Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

3612 Additional Air Conditioner(s)

I have a '13 3612 that came with just one air conditioning unit, located directly above the tv. I believe I was told at delivery that the vent opening above the master bed is pre-wired for an additional unit.. Can someone confirm this?

Also, given that is the case, I'm curious just what's involved - am I simply terminating wires, and then it'll operate in concert with the original unit, taking cues from that same thermostat?

Lastly, I'm also interested in adding yet another air conditioning unit in the garage area. I assume I'll have to wire this one myself, likely with surface-mount conduit and a switch on the wall. Can anyone advise any reason why that's a good/bad idea?

Thank you all in advance..
Old 06-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

If you are prewired for a secound A/C in the bedroom there should be a junction box next to the vent with a solid outlet cover on it with a label on it. As for it working with your current thermostate there would have to be thermostate wirring in that junction box along with the 110v and then you would need to have a dual zone thermostate. Our secound A/C is independent and has seperate controls in the bedroom.

As for adding a third A/C unit, you would need to either wire it to the current breaker box (if you have room to add an additional breaker) or you would need to put in a small breaker box with a seperate power cord that you could plug into the 20amp side of the pedestal and then add a thermostate in the cargo area. The only problem with doing it this way is sometimes the 20amp side of the pedestal is just a branch off of either the 30amp or 50amp and if you try to run that A/C along with other A/C or appliances in your unit you can have problems tripping breakers.

An example: We were camping at a state park and was in a 30/20amp site and was plugging into the 30amp side which we couldn't get any power from even after checking breakers, etc. so I decided to try the 20amp side and nothing there either. When maintenance came out they said that the 30amp plug was bad and the 20amp branched off the 30amp plug causing it to not work also.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Are you a full timer and less mobile or do you move around a lot...
Would you use the third garage ac off the generator or just when on shore power? Are you in a humid climate where you need AC or dry desert where an Evaporative cooler would work ?

How about a ductless model ? or here...

You might research what I saw on an rv show the other day and what I had done to my hippy dippy shag carpeted van back in the 60's

Just put a separate unit that has a cord to plug into the pedestal on it's own leg !!! there are some pretty neat 'thin' one room ac's out there now !
Old 06-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

As Phil stated, if your unit is pre-wired for the 2nd A/C, there will be a junction box next to the bedroom vent. There will also be a small, white grill (about 1 inch in diameter) mounted on a bedroom wall and the thermostat will be the Dometic CCC2 model (meaning it can control more than one A/C).

If all this is true, hidden by the plastic 14x14 vent, there will be two pre-wired plugs, similar to telephone cables. One connects to the CCC2 and the other to the remote temp sensors (small, white grill).

You can buy a Dometic A/C that is pre-configured with the correct control board to work with the CCC2. A separate decision is ducted or non-ducted. On my Cruiser, I discovered than the duct and vents was really inadequate for two units to run at the same time, so I decided on a non-ducted unit. I like having both units controlled from a single thermostat and that the sensor for the bedroom unit is NOT right inside the A/C but rather located in the room.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I do have the junction box, but I'll have to check which thermostat, but I do believe I've seen some mention of a second zone on the thermostat, so I'm hopeful it's the right one. Based on what y'all have told me, I'm also going to look into getting a stand-alone unit for the garage that I can plug into the pedestal on it's own.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I have a '13 3612 that has both AC units. I believe the bedroom temperature sensor is mounted on the wall directly below the bedroom TV, if equipped as part of the pre-wire option. As mentioned above, your thermostat should allow dual zone independent use. With both AC units running, after a short period of time the garage area cools off nicely and stays cool. The garage is ducted from the living area AC unit, and has much better flow than the furnace ducts. The bedrrom AC actually helps the main AC unit work more efficiently. In my situation, where we travel to events and usually have another couple using the garage as their bedroom there has been no need for a 3rd AC, even in 90+ degree temperatures.
President, Susquehanna Valley Chapter Shelby Dodge Auto Club (SDAC).
denviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by denviola View Post
I have a '13 3612 that has both AC units. I believe the bedroom temperature sensor is mounted on the wall directly below the bedroom TV, if equipped as part of the pre-wire option. As mentioned above, your thermostat should allow dual zone independent use. With both AC units running, after a short period of time the garage area cools off nicely and stays cool. The garage is ducted from the living area AC unit, and has much better flow than the furnace ducts. The bedrrom AC actually helps the main AC unit work more efficiently. In my situation, where we travel to events and usually have another couple using the garage as their bedroom there has been no need for a 3rd AC, even in 90+ degree temperatures.
That's great news. At an outside temp above 80, the single unit can't keep up, and in the lower 90s, sitting in direct sunlight as it has been for the last week or so, the interior temp climbs well into the 80s.

