Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #1
New Camper

Outside speakers

The outside speakers do not work when the radio is on and I don't see any where on the unit to change the speakers to the outside. There is a small cable coming out at the amplifier over the couch. Could this be the wires to the outside that would require another radio?
johnjlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

They are usually separated using the balance control on the radio. Front/rear.
Our old Heartland used this and our new SS26SI uses the zone control. Zone A/B

I havent heard of any RV using two radios
Reese StraightLine WD w/dual cam sway control
Delillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:49 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

It will most likely be the fade setting on your radio. It is the same as setting from front to rear in your car.
Danny Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:56 AM   #4
New Camper

Thanks, I will try this. Do you know what the connection at the amplifier would be used for? It looks like oversize phone connection and has 7 different color wires.
johnjlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Just to clarify, Balance means left to right. In 99% of cases, you want it right in the middle. Unless your normal seating is too close to one speaker, and too far from the other.
FADE, on the other hand, is front to rear. Whatever balance you have dialed in, should stay in place. We use the following FADE: All the way one way or the other for inside or outside. In the middle when we want the same sound both places (unusual) or slight signal on the inside, so we know what's playing on the outside, without disturbing cabin occupants.
Be advised, manufacturing techs don't understand this at all. It is very common to get a TT wired so that Inside and Outside speakers are wired as Left and Right. If you find that Balance moves the sound in and out, then it must be re-wired. (easy job at back of radio, but only if you know what you're doing) To hear only one channel of a stereo source is just plain wrong, and will sound bad.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I just took my trailer to the dealer for warranty repairs this morning. The speaker wiring was one of the items on my list.

The geniuses at Crossroads ran one line from the left channel to the two indoor speakers and split it and another line to from the right channel to the outdoor speakers and split it. So both indoor speakers play the same left channel signal and both outdoor speakers play the same right channel. Unbelievable.

If there were a Mono setting on the head unit, I could switch to Mono and get both channels to play indoors and/or outdoors. No such luck.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
I just took my trailer to the dealer for warranty repairs this morning. The speaker wiring was one of the items on my list.

The geniuses at Crossroads ran one line from the left channel to the two indoor speakers and split it and another line to from the right channel to the outdoor speakers and split it. So both indoor speakers play the same left channel signal and both outdoor speakers play the same right channel. Unbelievable.

If there were a Mono setting on the head unit, I could switch to Mono and get both channels to play indoors and/or outdoors. No such luck.
Did they act like they thought this was acceptable? Just because you have "sound" out of each speaker? I would through a fit, and I don't care if they have to open up the walls and ceiling! Go to Crossroads, don't let the dealer blow you off!
Dalzell SC
Old 03-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
Did they act like they thought this was acceptable? Just because you have "sound" out of each speaker? I would through a fit, and I don't care if they have to open up the walls and ceiling! Go to Crossroads, don't let the dealer blow you off!
The service writer seemed to understand the issue. Hopefully they don't have any trouble explaining it to Crossroads and getting them to approve the warranty claim.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
The service writer seemed to understand the issue. Hopefully they don't have any trouble explaining it to Crossroads and getting them to approve the warranty claim.
That's a good start. I'm sure this is not the first time they've gotten such a claim.
Dalzell SC
Old 06-08-2020, 07:12 PM   #10
New Camper

On my 2014 Rushmore it has two switches for the speakers above the kitchen switches on the right when you come in
Igt2beme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

I have the SSL stereo. On mine you have to push in the big silver control knob and keep pushing it in and out until you get to Fd. Then if you turn it to the left you get Fb and it goes to 7, that is out side speakers. Turn it to the right and you’ll get Fa and it also goes to 7, that is inside speakers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9B4F8ABA-8DD7-4AD9-8928-71D40DE8DD90.jpg (133.1 KB, 3 views)

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:13 PM   #12
New Camper

2020 Drive Stereo

We cannot get the outside speakers on the Drive DVD/ Stereo to shut off while watching a DVD. We’ve tried all kinds of zone buttons and the A, B, C buttons. Nothing works! They are always on. We don’t want just the tv speaker because you can barely hear it if the AC is running. Manual only shows how to wire it, not run it... no online manual that I can find. Seems all older models had Jensen Stereo/ DVDS and this can be solved.
Mnnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:24 AM   #13
Site Team

If you put the make, model, and year of your camper in your signature, some body might be able to help you.

We need more information on your part.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:37 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

It seems every one is different. On our model, the inside and outside sets are wired to the front and to the back. Appropriately, each has a left and a right. While left/right is adjusted by balance, the control between front and back is FADE. Go through the radio menus. When you find Bal, you're in the right menu. Keep cycling until you find Fad. All the way one way is inside only, and all the way the other is outside only. In the middle, both sets are equal. Hope this works for you.
Dalzell SC
Old 07-03-2020, 09:04 AM   #15
New Camper

Sunset Trail SS262BH

On our Sunset Trail SS262BH 2020, we’ve tried the BAL and Fade on the Drive brand stereo menus, it adjusts the speakers inside, but they remain on outside. We’ve had other campers and had luck with that option.
On this one, if the surround sound is on inside, the speakers outside just remain on.
I’m hoping this isn’t a take it back to the dealer situation. Might take a better look at the wiring when we get home. Hope everyone is having a good 4th if July weekend and thanks for your replies!
Mnnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #16
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnnative View Post
We cannot get the outside speakers on the Drive DVD/ Stereo to shut off while watching a DVD. We’ve tried all kinds of zone buttons and the A, B, C buttons. Nothing works! They are always on. We don’t want just the tv speaker because you can barely hear it if the AC is running. Manual only shows how to wire it, not run it... no online manual that I can find. Seems all older models had Jensen Stereo/ DVDS and this can be solved.
Ours is controlled by two rocker switches where the kitchen and outside light switches are. They are identical to the light switches. We had the same problem but discovered this by accident. Hope this helps
Igt2beme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:13 PM   #17
New Camper

Thanks for the reply. We don’t have the switches, that would be great.
I believe we’ve figured it out though... on the stereo, we have to HOLD the 1 button. Seems to work