Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Fresh water tank drain?

Hi Elevation owners. I haven't been able to find the handle or the drain for the fresh water tank(s). I mentioned this in an email to Crossroads and they kindly assured me that it's there. But where?

My belly is enclosed with fabric, so I can't see where things go.

On my old toy hauler I had a big hande under the stairs and a drain right behind it. I can't find anything like this on my Elevation.

This weekend on our shakedown trip I wanted to mess with the fresh water. Even though we had hookups, I wanted to check out the fresh water system. How loud is the pump, etc.

I started to fill the tank, but after just a few minutes I looked at the gauge and it read full. Impossible. Either the dealer filled the tank or the gauge is wrong. I'd like to empty it out and start from zero, but I can't figure out how.

I was pleasantly suprised though that the water pump is so much quieter than the one in our last rig. IT WAS SO LOUD. The old one sounded like a diesel air brake. This one is pretty mild in comparison.

I spend quite a while this afternoon examining the belly and finally gave up. I don't see a handle or a drain.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Hey speaking of draining, it took longer than I expected to drain the tanks today. Actually there were a couple of surprises.

First, I woke up in the wee hours with the alarming thought that every sales guy and customer has been fooling with those valve handles and what if the black,gray tanks weren't actually closed after this full weekend of use. So when I went to dump I made sure the dump hose was secure at the sewer end and stretched in place so I could hook it up quickly when I removed the cap. Sure enough, I took off the cap and about a gallon of gray (luckily) water jumped out at me like a joke can of snakes. I was ready though.

But once everything was in motion, I was surprised at how long it took for the tanks to actually drain. Between the black and two gray tanks, it took close to a half hour to drain them all. We had only been out for a weekend and didn't use them much. Is this normal?
Old 03-27-2016, 07:47 PM   #3
Site Team

Drain for fresh water should be near the filler underneath the rv. Look around, it may be hidden by chassis. Use a twist on valve on your waste pipe to prevent any water, gray or black from rushing out.

Twist-on Valve - Valterra T58 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World

Always drain black first and then open the gray to flush the line. Use the black tank rinse until you see clear water and pour a bucket down the sink for the gray tank.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:16 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

The fresh water drain on my Elevation is not a handle like you are used to. My drain is actually a valve that is the same as a low point drain. If you look under the trailer there should be two chrome colored valves close together and then one all by itself. The one by itself is the fresh tank drain. It is a very small orifice and takes a long time to drain the tank. At least that is the way it is on mine. I don't understand why they build every one different but I have not seen two built the same way yet.
E Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Schultz View Post
The fresh water drain on my Elevation is not a handle like you are used to. My drain is actually a valve that is the same as a low point drain. If you look under the trailer there should be two chrome colored valves close together and then one all by itself. The one by itself is the fresh tank drain. It is a very small orifice and takes a long time to drain the tank. At least that is the way it is on mine. I don't understand why they build every one different but I have not seen two built the same way yet.
That makes sense. Not that it makes sense how they built it, but your description makes sense. I'll give it a try. I hate to waste the water, but I need to start from zero before I fill my tanks the first time so I can be sure I really have a full tank. I don't want to get out to the desert and be surprised.

What's your experience when you dump your waste tanks? I don't know if you've had other RVs before, but do these tanks seem to take longer to drain than others?
Old 03-28-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Drain for fresh water should be near the filler underneath the rv. Look around, it may be hidden by chassis. Use a twist on valve on your waste pipe to prevent any water, gray or black from rushing out.

Twist-on Valve - Valterra T58 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World

Always drain black first and then open the gray to flush the line. Use the black tank rinse until you see clear water and pour a bucket down the sink for the gray tank.
I was wishing I had a valve like this when I opened my cap. I just ordered one from Amazon this morning.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

