Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2018, 10:24 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Rushmore Springfield Inverter

We have a 2015 Rushmore Springfield and I need help with the inverter wiring.

The inverter that is installed in the "basement" quit working and none of the control panel lights illuminate. I traced the problem to a severed control wiring ribbon cable. The cable connects the inverter in the basement to the control panel mounted on the wall near the lighting switch panel (in the kitchen above the buffet).

The cable runs from the inverter thru the basement wall into the front storage compartment. The cable ends about 2-feet into the compartment where the end looks like it has been sliced off quite neatly. I suspect that it was rubbing against a sharp metal edge at the point it exited the compartment on its way to the kitchen.

My problem is that I cannot find where it left the compartment; hence, I cannot find the rest of the cable to splice it back together. If someone with a Springfiled can tell me where their cable exits the front storage compartment on the way to the control panel, it would be a great help to me in finding my missing half of the cable. Also, a picture would be even better.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:01 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm surprised you haven't had a response yet.
Now you are calling it a inverter. Are you sure it's not a converter?
Maybe the Rushmore has both?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

It's the 700 watt inverter that came factory-installed to power the residential refrigerator. It "inverts" DC power into AC power.

Yes, I am also surprised that a Springfield (or other Rushmore owner) has not replied.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
Site Team

Aren't the control panel light DC?

Does your fridge still work when it's operating on the batteries?
Old 10-01-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Aren't the control panel light DC?

[Yes, but since the control cable is severed, there is no voltage (DC or other) provided to the control panel.]

Does your fridge still work when it's operating on the batteries?

[Since the control cable is severed there is no way to turn on the inverter and produce AC, so no, the refrigerator does not work if I want the power to come from the batteries (via the inverter).]
I don't need to troubleshoot the problem further. I just need to repair the severed control cable.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:37 AM   #6
Site Team

Sorry. Just trying to help.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Sorry. Just trying to help.
Thanks. I appreciate it.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Give me a day or so to see what I can find where wires go on my springfield....

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #9
New Camper

Hi, take the black plastic cover for the bedroom slide controls off, same wall as converter in upper left corner , 3 screws. Wires come from front compartment into the area behind cover then into ceiling. Might have to take the other wall where the water filter is hidden out to find other end of wires, there are a number of wires that are snaked across the ceiling to find the ribbon cable. Not hard to snake the wire back again. Should be some slack somewhere. Hope this helps!
rimoskeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepaine View Post
We have a 2015 Rushmore Springfield and I need help with the inverter wiring.

The inverter that is installed in the "basement" quit working and none of the control panel lights illuminate. I traced the problem to a severed control wiring ribbon cable. The cable connects the inverter in the basement to the control panel mounted on the wall near the lighting switch panel (in the kitchen above the buffet).

The cable runs from the inverter thru the basement wall into the front storage compartment. The cable ends about 2-feet into the compartment where the end looks like it has been sliced off quite neatly. I suspect that it was rubbing against a sharp metal edge at the point it exited the compartment on its way to the kitchen.

My problem is that I cannot find where it left the compartment; hence, I cannot find the rest of the cable to splice it back together. If someone with a Springfiled can tell me where their cable exits the front storage compartment on the way to the control panel, it would be a great help to me in finding my missing half of the cable. Also, a picture would be even better.

Thanks.

Do you suppose the cable just came out of a connector? Most connectors either snap down on the ribbon, or are hinged to lock the ribbon in.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #11
New Camper

Angry Inverter wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slick View Post
Do you suppose the cable just came out of a connector? Most connectors either snap down on the ribbon, or are hinged to lock the ribbon in.
Ignore my last post was wrong cable! pulled basement wall off and your cable runs under the floor and comes out at the fresh water tank fill hole in floor! This sucks as you will have to drop the coroplas underbelly to get at! Sorry it is not what you wanted to hear! Rimoskeeto! Another brilliant crossroads idea!
Old 10-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Rimoskeeto,

Are you saying the routing is from the inverter in the basement, thru the wall into the front compartment, then under the basement floor, and up thru the hole where the fresh water fill tube goes down to the tank? (And then makes its way to the inverter control panel in the kitchen?)

If this is correct, where exactly does it leave the front compartment?
Old 10-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slick View Post
That's possible, but it doesn't change anything. I would still need to find the connector that it came out of.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #14
New Camper

Mine comes through the wall then down to the lower right hand corner behind the batteries then into the hole with the rest of the wires under the coroplast,then comes up at the fresh water tank fill! Take the wall out tha has the trap door on it then you will see it!
Old 10-09-2018, 04:29 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimoskeeto View Post
Mine comes through the wall then down to the lower right hand corner behind the batteries then into the hole with the rest of the wires under the coroplast,then comes up at the fresh water tank fill! Take the wall out tha has the trap door on it then you will see it!
Great! Thanks for the info.

I know the wire bundle you are talking about. I was rooting around in it where it goes thru the floor, but was unable to find the end of the cable. If I can pull it up thru the hole at the fresh water tank fill, then maybe I can route it across the inside of the basement ceiling and reconnect it to the other end (after pulling the other end back into the basement.)
Old 10-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimoskeeto View Post
Well, as expected, Crossroads didn't build two Rushmores the same way!

I looked thru the "trap door" and had a clear view of the hole that the fresh water fill tube goes thru. My ribbon cable was not routed that way.

I'll have to remove the wall to find it. Looks like a project for next season. Good thing is I have an RV refrigerator and don't really need the inverter. Didn't want no stinkin' residential refrigerator so I went with the (expensive) option for an RV fridge. (Just kidding about the residential fridge having an odor.) I have used the inverter on the road, but also have no hesitation to run the fridge on LP over the road.)

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamar View Post
Give me a day or so to see what I can find where wires go on my springfield....
Gossamar,

I'm still interested in how your cable is routed if you have the time to check yours out.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Okay...sorry for the delay...but my inverter cables all feed back into the front batter compartment..including the "phone cord" cable(invertor label states D.C. input, remote in a square box, flat cable) that appears to have rj45 connection jacks. just inside the battery compartment, there is a connector...from there the cable joins into a wire loom that disappears under the trailer. I have too much junk in the way currently to see if I can see it through the trap door. My build date was late July of 2014 at the Redwood Plant....frame is even stamped Redwood.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:07 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Gossamar,

Mine was built around the same time, also in the Redwood plant.

Question about the location of the wire loom where the cable exits the battery compartment: Is it in the far back, right corner of the compartment? (That's where I suspect mine exited the compartment.)

Thanks
Old 10-18-2018, 08:17 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Yes, the loom is in the right corner of the battery compartment....my connector does not look like the picture above...it is like an rj45 junction block...