Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
New Camper

Rushmore Black Tank Valve Location

I have a 2012 Rushmore 39SB that has a black tank valve that won't move. I'm not sure which side the valve is on. I do see some surgery done on the belly street side. I'm thinking that may be where someone has accessed before to work on valve. There is no slide in this location so this is just a guess. Does anyone know which side this is on before I waste too much time?
Thanks in advance!
Old 09-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Different model, but ours is pretty close to the outlet. I suppose you have cable operated valves. Hate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
New Camper

That's what I figured

That's what I figured since there is a gas pipe there in the way and one of the screws is hard to get to and doesn't want to move.
And yes, it has that awful cable operated valve.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Vegetable oil and hot water, let soak for a while and see what happens. Worked for another forum member about a week ago.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Had to replace my black tank cable last summer. Why they used a braided cable, I'll never know. Replaced with a solid steel cable. It was a full day job. Dropped the belly. R&R cable, then the nightmare of reinstalling the belly. Took two C clamps, clamped the front edge of the belly, looped a rope through the C clamps, then around the ball hitch on my truck. Pulled it tight as possible. Screwed in brackets on belly.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:05 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I just cut a flap in the coroplast to work through. Replaced our black tank cable operated valve with a Valterra EZ electric valve. Gorilla taped it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:08 AM   #7
New Camper

Smile Replaced all 3 waste valves

I just finished replacing all 3 of my waste valves. Not too bad of a job once I located them. Cables were alright and I just shot some silicone in them.
The only slow down was having to repair 2 holes in the rear grey tank. Someone at Crossroads didn't have the right length tek screws so they just used very long ones. The screws are to hold up the coroplast but also went through angle iron and into the tank. I used JB Weld plasticweld to patch holes. I hope this solves the problem.
Now to put the coroplast back! I don't know how anyone with no mechanical experience can own one of these things. It seems to be a continual project of repairs.
Richard
Old 05-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Sticky Black Tank Valve

I am also having problems with the black tank cable linked valve. Its a pretty tough pull each time I need to 'dump'. Gray valves are pretty smooth so no big deal there. I am considering the Valterra EZ electric valve. If I gotta replace the dang thing I might as well go with a better system. I think I would rather go to the dentist and have a tooth pulled or something more exciting and fun.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Pro BSer is offline   Reply With Quote