Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Rubber Roof Problem

I have a 2015 36-foot Crossroads Rushmore 5th-wheel purchased in December 2014 so it was 6 months out of warranty when the problem occurred.

While driving from Glyndon, MN to Bismarck, ND on 6/25/2016, and from Bismarck, ND to Medora, ND on 6/26/2016, we were driving west into a dead-on head wind of 25 mph with gusts to 40 or 45 mph. This was a total of about 350 miles as the strong winds were present all day, both days.
After positioning the trailer at the Medora Campgrounds campsite, I noticed a ripple in the rubber roof membrane about 2-feet to the rear of the joint at the front fiberglass cap.

Also, there was a gap in the caulking almost the entire length of the joint between the fiberglass cap and the roof membrane. The membrane had moved toward the rear about 3/4-inch and taken half of the caulking with it, leaving a gap in the caulking. Note: The edge of the membrane never came out from under the fiberglass cap.

I was able to work the ripple forward and back under the fiberglass cap, and mostly closed-up the gap in the caulking, but it needed sealant applied as the joint was no longer water-tight. I found a local RV tech who installed a patch over the gap which we hoped would get us home where a more complete repair could be done.

After we arrived home, I noted that the ripples had once again appeared plus there was an indication that the membrane had started to pull out from the left and right side rain gutters as well. The rubber membrane was no longer glued to the plywood for at least the first 12 feet back from the fiberglass cap, maybe even further back.

My question is what options should be possible for fixing the roof? My expectation was that the rubber membrane could be re-glued to the plywood since it is still intact with no cuts or tears; however, my dealer tells me that the only fix that will prevent future problems is to completely replace the roof (rubber membrane) to the tune of $9000. The service manager says that the existing membrane has been stretched by the wind, and it will never lay down correctly again.

Has anyone gone thru a similar problem, and if so, how was it repaired?
Old 07-29-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

We has a problem with our roof last year where the staples wer coming through. Luckily it was covered by warranty. We had a new roof put on at the factory. This was in July. We stopped at Erie, PA on the way home, then went on to Niagara Falls. This is where I noticed ripples in our roof. This was a brand new roof! So we took pictures of it and found a local RV tech who fixed the problem. He had to glue the front part down again and he added a second strap to keep it down. We have taken a number of trips since then (PEI, Florida, Alaska) and so far it has held.

I can email you the invoice from him if you want to read what he did. We sent the invoice along with pictures before and after to Crossroads and they reimbursed us.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:50 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

There are company's now that apply a coating on the roof with lifetime guarantee that is better than the rubber membrane. A lot less than 9000.00
Old 07-30-2016, 07:39 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
There are company's now that apply a coating on the roof with lifetime guarantee that is better than the rubber membrane. A lot less than 9000.00

I think that is called RV Armor. I haven't seen any reviews. Curious about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slick View Post
I think that is called RV Armor. I haven't seen any reviews. Curious about it.

I read the article about RV Armor that was in a recent issue of Trailer Life magazine. The coating is applied over a rubber roof, and the rubber must still be glued to the underlayment. In fact, the article says that if the rubber has come loose, the company can also re-glue it.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Friend of our had it done three years ago loves it
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Loanoak
I would like to see some pics of the repair to your roof if it's not too much trouble...Have seen many RV's (mostly 5ers) running down the road with a big roof bubble right behind the front cap...You know the membrane was not glued down properly...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Loanoak

I would like to see some pics of the repair to your roof if it's not too much trouble...Have seen many RV's (mostly 5ers) running down the road with a big roof bubble right behind the front cap...You know the membrane was not glued down properly...

Yep.....friends here have new Montana Legacy. Went to Michigan, and on return trip roof peeled back. No glue under it at all.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
Old 07-30-2016, 08:32 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Loanoak
Sorry, I checked and it looks like I deleted the pictures.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:17 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Sorry, I checked and it looks like I deleted the pictures.
I have a 2016 Crossroads Cruiser CF351MK and I am sure without looking up paperwork that the rubber roof is warranted for 10 years. I would think your repairs should be covered by factory warranty. Have you contacted Customer Service by phone?
breams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by breams View Post
I have a 2016 Crossroads Cruiser CF351MK and I am sure without looking up paperwork that the rubber roof is warranted for 10 years. I would think your repairs should be covered by factory warranty. Have you contacted Customer Service by phone?

I would think vendor warranty.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
Old 08-02-2016, 06:29 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I would guess that the roof membrane itself is what is covered by the warranty but not the installation
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #13
Site Team

I would agree with you.
Seems like wording is the key to everything when it comes to whether or not it's covered under warranty.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:20 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I think that warranty is for defects in the membrane, not for sloppy and improper installation...It sure as hell couldn't hurt to find out though...

In God We Trust
Old 08-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Auto insurance company has agreed to pay for a new roof. They were willing to pay $9000 for a new rubber roof, but I am going with a Rhino Roof which will cost them about $6500 and be guaranteed for 20 years.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepaine View Post
Auto insurance company has agreed to pay for a new roof. They were willing to pay $9000 for a new rubber roof, but I am going with a Rhino Roof which will cost them about $6500 and be guaranteed for 20 years.

Great news. Got to ask though how and why your auto insurance will cover it?
breams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #17
Seasonal Camper

I'm impressed! Keeps the coach up to 20* cooler.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
Old 08-18-2016, 09:00 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Great news. Got to ask though how and why your auto insurance will cover it?
As I said in my original post, it is my belief that it was caused by two straight days of driving into extremely strong headwinds so it was covered by my comprehensive coverage. (I insure my trailer under my auto policy.)
Old 08-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Glad to hear that it will be taken care of...

In God We Trust
Old 09-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

New Roof Finished

I picked up our Rushmore yesterday, and am very pleased with the installation of the Rhino Eco Coating roof. They seem to have done a professional, neat, and thorough job.

It was installed by Rhino Coatings of Auburn, WA; however, I found two RV dealers in Washington state that also install Rhino roofs – one in the Long Beach area and one in the Tri-cities area. The Auburn outfit charges $180 per linear foot of roof.

It is a 5-day process that includes the following:

Removal of roof-top equipment (A/C’s, vent fans, etc.).

Removal of rubber membrane and caulking at front and rear fiberglass transition joints, and replacement of any other caulking that has deteriorated.

Replacement of any plywood that has water damage (at extra cost). In my case, no repairs were needed to the plywood.

Fill any plywood joints that have gaps.

Grind down/sand off all glue residue and any filled joints.

Apply primer coat.

Apply Rhino coating. The coating appears to be a little less than 1/8-inch thick. In my case, they overlapped the front and rear fiberglass caps by about 3-inches, and overlapped the metal strips that previously secured the rubber on the sides down to, but not into, the rain gutters.

Reinstall roof top equipment.

The coating is silver in color and is visible on the sides above the rain gutters. We think the silver looks fine with our color scheme, but we could have opted for the edges to be painted with a special paint with various colors to choose from. That would have cost an additional $500.

About the original roof: They told me that there appeared to be an adequate amount of glue on the roof, and in some places, maybe more than was necessary. They also said that the glue was still soft in some areas which I think may have something to do with it coming loose. It is my understanding that the glue they use is a type of contact cement, and I know that you are supposed to let both surfaces cure (become tacky) before putting them together. Maybe it was a combination of too much glue in some places and too little curing time. Just guessing here.

I will try to get and post some pictures of the finished product, but that will be at least a month away. (It basically looks like the photo previously posted on this thread.)