Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
New Camper

Altitude Toy Haulers

Presently we have a Work & Play TT toy hauler. For my ATV racing, its hard to beat. But at my age, I know next year is probably my farewell year.

The Work & Play is tough as nails but the thought of camping with it after racing is not what we want. Its too small and not a very "nice" camper when one thinks of camping at Disneyworld or Myrtle Beach for a week or more.

I have a 2015 F350 SRW CC LB. I don't want another dually so I'm looking at 5er toy haulers with lighter than usual pin weights. The XLRs are a great example of that. But I recently saw my preferred toy hauler dealer is carrying Altitudes. They've always carried Raptors, Fuzions, Cyclones, XLRs, and Work & Plays. As far as I know, this is their first time with Crossroads toy haulers because I've never seen any Elevations there. They have two 3512s and two 3712s according to their website. I'm really liking the pics of the 3712s and the specs. Not to mention a hitch weight under 2500 lbs. and a price tag considerably less than the larger XLRs.

Now that I've drug this post out, does anyone have any good details on these units? Why such a cheaper price? I see they don't have self-leveling jacks but I don't see a whole lot of difference else without putting my hands on it in person. Is it a wooden frame versus aluminum? Where are we saving the thousands of dollars compared to other brands? Even the Raptor Carbons and Fuzion Impacts aren't quite this low.

Thanks for any help here. My dealer is 96 miles from the house so I'd rather start here versus take a whole day just to window shop.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
Site Team

First, check out the Crossroads website. Home - CrossRoads RV I don't have one, but my neighbor does. They love it for hauling their cycles. I do know that it is an aluminum framed rv. Hopefully, some owners will chime in.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
New Camper

Thanks Mark. I know its a fairly new model so owner comments will be hard to find. I posted this same inquiry on rv.net 3 days ago and its had 153 views and zero comments.

We had a Cyclone 370C a few years ago. It was a very poor camper. We loved the look but really disliked the quality and the manufacturer who built it. This 3712 looks similar to our Cyclone and similar in features. I like that. But if we buy another camper with issues like that camper had, we may go back to the hotel life.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

361 lev raptor owner 2010 only have had problems what they put in them such as landing jacks should have 2 separate motors. Converter and transfer switch very cheap. St tires brand Cheap. The trailor itself great. Bottom line what ever you buy your going to have to replace some component that is made by some other brand. Crossroad is no different than any others. If you like your rig that's what counts.
Randy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:31 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

We have a 2015 Elevation Talladega. We have been very happy with it. I did do a post earlier that outlines a few of the minor issues that we've had, but all were fixed quite easily without a trip to the dealer. We are also in NC and we bought ours at Camping World in Raleigh. They were very easy to deal with and we got a great price. I'm pulling mine with a 2012 Ram CC DRW and it pulls great. It does have about 3300 lbs on the pin which might be a bit more than you would want without a dually. We didn't really look at the Altitude toy haulers, but I would guess that quality is fairly similar to our Elevation. I have learned over the years that every new RV has it's minor issues, but Crossroads seems to be pretty easy to deal with. I wish you the best of luck and happy camping.

Bill and Kim Wandrack
Wake Forest NC
2015 Crossroads Elevation Talladega
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW
6.7L High Output Diesel
AISIN 6 spd auto 4:10
bwandrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:07 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

The Altitude Toy Hauler is the standard or entry model, while the Elevation is marketed as the Luxury Toy Hauler. Go to the Crossroads RV web site and you will be able to compare standard features. Had the opportunity to see the Altitude brand for the first time this year at the Hershey RV show and speak with Michelle, who is the regional brand manager for Elevation and Altitude.

I found the Altitude to have good fit and finish, and appears to be a good value. Was especially impressed that not only did Michelle listen to us, but followed up with a phone call a few weeks after the show just to discuss our thoughts.
President, Susquehanna Valley Chapter Shelby Dodge Auto Club (SDAC).
denviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:46 PM   #7
New Camper

Thanks all. Good to know.

Bill. You and I are somewhat neighbors. We're in Garner and have been to CW obviously a few times. I had no clue they carried any Elevations. I just knew some of the staff there were people who worked for Hawley's and we wanted nothing to do with that. Hawley's had a reputation not too good and we had experienced it firsthand.

Anyway, tomorrow is a rain day so no lawn maintenance work for me; especially this time of year. I'm taking the day off and we're headed up to Danville to take a look firsthand at the Altitudes they have in stock right now. According to the website, they have six. We'll see.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:51 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Sounds like you had a similar experience to us with Hawley's. The big trick at CW is finding the right sales person. We worked with a gentleman named JT and he was excellent. They really made the process very easy for us. My only issue was that we had to wait a while on delivery morning and that gave my wife way too much time to spend more money. I haven't had to deal with them for service yet, knock on wood, but hopefully it won't be too painful. Good luck in Danville. They always have a lot to look at there.

Bill and Kim Wandrack
Wake Forest NC
2015 Crossroads Elevation Talladega
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW
6.7L High Output Diesel
AISIN 6 spd auto 4:10
bwandrack is offline   Reply With Quote