denviola, if it's not too much trouble, d'ya think you could get a Model Number off the unit in your bedroom? I'd like to be as certain as possible that I'm installing one that's properly sized.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

if u are in the south - get at least a 15k unit... you can never have too much ac

and save your back - go let campingworld install it for $39 !!!

http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...s=p_price_pc|1
Old 06-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
That's great news. At an outside temp above 80, the single unit can't keep up, and in the lower 90s, sitting in direct sunlight as it has been for the last week or so, the interior temp climbs well into the 80s.

denviola, if it's not too much trouble, d'ya think you could get a Model Number off the unit in your bedroom? I'd like to be as certain as possible that I'm installing one that's properly sized.
I took the unit in yesterday for roof repair and may not have it back for several weeks, so it is not here to check the AC model number. I have some documentation to look through, and was thinking both units were 13.5 or 15 K units. Will check to be sure. The bedroom unit blows directly down on the bed, and the wife likes it cold. There is no installed deflector to change the air flow in the bed room. I'm sure something is either available or could be made to work. I don't mind the air flow directly on me, and it will cycle with the temperature.

Since you are located in a warmer area (I'm in Pa.), you my wish to consider a third unit installed or portable. Just saying what worked for me im July and August at mid 90s, high humidity and little to no shade. We go to motorcycle events and car shows (Carlisle and others) and typically set up in a parking lot or field. The 3612 works great as HQ for our car club, and we host a club picnic on Saturday nights at the Carlisle Chrysler show.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Just checked the build sheet for my unit, both AC are 15K. Does not list manufacturer but both look the same. Will not be able to give better details until it's back.
I agree with johnboytoo, bigger is better for AC. It's OK if too big, but can't overcome too small. If you can get $39 installation at CW as he said, suggest you go for it.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denviola View Post
I have a 3912 with two 15k units. I hardly ever use the bedroom AC unit. How does using the bedroom AC unit help the main AC keep the garage cool?

They aren't connected, and the main AC ducting doesn't use zoned dampners, so I'm curious how it would affect the garage.

Note: I'm looking to learn something here, not challenging your post.

Keeping the garage area cool is a challenge for me too.

2013 Elevation 3912
2017 Dodge RAM 3500HD Dually with AISIN
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishmatt View Post
I have a 3912 with two 15k units. I hardly ever use the bedroom AC unit. How does using the bedroom AC unit help the main AC keep the garage cool?

They aren't connected, and the main AC ducting doesn't use zoned dampners, so I'm curious how it would affect the garage.

Note: I'm looking to learn something here, not challenging your post.

Keeping the garage area cool is a challenge for me too.
I may be off base here, but this is what I'm thinking. Using only 1 AC unit to cool the entire unit is a struggle in the higher outside temperatures as the ducted main AC has to cool the entire unit. Most of the cooling effect is "lost" overcoming thermal radiation from the roof materials into the duct work until an equilibrium temperature is reached in the duct work. Only then can the cooled air be used to effectively reduce the thermal temperature in the rooms. Maximum cooling is achieved when the reflected temperature from walls, furniture, etc. are eliminated.

Using the second AC to cool the bedroom rapidly removes the heat load from 1/4 to 1/3 of the entire camper. This reduces the load on the main AC unit. Remember the AC ducts supply the cool air to the different rooms, but the warm air is recycled back into both AC units through their own return air intake, built in to recycle the warm air. We normally keep the bedroom door and garage sliding door open, so return air flow is not inhibited. A 15K AC unit does not take long to cool the bedroom, so some of that cool air is carry over return air flow to the main AC unit. If the return air is not as warm, a higher rate of cooling is achieved through the main AC heat exchanger.

So by effectively reducing the total amount of camper space to be cooled by the main AC through use of the bedroom AC, and the cooler return temperatures to the main AC, an efficiency gain in heat exchange through reduced output temperature may be realized from the main AC unit. That more efficient (cooler) flow ensures the main living space and garage are cooled. The camper reaches and maintains the desired temperature faster.

This is what I'm thinking based on my observations and learnings. It may or may not be totally correct, so please feel free to comment on or correct my statements. BTW, if you keep the door from the main living space to the garage closed, not sure if you can achieve a proper return flow to the main AC unit and the rate of cooling and ability to maintain comfort level in the garage may be severely limited. My unit has the glass sliding doors to garage so there are no gaps under or over doors as in the bedroom or bathroom doors.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

On my Cruiser, I used a 13.5k Dometic Penguin II low profile unit, configured to work with the CCC2 thermostat requires model #641815. There are a bunch of different model numbers for ducted or non-ducted, with CCC2 or with other thermostats or built in manual controls, also with heat strip or heat pump versions. The air distribution box (non-ducted) is part #3310742.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote