Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
New Camper

We are looking at stepping from our Class A pusher and going back to a 5th wheel. Our last 5th wheel was a Travel Supreme that we special ordered. It was perfect from day one and never had to go back for any issues, Done right the first time.

So last week we came across an auction on the Rushmore Lincoln and fell in love with the floor plan. Requested and received the auction reserve BIN $ number and got even more excited. So our next step was to go look at a unit more local for some hands on time. Time to view, sit, play, explore and learn.

Sat in the upper living room and got comfortable when a sales person walked in to pay a visit. We talked a little, he told us he could do an excellent price on any of the remaining Rushmorein stock. Stating that the factory was making some changes which included installing the cabinets from the Redwood line of trailer as well as all Rushmores would be coming with the 6 point leveling system. Said that since the Rushmore and Redwood were built on the same assembly line that the company figures it would only make sense to simplify production.

Then we started going thru the trailer and began to notice some little quality issues like carpet separation and a few other little items. Did a walk around and noticed the electric stab jack switch on the curbside rear and pushed the extend side of the switch, nothing happened. Then I pushed the retract side of the rocker switch and the jack started to lower. I kind of laughed it off as someone on the assembly line having a bad day or being distracted.

We came home still excited about the price we were quoted, an $84,000 unit for $52,000. The I started doing some research and came across this forum. Made it over to the Rushmore section and well our search for the perfect 5th wheel will continue. It will not end with a new Rushmore in our future. Now let me also add that I did do plenty of reading in other forum dedicated to other CrossRoads products and will say that many owners are pleased. And many are disillusioned with the service either received or not received from customer service on warranty issues.

It does however sound like the Rushmore has more disgruntled owners than many other manufactures, brands, and RVs in the current market place.

This post was not an attempt to bash or down talk the product line, and please don't take it in that manner. The post is meant as appreciation of your honesty in stating the views of your experience with Rushmore. Maybe CrossRoads will open their eyes and realize that they not only have some unpleased frustrated owners but are also loosing future sales by not addressing concerns of current owners.

Best of Wishes, may your roads be smooth, and your pleasures many.
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I think you made a good choice - however I do believe that very few manufacturers have good quality these days unless you are willing to spend well over $100,000 on a unit from a few select ones.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

As a side note - I see you on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum. Your 2013 F350 dually will handle pretty much anything you can find out there. Good luck in your search.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

In fairness you do see more neg posts than positive posts due to unhappy people complain more than happy people praise. That said there are a lot more neg posts here now then there were in 2011 when we bought our tt. I'm a big believer in following your gut instinct. Yours led you to find issues on that unit and complaints here. Now its telling you to walk away. While I love my tt, if your gut says don't buy it then definitely listen to it. Happy hunting.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

After the many issues with our Jefferson. We made lemonade out of our lemon. We enjoy our Rushmore. Good luck.

Furnace on..check..41°.. fire place on...cheese cake for breakfast..
Gary Edited by: Ramn4ver
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Just got back from Myrtle Beach with our 2014 Rushmore, we have several issuse, but most are small. I think any price range has its problems. For the most part we have been satisified, we like the floor plan and full front windshield. Friends of ours had a $300,000 pusher and had alot more issues. So for now we are good.
RICK7458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:45 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Good to know. Going to pickup 2014 rushmore monticello on wednesday.
gone camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

One thing I have learned from this forum - Do a thorough PDI and make the dealer explain it all. No rush jobs. Quite frankly, I have learned more from this forum than from my dealer.
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BODERRVING View Post
One thing I have learned from this forum - Do a thorough PDI and make the dealer explain it all. No rush jobs. Quite frankly, I have learned more from this forum than from my dealer.
That is so very important. Look and look again. The dealer couldn't believe I wanted to go on the roof. This is our third RV, and I thought I did a really good inspection. Heck, I still missed a couple small things.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

I even videotaped my pdi. Cardinal rule is to never give them money until the pdi is completed and things are fixed to your satisfaction.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #11
New Camper

how has your experience been with the Monticello? We got ours in April and have been well pleased. Issues have been minor and all taken care of quickly. I try to do as much of the "little things" as I can, as I can do it quicker and with less hassle.
Big Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:01 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

We love our Monticello. We had one awning light bar replaced and a hinge for a cabinet came loose. Eazy repairs. The unit is so insulated. Love the cozyness.

Ram 3500
Rushmore Monticello
gone camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #13
New Camper

Ditto on lites

We've had similar issue on awning lites. They've been replaced and currently one of our awnings won't go out due to wiring issue, possibly from wiring after replace of lites.
Our awning go out rather slowly and retraction is infernally slow, have you had this experience?
Ours was one of the initial units off the assembly line on first run of production. Even as one of the first it has been remarkably without workmanship issues. Almost all have been outside vendor products.
How do you like the SchwinTek slide out mechanism on the bedroom slides? They are really simple and are pretty neat item in my view.
Well, enjoy yours and I'll plan to do the same. Take care!
Big Papa is offline   Reply With Quote