Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Slow & straining landing gear

Since we picked up our 2012 Rushmore 35CK we have experienced slow extension of the landing gear as it picks up the trailer for unhooking from the tow truck. It also seems to strain more and more, as if it were running down the battery, as it gets higher from the ground. While it has never really been a problem I would like for it to at least strain less. Here is my question:

Would adding a larger battery help alleviate the problem?

I have talked with a RV repair person who said the gears and motor could not be replaced with a different set. I'm not sure I agree with that so if changing out the motor and gearbox would help I would even be willing to go that route. Just wondering if a "stronger" battery would help.

Thanks for any input you might have and if anyone has resolved this I'd love to hear how.

Robert in S. La.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Running on battery does slow down retract and extend. I try to always use the gear when I am hooked up to electric.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Robert:
It's hard to tell without seeing and hearing your landing gear, but I guess I would describe mine the same way. The more you lift, the harder it seems to strain.

If you haven't already done it, I suggest you call Lippert and talk with somebody there that is suppose to be knowledgeable with their landing gear setup. They should be a wealth of information and be able to answer your questions.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Lloyd, you are correct and have described it better than I can when you say "The more you lift, the harder it seems to strain."

I'm not sure there really is a problem but it bugs the heck out of me. My previous rig was a Holiday Rambler product and it was not like that. It was consistent no matter how high it went. I was just wondering if others experienced the same thing and had found a fix.

Just for clarification, I never operate the landing gear on battery only. It's always plugged in but, as I understand how dc systems work, the battery supplies the power and is recharged by the converter.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Mine has been that same way since new in 2007. As I understand it the higher you go the more weight you are lifting, thus the added strain
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Absolutely normal
Old 12-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Site Team

Actually, the higher you lift shifts a little bit of the weight behind the rear axles. Higher is not heavier. The lower the front is the heavier it is until the slight weight shift to rear.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 12-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Dose the trailer get heavier the higher you lift it after it off the truck?
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
Site Team

Once it's off the truck the weight is the same whether you raise it higher or not.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Not really just changes the load
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

What is the confusion the trailer weighs what it weighs on the truck or on the landing gear.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
Site Team

Talking about the weight on the landing gear. Remains the same whether you are raising or lowering.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

If the weight remains the same, and I believe it does, then why does the motor that extends the landing gear begin to bog down as it lifts the trailer higher and what can be done to fix that? That is the big question!

My suspicion is that either the power source is weak or maybe the wires going to landing gear motor are too small causing a voltage loss. I read on another forum that someone solved the very same problem by installing a solenoid between the "up/down" switch and the lifting motor. BUT, they were not dealing with the Intellijacks system either.

As I said in original post, the landing gears do work. It just bugs the heck out of me that it sounds like it's straining so hard after a while that it will just give out.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
Site Team

Could the problem be the motor starts to get too hot as it lifts the RV?? Maybe the motor is undersized.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post

Talking about the weight on the landing gear. Remains the same whether you are raising or lowering.

Hmmmm, I think the weight actually assists in the downward movement. That being said, I would feel the motor and see if it is getting hot. I doubt the motor draws over 30 amps, probably not that much. The converter should easily handle that load.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slick View Post
Hmmmm, I think the weight actually assists in the downward movement. That being said, I would feel the motor and see if it is getting hot. I doubt the motor draws over 30 amps, probably not that much. The converter should easily handle that load.
Yes like lifting free weights they come down a lot eaiser then they go up! Physics and gravity. As the load or demand continues the motor will start to strain. It does not mean that it will fail. I would assume a larger motor could be the answer.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

just my opinion ...if its a lippert , it's probably on the border of being undersized. motor pbobably made in china like elec stab jack motors.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

on our previous 5er (SOB) it did the same thing...
I always had it plugged into 50 amp or the truck with the truck idling to get full power (but my problem was a single undersized battery that the dealer put in)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Johnboytoo, did changing the undersized battery solve the problem? That was one of my original thoughts ... the battery was too "weak" to maintain the lifting throughout the process.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Actually I talked the dealer into a new battery, but still not convinced it was a real deep cycle battery that had the power to do the job, so I fell back to always assisting the battery with the idling truck or shore power...
that worked enough to where I never bothered to even check the amps or the hp of the motors...

While a very nice rv, it may be that the MVP Destiny 355re just didn't have the 'gear' ratio to be 'quick'..
it always got the job done, but always seemed to strain even WHEN plugged in...

One thing to consider if you decide to change gears, is that changing gearing may lose torque or strength in the gears... so talk to the mfg first... to find out torque and gearing requirements...

I can say the leveling system on the redwood is scary fast compared to our old 5er.

good luck !