Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2014, 06:57 AM   #1
New Camper

Why Quality Control at the factory will never be good

This is a simple matter of economics and motivation. The factory needs to move the units out to the dealer. The dealers will never complain about too many items to repair, because they make a ton of money repairing them. It's a catch 22. Make absolutely certain that your dealer is top notch in the repair arena before buying, and don't expect to pick up your new RV on Friday, head to the mountains and have a trouble free experience. Buy from a dealer that has an RV park adjacent, move in for a week (at no cost for the site) and be full time for that week. Make a very detailed list of all the issues that you find (and you will find!) then leave the unit with the dealer for a week or two to get the warranty approved, parts in, and repairs made. Make sure the dealer understands that delays and broken promises are not going to be accepted, and call the factory customer service and introduce yourself as a new owner. Set expectations for both the service folks and Customer Service, and communicate them in writing. It's work, but will make the whole process a great one! I speak from experience, we have had a ton of stuff done on our new Roosevelt, and we are very, very happy with her!
earvinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Glad to hear you are happy and issues have been fixed.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
New Camper

Just another note. Had a small issue last week and email Crossroads CS. Mark called me in the morning with apologies and resolution, and today I got a call from Andy Cripe (President, Crossroads) just to personally apologize for the inconvenience and assure me that the future is bright for Crossroads and their owners! Not a quick 'sorry', but a sincere, 11 minute conversation. Very impressive!
earvinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

That's good to hear.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by earvinery View Post
Just another note. Had a small issue last week and email Crossroads CS. Mark called me in the morning with apologies and resolution, and today I got a call from Andy Cripe (President, Crossroads) just to personally apologize for the inconvenience and assure me that the future is bright for Crossroads and their owners! Not a quick 'sorry', but a sincere, 11 minute conversation. Very impressive!

Good news!!
Thanks for the update. It's great to hear this stuff. I'm starting to believe CR has turned the corner.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
Site Team

Turned the corner and starting to slowly get it's reputation back.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:43 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

It is definitely a good thing for crossroads but they have a long road to haul getting their good rep back after the damage the former management did. I hope they continue to head back in the direction of what they were when I bought in. They were such a great company back then.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Funny, received a call from President of Crossroads.
I have been dealing with Mark Quinn since May of 2013 with more than just a minor problem and never received a call back from anyone.
I agree they have a LONG road ahead of them.
KFedrowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

It is good to hear a good review from "earvinery" , but then just a couple of posts later a NOT so good one from "KFedrowitz". I am going to attend the Factory Rally this year, and will get a better idea how the company is doing after I take the tour of the factory. I think the main issue with quality is and has always been the assembly line just moves tooo fast.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

On the redwood forums, some of the old 'fixed' issues are starting to resurface...

Sad !
Old 04-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

In reading these post I'm wondering if Crossroads even has a quality control or assembly inspection department. I'm the second owner of a discontinued 2010 Kingston 5er 35SB and I'm beginning think that,

#1) some (not all) of the folks there take no pride in what they are doing,
#2) there is no quaility inspections taking place prior to shoving the unit out the door and
#3) I really surprised that the previous owner didn't find and have things corrected.

Example: Water line from the water heater kinked so bad that almost no water could flow through it. How do you miss that?

With all that being said, my dealer has corrected everything that I've given him and I really do like this camper.

Randy McCaslin
Jonesboro, Georgia
2010 CR Kingston 35SB
2011 Chevy 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison
rvscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvscooter View Post
In reading these post I'm wondering if Crossroads even has a quality control or assembly inspection department. I'm the second owner of a discontinued 2010 Kingston 5er 35SB and I'm beginning think that,

#1) some (not all) of the folks there take no pride in what they are doing,
#2) there is no quaility inspections taking place prior to shoving the unit out the door and
#3) I really surprised that the previous owner didn't find and have things corrected.

Example: Water line from the water heater kinked so bad that almost no water could flow through it. How do you miss that?

With all that being said, my dealer has corrected everything that I've given him and I really do like this camper.
Boy do I feel your pain. I am the 2nd owner of my 2011 ST 30RE and everywhere I look I see examples of sloppy work. I started the repair of the water leaks on the joint where the roofing meets the front cap. I have attached a pic showing one reason water ran in. The roofing material was cut short than they cover the gap with Dicor or whatever sealant they used. Both ends of the seam were the same. I am repairing with Eternabond products.

I also replaced the bathroom fan with a Fantastic unit. I thought the cheap little fan was bad, but it turned out the non-strip connectors were improperly installed. Strip, solder and good 3M electrical tape is much better connection. (Add shrink wrap on anything exposed to weather.) I would have replaced the original fan anyway, but it reinforces the awful looking electrical anywhere one looks. Believe me as a 41 year electrician I know bad when I see it.

I will post other photos of the entire roof seam repair when I have finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0010 (Medium).JPG (162.2 KB, 20 views)

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
It is good to hear a good review from "earvinery" , but then just a couple of posts later a NOT so good one from "KFedrowitz". I am going to attend the Factory Rally this year, and will get a better idea how the company is doing after I take the tour of the factory. I think the main issue with quality is and has always been the assembly line just moves tooo fast.
I agree - the line must move too fast. We will also be at the Shipshewana rally in July.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:29 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

I glad to hear the good with the bad...As for the pride in thing...Today I don't think anybody has pride in there job anymore. Companies only look at the numbers. Everything today is a number and not a person. They keep looking for way to make more if it means to cut corners...
2015 Sunset ST32RL
Wantabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:32 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Unfortunately, the consumer is part of the problem. Consumers want everything for a low price, and the only way a manufacturer can make money is to cut production costs.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #16
New Camper

I hear what you are saying. But if they took a little more care and better quality parts when they are slapping them together there should be no issues.
My pet peeve is the cheap plastic fender flares that keep breaking for no reason, one day they are fine and then for no reason they crack.
They should be made from aluminum, may cost a little more but would be better then replacing them every couple of years, especially when the local dealer keeps no stock and have to wait 4-6 weeks and hope they get the color right.
techoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

I agree with you, but unfortunately, from the manufacturer's point of view, it's a bit of money saved here, some there, and it all adds up. I am not defending them, just trying to identify the reason for cheap construction.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #18
New Camper

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Unfortunately, the consumer is part of the problem. Consumers want everything for a low price, and the only way a manufacturer can make money is to cut production costs.
Bottom line is profit, the manufacturer cares about nothing else. After doing some minor repairs and having to remove a few things to complete them I am appalled at the lack of workmanship. They just do not care once the trailer is sold. Like everything else they are disposable and that is what they want in the hope you will buy another one. But they should remember, STRIKE ONE AND YOU ARE OUT.
techoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

[QUOTE=techoil;76692]Bottom line is profit, the manufacturer cares about nothing else. After doing some minor repairs and having to remove a few things to complete them I am appalled at the lack of workmanship. They just do not care once the trailer is sold. Like everything else they are disposable and that is what they want in the hope you will buy another one. But they should remember, STRIKE ONE AND YOU ARE OUT.[/QUOTE

For most people, it's a lot like having your car washed. You'll never be satisfied because you didn't do it.
Allison Transmission
Fatboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:18 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

like I posted before, we had way toooooo many problems with ours. Finally got it back and now there are more problems. My husband thinks that every time we move this unit something will break or fall apart.
KFedrowitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repairs, roosevelt, rushmore, warranty