Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
New Camper

Water tank & heater bypass-Rushmore

2013 Crossroads Jefferson. We have tried to switch from fresh water to our tank and the pump we have is supposed to be totally automatic prime. Water does not come through...? Also, when we winterized, we flipped the hot water tank bypass, and nothing came through the hot water side of the faucets. Major dilemma’s for my husband and I...
lmbryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

How does one switch from fresh water to tank? There is no switch, it’s automatic in the sense that if your on city water pressure it is tied into the feed line of the pump discharge. The pump suction line only draws from the tank OR when you switch it to winterized - it then sucks from the water connection located in the utility area where all the other valves are located.
Your thoughts fellow crossroads owners?
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:40 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Perhaps the bypass was in non bypass mode and the antifreeze was flowing into the water heater? I have a switch for my water pump that must be turned on to run water from freshwater tank.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:12 PM   #4
Site Team

I don't know what your set up looks like, but are you sure you have all the valves in the correct position?

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I believe all Rushmores have a single water heater bypass valve located on the utility panel. So I think it is unlikely that the problem lies there.

Also, if the fresh water tank has water in it (at least 10 gallons to be sure there is enough), it doesn't matter whether the water heater is bypassed or not, or has antifreeze in it. If the water pump is turned on and working properly, you will get water out of both the hot and cold faucets.

Is the pump making a noise when turned on or is it quiet? If the pump sounds like it is running, but no water is coming out, then you may have a defective pump. (There is nothing you can do to prime it.)

One more thought. Is the valve that controls whether the pump sucks from the fresh water tank or "antifreeze fill" tube set correctly? If it has been left in the position that causes the pump to suck from the fill tube instead of the tank, then this is your problem. (The bypass valve is located behind the utility panel, if your Rushmore is like mine.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:29 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Look inside the basement and open up the door that allows access to behind the wet bay. Just in front of the water pump is a valve. Turn it to switch the pump to the bypass mode. This worked for me. I also found a water filter hidden inside there as well.
NEVER2LATE is offline   Reply With Quote