Old 09-23-2014, 05:02 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Carpet Replacement in a 2013 Jefferson

Hello all, first time poster here. I am thinking about replacing the carpet in my camper. I have no illusions about being able to do it myself, so I'll be hiring the work out. I know a really good carpet layer, but RV's aren't his normal area of work.

Has anyone been down this road with a similar Rushmore? If I can talk him into doing it, I'd like to be able to give him as much info as I can about the how the current carpet is attached and what goes into installing the new stuff.

OR...

Should I seek out someone who works on a regular basis with RV's for this sort of job?
jschemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Do a search, there are several, who have replace their carpet with new carpet or Laminate
Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the wonder dogs and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

While I can't say specifically about the Rushmore, typically the carpet is put down before the walls are placed, meaning it runs under the walls and will have to be cut along the walls. This is different than house installations. Otherwise it is held in place with hundreds of small staples. No tack strips are used, so that is different also. Probably no carpet pad either. Finally, there may be a few places, like in the bedroom area where it covers exposed steel and is just glued in place.

It will take a lot more time to remove the old carpet and all the staples than installation of new carpet, so you might do the removal yourself. Also, at the edges, the carpet will need to be folded over and then stapled, therefore, many carpets will be too thick or too stiff to work well for an RV installation.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
http://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:00 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks guys, I see from the thread below that this may be something I could try myself. I'm pretty handy around the house, but I've always relied on professionals for my carpet laying needs.

I called Crossroads yesterday and they confirmed that the carpet is stapled to the floor. I should have asked for more clarification but my assumption is that if this is the case, there is no tack strip at the edges and the stretching process that would take place in a sticks and bricks house doesn't apply here. Correct?

I like the OP (I'm going to message him) of the post below idea of using the carpet he cut out as a template for the new stuff he's going to staple in. I've installed a fair amount of ceramic tile and I always have a few cardboard templates around of the tile to cut out to use for intricate cuts.

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ghlight=carpet
Old 09-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
New Camper

I can tell you, you will have to have the slide out pc's bounded at the edges. It is not a easy task, might be worth it to pay a installer a few hundred to install. Just saying from experiance.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschemist View Post
the stretching process that would take place in a sticks and bricks house doesn't apply here. Correct?

I like the OP (I'm going to message him) of the post below idea of using the carpet he cut out as a template for the new stuff he's going to staple
You are right, you can't use a wall-to-wall stretcher, but a knee kicker would be helpful. I doubt the old carpet will make a decent template, you will stretch and tear it getting it out due to all the staples. It will take a lot more time to 'save' the carpet than to make a better template for the difficult areas. But you probably don't need any template, instead you will need to fold about 1 inch under at the edges to prevent fraying and then stapling it.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 09-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
You are right, you can't use a wall-to-wall stretcher, but a knee kicker would be helpful. I doubt the old carpet will make a decent template, you will stretch and tear it getting it out due to all the staples. It will take a lot more time to 'save' the carpet than to make a better template for the difficult areas. But you probably don't need any template, instead you will need to fold about 1 inch under at the edges to prevent fraying and then stapling it.
Dayle1, when you mention folding the carpet under at the edges, are you talking about edges where the carpet meets a wall, or where it meets an open area? In my unit (rear living), this would be where the carpet from the living area meets the vinyl of the kitchen. Or do you fold it over both places? Obviously, I haven't done this before, but it seems to me like that could be a little too thick, even with a short pile carpet. Can anything be done to mitigate this?

Nicky, I'm brave enough to try laying this carpet myself, but not so much to try to bind the edges for the slideouts on my own. I'm sure there is someone locally who can handle that for me.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Both places and the difficulty of folding the carpet is the reason most higher quality carpets are not good candidates. Only option is to use a carpet with backing that is not just woven fabric, because it will unravel. A rubber coated backing will work or something similar. Potentially you could add a rubber coating to a plain woven backed carpet.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 09-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
Site Team

Easiest alternative to professional binding:

Nail to floor and using rubber mallet bend to bind. Only problem is that it can only be used in straight runs. And will not work for slides. But they do sell another product for that. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Instabind...4SGE/204693813

Metal ones are available at Lowes. http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

'13 Cruiser Patriot 335SS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

We replaced ours last winter. It is not to bad, just a lot of staples. We used the transition strip in the main area that mark5w showed. You can make bends in it by cutting slots in the back side. On the slide carpet we used Instabind and it worked great.

The only really hard part was under the booth.
We went to a carpet place and got a remnate. The lower the nap the easier it will be. Stay away from loops or berbers.

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote