the siding and add more wall studs and support to the right side wall. It is a common problem with these units as there was another one in the shop with the same exact problem when I picked mine up. It took nearly a year to convince my dealer that this was the problem and they finally agreed to send it back to the factory. Crossroads had it fixed in a week. I had agreed to come and get it if they would fix it. It is a very long way to Topeka, Indiana from Texas and I don't want to make that trip again if I don't have to. The body work looks to be good, hard to tell where they cut it only problem is all the polishing compound mess they left for me to clean up. Adding up the cost for me to go and get it and all the frustration that goes with it I would have been farther ahead to just pay some body shop to fix it for me. If you purchase your RV from a dealer expecting to get good service after the sale you live in a dream world. You are better off learning to fix these things yourself because no one will treat your RV like you would. Rant Over.
E Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #12
New Camper

Rushmore Cracks

We purchased a 2015 Crossroads Rushmore Franklin with the front bedroom window. We started full-time RVing in May of 2015. We headed to Wyoming, then made our way back to PA. While in Wyoming, we noticed a small fray in the driver side bedroom slide, so while in Indiana, we asked to have them check it. They got us in to the plant service center. While there, they found that 2 of the welds in the cap/slide area had come unwelded. They fixed this, then checked the door side slide as well, and found a stress crack, they re-inforced this side as well. Since returning to PA, we discovered that the skin under the cap has bowed. We decided since the roads are so rough, and we already had welds come apart, that we would get a Trail Air Flex Hitch. The first time we traveled with it was heading to Florida a few days ago, we stopped in VA, and had discovered that the cap had so much play in it that it came down, hit the valve stem on the hitch, and released all the air from the tubes. We have been in contact with Crossroads, and they are having a mobile service to come today to check it out. Our concern is that there may be more welds that have broken. We have talked to several people, and this seems to be an issue with the Crossroad RV's. We'll keep you posted on what happens. Thanks.
rolesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #13
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Please post some pictures.

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
Old 10-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #14
New Camper

P1030744.jpg
Old 10-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #15
TDG
Seasonal Camper

You didn't take any pics of the broken welds or stress cracks
Cause it looks good from that picture

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
Old 10-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #16
New Camper

This was the welds that they re-did, and added two more braces.

Shipshewana 7-29-15 002.jpg
Old 10-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #17
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Damn how. Did the fix the outer wall
Can you see the repair ?
Paint lines or blend marks

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
Old 10-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #18
New Camper

Yes, you can see the repair. They had to put a seam in where they cut the shell, and peeled it back. We know it's there, but they did a good job.