Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Low Water Pressure

I have a 2015 Rushmore Springfield. The water pressure seems low (compared to previous trailers we have owned) in the shower - both on city water and using the water pump. The pressure seems OK in the kitchen and in the bathroom sink. Not necessarily any greater, but then we don't need as much pressure to wash dishes or brush our teeth.

I have had the dealership check it out twice and they thought the pressure was normal; however, they only tested the city water connection and did not use a pressure restrictor. (I observed one test and had to agree that the shower pressure was acceptable without the restrictor.)

They are saying we don't need to use the 40 psi pressure limiter because now-a-days campgrounds do a better job of regulating their water pressure. If this is true, that would solve the problem when connected to city water, and, on the positive side, the lower water pressure when using the pump would help conserve fresh water when dry camping.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Do you think it would be safe to stop using the pressure restrictor?
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #2
Site Team

I do not believe the dealers statement that the campgrounds do a better job of regulation pressure. I will always use a pressure regulator. Did you try a different shower head on the shower? If could be faulty or has debris in it. By the way, they now sell a high flow water regulator. high flow water regulator Bought one and my flow has increased.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree with Mark that you should still use a PR. You just never know when a campground pressure will be too high. always turn off the water at the hose bib when leaving the RV for the day or even a few hours. You may also have a flow reducer in the shower head or hose that if removed may help.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Check the shower head to ensure there are no obstructions in the line. I don't think they have a shut off button on the side, but I will look tomorrow. I did check my pump and it is rated at 3.6 gpm....better than some, but not as good as the newer digital 4.2 gpm pumps.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Interesting conversation. Our campground water pressure is at 45 regulated I guess from the city supply. Sometimes when the campground is rather full especially on weekends the pressure drops and the flow in the trailer reflects that. On another note, our fresh water pump runs for a bit then shuts off dropping the pressure and then kicks back on especially noticeable when showering or even running tapwater, the dealer says this is normal. Other campers I have talked to tell me their pump runs as long as water is being used and has a constant pressure flow rather than full, drop off pump runs then full, drops off then runs full etc. Anyone else have this same set up or something wrong with the water pump?
ROD Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

ROD Camper, the pressure will definitely drop as more and more people open their taps. Our pump stops and starts, when only opening the taps part way, giving a surge in the flow. If at least one of the taps is fully open, the pump runs continuously and supplies a constant flow. I was told this is normal, during our PDI, we haven't had any issues in 5 years. Hope this info alleviates any concern.
Cooper the Golden Retriever, and
Sam the black lab.
CampMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:56 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I bought the "High-Flow" pressure regulator from Camping World and it has solved the problem of low pressure. It claims to increase flow by 15-20%, and I think it does.

Thanks for all the responses, especially the pointer to the high-flow regulator.
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

In our park We are on city water. At night we nobody is running water the pressure will run at 90psi. During the day when a lot of campers are running water it will drop to 60 psi.
So yes always use your PR.
grandpadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpadon View Post
In our park We are on city water. At night we nobody is running water the pressure will run at 90psi. During the day when a lot of campers are running water it will drop to 60 psi.
So yes always use your PR.

WOW! 90#psi would be enough to loosen up the joints and fittings.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

shower flow

Unscrew the shower hose from the faucet and remove the rubber flow restrictor and rubber anti-back flow washer and then check out the flow. You may need to run the water with the hose off to get them out and you may get wet.
It worked for use.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

pressure tank

We would have great water pressure for 10 seconds and then it would drop off. It was very noticeable in the shower.
I installed a 1.5 gallon pressure tank into the water line and now we have a constant 40 psi no matter what is running.
They are available at any home improvement center and sold as hot water heater pressure tanks. We adapted the tank and Tee fitting to hose connections so the tank can be brought in for the winter.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thanks, will give that a try KamperDave.
ROD Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

The High pressure one above was tried and returned ....
I got an adjustable one that I can regulate to what I want
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote