Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
New Camper

I'm in the market for a full-time fifth wheel to accommodate one person and one dog and I really like the features of the Rushmore Washington. I've been quoted a price in the low 50k range for a Washington with all the options and it seems like a great option on paper... The posts on this board have all but scared me off. I can't imagine paying that kind of money for a new trailer and having the landing gear installed incorrectly or the welds on the gray tank being so poor they wont hold the tank in place. And a one year warranty on a supposed full time coach in this price range? Scary.</span>
Some features that I want:

Snazzy looks
Auto level
Dual fridge/freezer
Washer/dryer
Dual pane windows
Dual a/c
Couples coach layout
Strong resale value at 5 years
Quality construction and attention to detail.

I'll be living in it full time in various locations across the US for the next 5 years. Tow vehicle is a 3500 Dodge/Cummins/DRW and weight of the coach is not a concern. I'd like to stay in the same price range as the Rushmore- 80k msrp and mid-low 50s street price. Is there a coach with the same features but better build quality in the same price range?

Thanks for any advice!
TheVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

you hear all the bad things about the Rushmores on here but never all the good things you are going to have some problems with any new unit no matter which brand you choose we have had our new 35CK since Oct of last year and are our 4th outing this weekend and loving the unit any small problems we have had the dealer and Crossroads have taken care of them would not be scared to recommend it to anyone I also pull new RVs from the factories in IN to dealers good luck on your search Jim&amp;Carol
Old 05-11-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
New Camper

Thanks for your reply Jim (and/or Carol)! You are right about that; all of them have problems.

I'm also looking at the Landmark Mesa which is around $5k more than the Rushmore . For that price a second bedroom slide would be nice.

How are the decals and end caps holding up on the 2011 Rushmores?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

TheVagabond, we have been looking at the LM Grand Canyon floor plan. The advantages I see between the two is the LM is a full time rated unit, 2 year warranty. Yeti Package Upgrade and the ability to upgrade axles and brakes plus a few more smaller options. Our needs would be more full time than a weekend unit. Just depends on what you intend to use the unit for.</span>
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Landmark & Rushmore are both under Thor ownership. I never looked in person at a Landmark. But I'm enjoying my Rushmore Jefferson with my sweetheart and my two fur kids. Really like ths double slide bedroom, oversized shower for washing the fur kids. Been in it for 5 months now. All problems fixed by me.. its a enjoyable RV. After living in two Alfa's for 5 years.

GaryEdited by: Ramn4ver
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
New Camper

Thanks for the reply, Gary.

How are the caps and decals on your Rushmore doing? I'm concerned about the resale of my future coach and weighing the investment in a painted unit. Truthfully I'm not a camper and will have no need for the unit after I finish working on the road. Current plans are to spend 5 years out there and pay off my home, then sell the coach.

Which would lose less value in that time; Rushmore Washington or Redwood 36FL?

I've only owned one caper and it was an older unit so this is new territory. I lived in it a year and lost $0.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Vagabond no problems with either a detailer of campers told me about some stuff to use on whole camper and it would protect the decals and the fiberglass I am camping wright now when get back home will put name on here for you everything is good on nose and back of camper are fine Jim&amp;Carol
Old 05-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Buy slightly used. You'll lose less money. We owned a 09 Arctic Fox 25p. Had it for 2 years didn't lose a dime when we traded it in on our Rushmore. So far decals & cap are holding up great. Had the Jefferson sprayed with Duratain protection. Still looks new.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

If you're looking for alternatives to the Crossroads, you might check out the Forest Cardinal/Blue Ridge line and the Keystone Montana Mountaineer. Forest River makes a good product, but no matter what you buy, be prepared for some odds and ends to go wrong. Make sure you choose a dealer with a reputation for taking care of their customers. That is far more important than which manufacturer you choose. Know, too, that those who have had problems are far more vocal on message boards than those who have not.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
New Camper

Thanks for the advice, all.

After weighing the pluses and minuses, the Rushmore is looking like a good choice. It is almost what I want and the next step up is a LOT more money.
What's the best deal on an extended warranty? The dealer offers a comprehensive warranty that covers 6 years after the factory warranty with a $100 deductible. Does $2,800 sound like a fair price? </span>

I'm also looking for a loan. The dealer's finance guy thinks I can get mid 4 percent range but I'd like to shop around a little. Any advice about where I should look?

Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVagabond
Thanks for the reply, Gary.

How are the caps and decals on your Rushmore doing? I'm concerned about the resale of my future coach and weighing the investment in a painted unit. Truthfully I'm not a camper and will have no need for the unit after I finish working on the road. Current plans are to spend 5 years out there and pay off my home, then sell the coach.

Which would lose less value in that time; Rushmore Washington or Redwood 36FL?

I've only owned one caper and it was an older unit so this is new territory. I lived in it a year and lost $0.

Decals fine, havn't kept on top of the caps like I should have and are showing fading. Have you looked at the Redwood/Blackwood? Good luck ....

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Love our FloorPlan on the 38CK. The Decals have held up and we always get so many looks and comments about its beauty. Of course it gets washed and waxed as needed and stays in storage when not in use. with that said, second time we have a hairline crack on back cap. Getting it replaced. Some fading on storage compartment in the front of RV.
Rushmore2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

I have a 2011 Rushmore 36SB model. You asked about end caps and decals. The Decals have held up just fine, they are as new. The end caps need a maintenance buff/polish and wax as there is oxidation developing. That's the project for the weekend as we get ready for the season.

Sportsfan949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

@ sports fan. There have been a lot of complaints about the caps fading... The CR sent a rep to our dealer. Ours didn't fade but we keep in storage when not in use. ...decals though are good
Rushmore2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

I have heard of this, I called crossroads and was advised that they have seen this and that it's a surface maintenance issue, they claim it buffs right out and a marine/RV sealer and wax needs applied. I will try this weekend. My decals are all fine.Edited by: Sportsfan949
Sportsfan949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #16
New Camper

Thanks for the replies, everybody.

I can't talk myself out of the Washington after taking another look at competing brands. The floorplan is unbeatable at this price and it has everything on my checklist. The only other option that's tempting is the 36FL Redwood but I don't see 42% in additional value in the Redwood- especially with one less bedroom slide. I'm capable of fixing small issues that may come up and I'll see what is out there for an extended warranty.

Considering the following, what are your suggestions about choosing a dealership?

My home is in Kansas City but I live on the road so the physical location of the dealership is of little help. In a couple weeks I'll be going from KC to PA and would like to pick up a new unit on the way. National RV Detroit has a 2014 in stock set up exactly as I want. The dealership has mostly good reviews online and they offered the unit in the low 50s. It has every option but the slide awnings and generator, exactly the way I would have ordered it.

What other dealerships would you all recommend that are in the general path from KC to PA?

Old 09-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #17
New Camper

Final update to this post: After reading all of the complaints about Rushmore RVs I couldn't make the purchase. The frustration from current Rushmore owners who are dealing with such poor workmanship is something I have no desire to experience.

It's really sad that Crossroads produces a product that is unfit for it's purpose.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

I have my doubts that any brand is not having the same issue as crossroads. With the downturn in the economy in 2008 there was alot of layoffs and early retirement buyouts in the auto and rv industry. With the economy in better shape the automotive and rv industry is having a hard time keeping up with the demand. They are hiring alot of new untrained employees thus causing numerous quality issues. Also, I hate to say this, but the current new workforce don't have the work ethic as the older workforce. Is this due to lower pay to cost of living now, or the younger generation have not had to do without like the older generation and are not appreciative of their employment. Current employee healthcare and lack of retirement benefits is not helping the industries either. All this being said, I have just purchased the Crossroad rushmore lincoln and though it is not free of defects I am very happy with my unit and looking forward to many trips in this unit.

Jamestn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVagabond
Final update to this post: After reading all of the complaints about Rushmore RVs I couldn't make the purchase. The frustration from current Rushmore owners who are dealing with such poor workmanship is something I have no desire to experience.

It's really sad that Crossroads produces a product that is unfit for it's purpose.
Looks like somebody was able to read the writing on the wall!!

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Let's hope that the new management can stop the bleeding created by the old management. This will be hard to do with the high turnover rate of personnel at Crossroads. I wonder if that had anything to do with Don &amp; Tom cutting the pay of the line workers a year or two ago and then firing their manager for sticking up for them? Whoops, did I say that......
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote