Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #21
Full Time Camper

gepaine
So this procedure cost you in the neighborhood of $6,500...If I read correctly your auto insurance paid for it.???
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #22
Family Vacation Member

Yes, it cost approximately $6500, and my auto insurance carrier paid all but my $200 comprehensive deductible.

I was concerned that they might try to avoid paying, but they gave me absolutely NO problem at all!
Old 09-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #23
Full Time Camper

That is great to hear. It's to bad the manufactor wouldn't cover it as it is obviously a installation problem caused by a lack of quality control in the industry
Old 09-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #24
Family Vacation Member

I didn't ask Crossroads for a "goodwill" out-of-warranty repair, so I don't know if they would have stepped up. Going to Crossroads was my backup plan if the insurance wouldn't pay.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #25
Full Time Camper

Just curious as to what the weight gain will be. Did the installer mention any info in this area?
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:32 PM   #26
Family Vacation Member

I didn't bother to ask since it seemed to have so many advantages over a rubber roof.

However, since you asked, I found a Rhino Coatings dealer's website that stated it will add between 45 and 65 pounds to a pickup depending on the size of the bed. Assuming the 45# figure would be for a short bed, and the measured square footage of coating in my short bed is 76 sq. ft., then the coating would typically weigh 0.59 pounds per square foot (45 divided by 76). The area of my roof that was coated is approximately 9 feet by 32 feet so the weight of the coating would be about 170 pounds. (9 x 32 x 0.59).

But to get the weight increase, we have to subtract the weight of the original EPDM membrane which I found on the web to average about 0.33 pounds per sq. ft. for 1/16 inch thick EPDM. That means the original roof weighed about 95 pounds (9 x 32 x 0.33), and the weight increase is about 75 pounds.

Not something to lose sleep over.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:19 PM   #27
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepaine View Post
Yes, it cost approximately $6500, and my auto insurance carrier paid all but my $200 comprehensive deductible.

I was concerned that they might try to avoid paying, but they gave me absolutely NO problem at all!
So your auto insurance paid because you were towing it when the roof was damaged correct...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:30 PM   #28
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepaine View Post
As I said in my original post, it is my belief that it was caused by two straight days of driving into extremely strong headwinds so it was covered by my comprehensive coverage. (I insure my trailer under my auto policy.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
So your auto insurance paid because you were towing it when the roof was damaged correct...
Tommy, I think that was asked prior. See above.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #29
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
I don't think so. It's just another vehicle on my policy. It's covered when I'm not towing it just like my truck or car are covered when I'm not driving them.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:27 AM   #30
New Camper

I own a 2014 Washington Rushmore kept in covered storage, and this has happened to me twice. First was in 2014 on way to west coast roof slide back from under neath front cap, covered by warranty replace by Ronhoover RV , second time 5/2017 same thing roof slide from underneath front cap contacted Ronhoover and crossroads and neither will stand behind work. Crossroads stated the 10 warranty is on the rubber only not how installed .
Sswawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #31
Family Vacation Member

So Far, So Good

sswawa,

It has been 10 months since I had the Rhino roof installed, and I am pleased with it so far. My Rushmore is stored uncovered during our northwest winters. With the rubber roof, every spring I had to clean mildew and algae off it. After the first winter with the Rhino coating, it looked new and needed no cleaning at all.

I did have one very minor leak that the Rhino dealer promptly fixed under the 10-year warranty. It was at the bath skylight where the coating overlapped the perimeter of the skylight (as it should), but the edge of the coating was sealed with lap sealant in a way that allowed a small amount of water to pool and eventually find its way under the coating.

Another problem that I noticed and was promptly fixed before a leak could occur was where the coating was sprayed up the sides of the antenna base and it failed to stick to the metal. According to the owner, they should have sprayed up to the base and sealed with lap sealant.