Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Bumper Mounted Bike Rack

Anyone install one of the 2" bolt-on receivers from Camping World on their rear Rushmore bumper, and then mount a bike rack into the receiver? Was the bumper strong enough to support two bikes? Did you weld braces to reinforce the bumper attachment points?

Thanks
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Again, check with frame manufacturer if any alteration will void the frame warranty.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:47 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepaine View Post
Anyone install one of the 2" bolt-on receivers from Camping World on their rear Rushmore bumper, and then mount a bike rack into the receiver? Was the bumper strong enough to support two bikes? Did you weld braces to reinforce the bumper attachment points?

Thanks
Used one with a 4 bike Swagman on my Blue Ridge. Only problem was bumper flexing in travel causing the end caps to come loose, and lost a section of "stinky slinky". As Mark said, it could void your warranty. I'd check with the frame manufacturer first if you're still under warranty.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:45 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I put one of these mounting receivers on my 2006 Crossroads 5th wheel and use a Swagman platform style 2 bike rack. There have been no issues or concerns with this set up. I live and travel in West Virginia. Our turnpike and Interstates have some very serious issues in certain places, many opportunities for a stress test of the bike rack!! I have had no concerns or issues with this set up. I highly recommend the Swagman platform rack. No tie downs or bungee cords required.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
New Camper

gepaine We have a Rushmore Monticello. My advice is to contact the people who made the frame. While we were having the leveling system installed at the Lippert factory, we asked them to put the receiver on the rv. The warranty is void if you have a receiver put on by someone who is not certified by Lippert.
kampersjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I had one on an old trailer and the bolts bent and damaged a bike. I'm' in the process of getting an adjustable receiver and bolting it to the frame.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Problem Solved

I called a welding shop and asked if they could add bracing to the bumper mounts on our Rushmore so I could carry bikes. The man said to bring the trailer by and he would look at it, but in almost every case he has seen, the only safe solution was to weld a complete receiver hitch to the frame.

I took our Rushmore to him, and after looking over the mounts, he was very surprised at how "beefy" the installation was. Said he had never seen a trailer bumper that was made out of such heavy gauge steel, nor such strong welding of the bumper to the frame.

He said I was "good to go as is", however, if I want I could come back after carrying the bikes on a couple of trips, and he would inspect the welds - just in case.

Regarding voiding the warranty, I'm not concerned about that as it will expire soon anyway.
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:19 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

We put on a bolt on hitch. Multi-Fit Motor Home Trailer Hitch, 47" - 71" wide Hidden Hitch Specialty Trailer Hitches 82201 . We too did some checking with people and shops that deal with fraes. We were told looks good been on for just short of 900 miles. We do keep a eye on the welds so far looks good. We understand frame warranty but decided to take chance all 4 of us like having our bikes. Plus on of our camping buddies is a meltalfabricator and checks it to and will fix if needed. It is a personal choice and what you want understanding the possible issues
jsd493 is offline   Reply With Quote