Old 07-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I am really having trouble to keep these caps looking good, now I am no body shop tech so my buffing and waxing could be better. These caps seem to fade and oxidize really quick. When I get them looking good it only lasta1-2 momths and its back to looking faded again. I do store it outside.Crossroads told me its a surface maintenance issue, OK but when I get it polished and waxed and 6 weeks later we are in the same fading condition im at a loss.Cant seem to get a definitive answer as to if this is paint or gelcoat, have been told both.

Any ideas as what needs done to maintain these correctly?

Also have been told crossroads maintains the exterior is only a one year warranty, my trailor has the 2+5 coverage. Can not find anywhere that the exterior condition is only one year.

The Rushmores now have a light cream color cap, not sure if these problems caused them to change that or not. This issue is well known and does not surprise anyone I talk to but no one seems to have a clue as to why the accelerated fading is occuring, The getcoat polish I use has UV protection in it also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks Sportsfan949
Sportsfan949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

What year is your RV? And brand of wax are you using?

Gary
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Site Team

Stop using wax and switch to a polymer protectant. I use Rejex http://www.rejex.com/. I know my Rv is only 1 year old but some others I know use it and they said it's good for a year. Really don't like the floor stuff either. I've seen a few with it on and is was flaking off. Good luck

'13 Cruiser Patriot 335SS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Crossroad Rally" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Saw a 2011 Rushmore today.....the front cap looked terrible. All faded out. The owner owns an 18 wheeler paint and body shop, and said it won't buff out. He plans on repainting in the future.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I have a 2012 Rushmore 34SB and noticed this spring that the front cap was starting to fade at the top. 4 months later the fading has grown from 3 to 4 inches at the top to about 15 inches. The original brown color is turning into a dirty white color.

I only use RV Camco wax (same I used for 10 years on my previous unit) twice a year and I have stored the unit inside a shelterfor 6 monthslast winter. I purchased the unit in March 2012.

Has anyone been successful in getting this fixed under warranty?

MM

2009 Silverado Duramax 2500HD
North_Bay 34SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I thought I remembered someone on here within the last couple of months that had a class action suit going against Crossroads on the Rushmore line. Anyone know what happened to that thread? It would appear from the number of Rushmore issues posted here that they have issues.

MM, good luck with your problem. Crossroads seems to be hit or miss on what they will or won't cover under warranty. I would get on them ASAP before you run out of warranty and things get worse.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

They say the gel coat is maint issues. They will not even consider taking care of this issue. I am trying to find someone who does mobile detailing. My warranty is up in sept 2013. This has been an issue since the first 6 months.
Sportsfan949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Once the dark color starts to fade and oxidize you will not get the color back. You can make it look better but it won't stay that way. It has to be replaced or repainted and clear coated.

We talked to a couple on a trip back in May that had a Redwood with the standard finish. His front cap looked really faded and he told me he had been waxing it since they got it. His unit was just over two years old and he was not happy about it.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I do not know what the big deal with a lot of manufacturers making trailers today with dark color outsidewalls and front caps.

In the South, this is a bad idea during the summer time, makes it harder to cool, fades faster in the sun, makes no sense to me.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

I met a chap this week that has a one year old Cruiser with the two year warranty on it and his has faded, his dealer is ssuppose to be working on it
Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the wonder dogs and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote