Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Looking for tips to make camping easier

Anyone have any "tips and tricks" for easier camping? ie... Is there an "easy" way to fill the gas tank when filling from a 5 gal container? Also the AC in the living room is so high it's hard to "redirect" the air flow to the back without climbing on a ladder... any suggestions on that? Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.
Mollymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

on our previous 5er, we used a handle type thingy something like this for the tall ac vents:
http://www.amazon.com/Unger-92134-36...s=reach+handle

or this:
http://www.amazon.com/Hanger-Hooker-...s=reach+handle
Old 08-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have a long set of BBQ tongs in the trailer. I use them to reach the a/c unit and flip the switch over.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Awesome suggestions... I think I even have one of these... Thank you so much.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Found that I needed a step stool for many things in my 3612, including the pulling/replacing the pins from the upper bunk in the garage. Bought an inexpensive lightweight 2 step stool for all of these out of reach items inside and out including use of the upper cabinets. Helps when cleaning the outside too, instead of using a ladder.

There was another thead on here in which someone posted that the gas tank fill actually entered the side of the tank and was not near the top. I looked at mine and found that was true, and the gas fill is nearly horizontal, with not much of a downward slope. I have to use a catch pan to catch the drips when filling. Also have never been able to get more than 18 gallons in the 30 gallon tank. My next TH will have the two tank option so I can fill the genrator tank from the toy tank.

Denny
President, Susquehanna Valley Chapter Shelby Dodge Auto Club (SDAC).
denviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denviola View Post
Found that I needed a step stool for many things in my 3612, including the pulling/replacing the pins from the upper bunk in the garage. Bought an inexpensive lightweight 2 step stool for all of these out of reach items inside and out including use of the upper cabinets. Helps when cleaning the outside too, instead of using a ladder.

There was another thead on here in which someone posted that the gas tank fill actually entered the side of the tank and was not near the top. I looked at mine and found that was true, and the gas fill is nearly horizontal, with not much of a downward slope. I have to use a catch pan to catch the drips when filling. Also have never been able to get more than 18 gallons in the 30 gallon tank. My next TH will have the two tank option so I can fill the genrator tank from the toy tank.

Denny
Hey Denny,

That's odd mate. My 3912's ONAN Genny runs from the toy tank. Seems like that should have been a no brainer...

Matt.

2013 Elevation 3912
2017 Dodge RAM 3500HD Dually with AISIN
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I too use a small, folding step stool that was purchased at Walmart. I fold it up and tuck it under our bed when traveling and leave it in the bathtub when we are camped. I use it in the shower to assist when I'm shaving my legs (BTW, I am a woman). Our trailer has 7 ft. ceilings and I'm about 5'4". It seems like a lot of things are out of my reach. I would be lost without my little step stool. Here's a hint for better baking in your camper oven. Purchase a pizza stone and place it on the bottom rack. It evens out the temperature and things bake better. Just don't leave it in the oven while traveling. Wrap the stone in a kitchen towel and store in a drawer.

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlongsta View Post
I use it in the shower to assist when I'm shaving my legs (BTW, I am a woman). .
Don't know many men that shave their legs in the shower but you never know these days. Thanks for clarifying.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishmatt View Post
Hey Denny,

That's odd mate. My 3912's ONAN Genny runs from the toy tank. Seems like that should have been a no brainer...

Matt.
Yes, but I only have the one tank which was advertised at 30 gallons I think but holds much less due to the fill location. Many new haulers have a 2 tank option, with the smaller tank for the generator and the larger for the toys.
You can pump from the large into the small (I'm told), which would be great for me when we dry camp at car and bike shows. What I have is not a hardship by any means. Just a couple of details and my 3612 will be perfect!
Cheers!
President, Susquehanna Valley Chapter Shelby Dodge Auto Club (SDAC).
denviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:08 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlongsta View Post
I too use a small, folding step stool that was purchased at Walmart. I fold it up and tuck it under our bed when traveling and leave it in the bathtub when we are camped. I use it in the shower to assist when I'm shaving my legs (BTW, I am a woman). Our trailer has 7 ft. ceilings and I'm about 5'4". It seems like a lot of things are out of my reach. I would be lost without my little step stool. Here's a hint for better baking in your camper oven. Purchase a pizza stone and place it on the bottom rack. It evens out the temperature and things bake better. Just don't leave it in the oven while traveling. Wrap the stone in a kitchen towel and store in a drawer.
Here's another hint for shaving your legs in the shower: rather than leaving the water running to rinse the razor, use a small bucket. You can fill the bucket while mixing the water for temperature. I dump the excess water down the toilet. It helps when you empty the black tank as there is more liquid then.

When the bucket is not in the shower it acts as a waste basket in the bathroom, and on the road it holds my dish detergent and a few things to keep them from spilling. Triple duty!

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Great idea Loneoak. We women have to always figure out ways to shave our legs especiallly now that I am civilized in an rv, unlike my tenting days when I didn't care about shaving my legs for a week or so!

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Hey Everyone... Great suggestions... Thank you so much for sharing them.