Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
TnT
New Camper

Can not find Fresh water Tank drain valves.

I have a 2015 Elevation Las Vegas and I have de-winterized my RV but I am having trouble shutting off the fresh water tank valve. I found one line that has a valve below the belly wrap but can not find the other. I put water in the tank but it just leaks right out of the other drain pipe. Does anyone know where this valve is?
TnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:39 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Most fresh water tanks only have a single drain line, not two. But maybe you have two tanks. Also they don't have a valve, just a cap that threads off or on. If the line that is draining has threads on the end, then you need to find the cap for it. Generally, the only drain lines that have valves are the low point drains for the hot and cold water lines. Hope this helps you a little.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

We have a similar unit (Heartland Elevation) and the fresh water tanks have been trouble for us since day one. Ours had no drain at all. Our dealer installed a drain valve for us under warranty, but the small 1/2" valve takes FOREVER to drain the tank and it doesn't even completely drain all the water. I have a hunch that the valve only drains one of the tanks.

Before our last trip, I knew we'd have hookups most of the time, so I opened the valve and let it drain overnight. The next morning it was done draining and I shut the valve. The sensor showed that the tank was 2/3 full (which doesn't mean much to me, since these sensors aren't reliable), but there was absolutely still water in the tank. There was plenty of water for toilet flushes, washing hands, and even a shower. It still isn't empty.

The other issue I have with the fresh tanks is that it's hard to fill them. The vent lines loop back down below the bottom of the tanks, so if I fill the tanks full enough for any water to bleed from the vents, it will siphon 30-40 gallons out of the tanks, which is ridiculous.

Our rig is back at the dealer for this and a list of other issues.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

Most likely the one with the valve is the drain, the other is the vent/overflow which is usually connected to the small screened vent next to fill port. You will have to add a valve to the vent line to stop it from siphoning all the water from the tank, just be sure if you add a valve to open it when filling the tank or you could rupture the tank by not having it vented while filling.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I can tell you that on my Elevation 3912 the fresh water drain valve is below the underbelly, literally on top on the front axle.

There are several low point drain lines as Larry Day mentions, but there is a drain valve line too. It took me about a year to find mine, then one day I just "saw it".

Look in the area near the middle of the unit, over the front axle.

2013 Elevation 3912
2017 Dodge RAM 3500HD Dually with AISIN
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote