Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

update on my new 2013 jefferson

Well, we have camped in our camper every weekend this summer and knock on wood, I have not had the first problem with anything. I have a permanent site at our campground and everyone that has seen it wants one. The only thing I had to do is buy a new hitch to give me 3 more inches of clearance since my truck is only a 2 wheel drive. But now winter is right around the corner it is going to need to be winterized and they did not show me how to do it and the book don't show me either. I seen the sticker outside by the outside shower that says winterize but don't know if it is only one valve or more and how much antifreeze it will take to do the job and what to do with the water filter in the coach. Can anyone give me a detailed step by step on the Jefferson? I checked the winterized section on this site but nothing on the Rushmore. I love this camper and don't want to screw the coach up since I have had no problems so far.My 04 coachman took 2 gallons.

Thank You
Bob
Old 09-08-2014, 01:00 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Super
Did you do a PDI with your dealer when you took ownership of your camper? Do you plan on leaving the camper at your seasonal site at the campground? If so how far is the dealership from the campground? What I am getting at is, with the amount of money you payed for your camper I think I would call the dealer and tell him I want one of their tech's to meet you at the RUSHMORE and SHOW you how to winterize your camper... Two more words (video tape)...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

If you do a search on YouTube you will probably come up with a bunch of videos on winterizing. Usually the procedure is the same no matter what type of RV you own. Main thing is to bypass the hot water heater or you might wind up buying ten gallons of unneeded antifreeze. There should be a bypass valve and another to let water flow through the hot water faucets bypassing the tank. REMEMBER TO TURN THESE BACK TO THEIR ORIGINAL SETTINGS IN THE SPRING!!!! Drain the hot water heater by opening the drain plug on the exterior or your RV. Also drain the fresh water tank.
Basically once the hot water heater is bypassed you find the water pump. Once the pump is located you take the fill hose and stick it into the antifreeze jug. Turn on the water pump then the faucets, one at a time. Run the faucets until the antifreeze comes out. Repeat for all faucets. Don't forget the exterior shower! Pour enough antifreeze into each drain to fill the P traps and cover the bottom of the gray tank. Do that for all sinks. Pour enough antifreeze into the toilet to cover the bottom of the black tank. Put enough in the toilet bowl to keep the seal wet. A cup or two is sufficient. Put enough in the fresh water tank to cover the bottom.

Those steps should get you all set for winter.

I use the blow out method where I screw a blow out valve (Wal-Mart sells 'em) and use compressed air to blow out all the water. I then pour enough antifreeze into the sinks, toilets and tanks. This method uses less RV antifreeze than the above.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
Site Team

Art, I agree with all you posted, except this part,

Put enough in the fresh water tank to cover the bottom.

Do not pour any RV anti freeze in the fresh water tank!!!!!
You will spend the rest of your life trying to get it all out. If the drain plug was on the bottom instead of the side on the tank it wouldn't be quite as bad.
Besides, it's not necessary. If you drain the tank as best you can there will be enough room for expansion to accommodate any freezing.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Art, I agree with all you posted, except this part,

Put enough in the fresh water tank to cover the bottom.

Do not pour any RV anti freeze in the fresh water tank!!!!!
You will spend the rest of your life trying to get it all out. If the drain plug was on the bottom instead of the side on the tank it wouldn't be quite as bad.
Besides, it's not necessary. If you drain the tank as best you can there will be enough room for expansion to accommodate any freezing.
X2. Also you will have switch the valve at the water pump to draw anti-freeze into the lines.
Great info from Art
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Art and Lloyd. That's why some dump vodka in their fresh water tank. Works like antifreeze.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Great info Guys! The only other thing I would add is don't forget the laundry hookups. The water needs to be completely out of there also so use a bucket and make sure the RV antifreeze is through those lines as well. Flush well next season! Easy peasy!

M&R
2016 High Country SILVERADO 2500HD DURAMAX/Allison
RJHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Or do what I do. Live in it year round.. camping everyday.. can't go wrong there.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

HI Tommy,
I had a pdi but they did not show me how to winterize it, The dealer is 5 hours away in Michigan. They said to turn a valve and winterize it from outside by the outside shower but their has to be more than one valve like the water heater valve and it has a filter system in it also.I semper Fi Marine. I retired in 2002.Maybe I will take it and have it done the first time so I can watch and learn, My coachmen was easy I just had to get to the pump in the basement and turn the water heater valve in the living room.
Thank You all for your responses.
Bob