The Tanks take longer to drain than any of my other previous RVs. I think it is the way it is plumbed. The tank level indicators are Crap and never seem to work right. I can leave the tank drain open for two days and the level still says full. the fresh water tank is the same way I can fill it until it overflows and it will say it is empty. Be careful with filling the Fresh water tank if you overfill it and it starts to drain mine will syphon 1/2 the tank before it quits. Bad design on the overflow line.
E Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Schultz View Post
The Tanks take longer to drain than any of my other previous RVs. I think it is the way it is plumbed. The tank level indicators are Crap and never seem to work right. I can leave the tank drain open for two days and the level still says full. the fresh water tank is the same way I can fill it until it overflows and it will say it is empty. Be careful with filling the Fresh water tank if you overfill it and it starts to drain mine will syphon 1/2 the tank before it quits. Bad design on the overflow line.
I had a similar problem filling the fresh tank on my last toy hauler. I used a spout with a shutoff valve and a gauge on it. After about fifty gallons I would shut off the valve and listen to the vents (two tanks). If the vents were burping too hard I would wait a minute or two for the venting to catch up with the filling. The gauge was handy to prevent overfilling. I could also use it to fill more precisely depending on the number of days we were camping and the number of people coming with us. I'll have to build a short piece of hose to attach the gauge and a valve to.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I called Crossroads customer service this morning. They said that the low point drain handle in the main service hatch should open the drains. They told me to take it to the dealer to have it repaired under warranty.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Sooo, I have a 2013 Elevation 3912. I still cannot locate the Fresh Tank Drain. What/where is the main service hatch referenced above?

I've been using the water pump to move the water to both Grey Tanks, then pull the Grey 1 and 2 drain.

If anyone has a pic or two to share, that would be great.

2013 Elevation 3912
2017 Dodge RAM 3500HD Dually with AISIN
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishmatt View Post
Sooo, I have a 2013 Elevation 3912. I still cannot locate the Fresh Tank Drain. What/where is the main service hatch referenced above?

I've been using the water pump to move the water to both Grey Tanks, then pull the Grey 1 and 2 drain.

If anyone has a pic or two to share, that would be great.
It's not a service hatch. I don't know if yours has an insulated belly, but mine does. The insulation covers up all of the pluming and wiring underneath the trailer. Is yours covered or exposed? If it's exposed, you should be able to see the pluming going into your tank(s) to see if there is a valve handle down there.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
It's not a service hatch. I don't know if yours has an insulated belly, but mine does. The insulation covers up all of the pluming and wiring underneath the trailer. Is yours covered or exposed? If it's exposed, you should be able to see the pluming going into your tank(s) to see if there is a valve handle down there.

Exposed would be too easy...mine is totally sealed/covered up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Elevation 3912
Old 07-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Look for a white pipe with a cap on it underneath your tank that cap unscrews and draind the water
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Look for a white pipe with a cap on it underneath your tank that cap unscrews and draind the water
Yeah, nothing there. All I see is a Blue line (Cold Water system Drain), a Red Line (Hot Water Drain), then another nondescript line next to the 2nd (Galley) Grey Tank pull...that doesn't drain anything when I remove the cap...even when the Fresh Tank is full.

There is nothing obvious at all...

2013 Elevation 3912
Old 07-24-2016, 03:44 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

if you look underneath, protruding from the belly covering are 2 (at least on my 3912) white tubes with black caps on them near the front axle. Unscrew the black caps, drains the water tanks.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

RESOLUTION: Just got my trailer back from the dealer and they handled this under warranty service. They installed a very small 1/2" drain valve under the belly between the second and third wheels on the driver side. I tested it and the valve works, but it will take an eternity to actually drain the tank. I let it run for about 30 min last night and never saw the level sensor move. I'll drain it the rest of the way this weekend.

Problem solved. It's not a great solution, but at least it's solved. I loved the big 2" dump valve on my old Weekend Warrior. Even with that big valve it took about 15 minutes to drain the fresh tanks.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #17
Site Team

You may be watching the level sensor for a long time. They often fail, and I never rely on them

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:10 PM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
You may be watching the level sensor for a long time. They often fail, and I never rely on them
That's why the drain was so important to me (besides the hygiene issue). I need to drain the tank and refill it with my hose meter connected so I'll know how much is actually in there at the start of the trip.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:13 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

My 2014 elevation has two drain tubes coming out of the fresh water tank. Even with both uncapped, it takes a while to drain.

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:14 PM   #20
Family Vacation Member

I likey.....I'm getting one of these.

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote